ONCE AND FOR ALL, WHICH IS THE BETTER ALBUM: Boy OR War?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drowning Man = Awful, just awful. Probably one of the worst songs U2 have recorded.

Absolutely :yes:

Especially lyrically, probably the only corny song Bono's ever written,

Anyway, let's see...

I will follow> SBS
Twilight> Seconds
An Cat Dubh< New Years day
Into the heart> Like a song
Out of Control> Drowning man
Another time, another place< Surrender
Stories for boys< Refugee
The Ocean< two hearts
A day without me< red light
Electric co< 40

Pretty even, but have to give it to War!

COBL_04 said:
Can I make a bold, daring statement? I think AtomicBono likes Pop...:reject:

:shocked: no way!!! What makes you think that?!

Okay I can't believe anyone can think Sunday Bloody Sunday is boring, Zoot I love you but sometimes I don't understand how your mind works :wink: especially live, that song is anything but boring.

Discotheque is WAY better than Sunday Bloody Sunday.

WHO AGREES WITH ME?!?!!?!? :hyper:

AtomicBono said:

Okay I can't believe anyone can think Sunday Bloody Sunday is boring, Zoot I love you but sometimes I don't understand how your mind works :wink: especially live, that song is anything but boring.

Discotheque is WAY better than Sunday Bloody Sunday.

WHO AGREES WITH ME?!?!!?!? :hyper:

Any song with a repetitive chorus bores the hell outta me after I've listened to it 7653747549 times. Same with I Still Haven't Found. Don't get me wrong... SBS is a great song w/ awesome lyrics, vocals, drums, guitar solo everything!! But the last couple of minutes from the 'wipe your tears away' part and the words sunday bloody sunday being repeated 2000 times is kinda meh. :slant:

And sure... Discotheque is more fun than SBS! :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Any song with a repetitive chorus bores the hell outta me after I've listened to it 7653747549 times. Same with I Still Haven't Found. Don't get me wrong... SBS is a great song w/ awesome lyrics, vocals, drums, guitar solo everything!! But the last couple of minutes from the 'wipe your tears away' part and the words sunday bloody sunday being repeated 2000 times is kinda meh. :slant:

Yeah I can see where you're coming from I suppose...(and I think Still Haven't Found is overrated)

does no one agree with me :sad:

War, other than the JT is the best album.

NYD? Incredible

Sunday Bloody Sunday, one of U2's best songs ever, and the best live performance you can have.

Drowning Man, excellent song, great lyrics, and everything

40' Great song

Just an excellent album overall.

Listen, the best way to appreciate War is to listen to it straight through. As a complete album, from start to finish, it's a masterpiece. If you think about the themes in each song & the strength of the music, and then look at the progression of the whole album. You start off with the fierce energy & rage of war: SBS, Seconds, NYD----and progress to the realization of how dumb war is, with Surrender & 40. An amazingly thoughtful & well put-together album for a young band and, in my opinion, the first album on which they truly hone their musical and lyrical skills.

This is a very tough decision because War has both SBS and NYD, 2 of my favorite U2 songs ever, but i think id have to go with Boy overall.......i think that the combination of An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, I Will Follow, Out Of Control, Electric Co., and Another Time, Another Place is better by the slimest margins against my top 5 on War (SBS, NYD, 2 Hearts, Seconds, and 40)

Utoo said:
Listen, the best way to appreciate War is to listen to it straight through. As a complete album, from start to finish, it's a masterpiece. If you think about the themes in each song & the strength of the music, and then look at the progression of the whole album. You start off with the fierce energy & rage of war: SBS, Seconds, NYD----and progress to the realization of how dumb war is, with Surrender & 40. An amazingly thoughtful & well put-together album for a young band and, in my opinion, the first album on which they truly hone their musical and lyrical skills.

You're absolutely right. I'm listening to it right now. Every song is gold... every song! And the album does flow very well. While the gorgeous Drowning Man shimmies it's way to end Side A, the soft and other-worldly 40 ends the album. Every song is pretty much a different interpretation of war, be it violence, unrest, nuclear threat, rebellion or suicide. 40 is the finale... the prayer to end all suffering.

:heart:

edit: Yes... and come to think of it.. I love Drowning Man. :up:

Cooper2000 said:
War, other than the JT is the best album.

NYD? Incredible

Sunday Bloody Sunday, one of U2's best songs ever, and the best live performance you can have.

Drowning Man, excellent song, great lyrics, and everything

40' Great song

Just an excellent album overall.

That is my ranking too. Jt then War. Love your take on songs. Nice to meet a fellow War lover.

starvinmarvin said:
I Will Follow > Sunday Bloody Sunday
Twilight < Seconds
ACD/ITH < New Year's Day
Out Of Control > Like A Song
Stories For Boys > Drowning Man
The Ocean < The Refugee
A Day Without Me < Two Hearts Beat As One
Another Time Another Place > Red Light
The Electric Co. > Surrender
Shadows And Tall Trees < "40"

War 5
Boy 5

So, I guess it's a draw for me...

Identical except Electric Co<Surrender

So war.

To put it another way...War has two 'classic' songs in SBS and NYD, and they were U2's first classics. But Boy flows better. I think this is the message people are sending.

COBL_04 said:
To put it another way...War has two 'classic' songs in SBS and NYD, and they were U2's first classics. But Boy flows better. I think this is the message people are sending.

I agree completely :) although Ive played War more times then Boy because of New Year's Day and Two Hearts Beat As One :drool:

Back
Top Bottom