ONCE AND FOR ALL, WHICH IS THE BETTER ALBUM: Boy OR War?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Palace_Hero said:
Drowning Man = Awful, just awful. Probably one of the worst songs U2 have recorded.

I completely disagree.

Drowning man is a great song

I don't own Boy, but I like War better. I've heard all the songs on Boy, and I like the album.

But I don't think it can compare to WAR.

SO, one more vote for WAR. Don't know what the score is.

MsMofoGone said:

Absolutely DAMN right about New Year's Day !! :bow: :applaud:

Drowning Man is such an emotionally mysterious song !! :up:
I love this song ... the emotion alone in Bono's vocals make me want to cry because it's so-ooo heartfelt !! :drool:

Mysterious and heartfelt don't cut it for me. Better production and enjoyable music do. Drowning Man makes me want to kill myself.

Really?

Wow

===== but there you go, look at the mysterious, emotional reactoin if gets out of you, if you want to kill yourself....

:eyebrow:

Oh I don't doubt it is a provocative song, not do i condemn the experimentation by U2 before the arrival of Eno/Lanois.

It is just in my opinion a ver unpalleteable (sp) song and I feel the same about the rest of the album.

It is an opinion, don't challenge it just because it is against the majority.

Palace_Hero said:

X & Y is Coldplays most sonically boring and contrived album, yet has been insanely popular and looks more successful than their previous two masterpieces.

I appreciate the success of War.

I couldn't care less about Coldplay or any of their music as that is a band I can not stand !! As for success, I'm not referring to the album's success in general ... I'm referring to the band becoming a success ... there is a difference between the two !! As Coldplay was successful and known ... well before X & Y was released !!
Although, that album seems to be their major successful album now over their previous ones !! As for U2 ... they were known of course when Boy first came out but they were not known as a successful band until War was released ... that is when Bono found his voice as several documentary programs have mentioned !! That is another reason why that album was considered a breakthrough for them :applaud:

MacPhistoPT said:
I can't understand your point... what's your problem with his reviews... his discovering U2 music... bashing new fans sucks a lot :madspit:

:huh:

I just don't think it's necessary for everyone to weigh in and give their two cents every time they pick up an album, especially when it's someone's impression on the first listen. How often are you blown away by albums on your first listen? I'd appreciate the threads more if he posted them after owning the albums for a couple of months. :shrug:

Boy:

I will follow 4,5/5
Twilight 2,5/5
An cat dubh 3,5/5
Into the heart 2,5/5
Out of control 5/5
Stories for boys 4/5
The ocean 2,5/5
A day without me 3/5
Another time, another place 3/5
The electric co 4,5/5
Shadows and tall trees 3/5

So that's 38/11=3,45

War:

Sunday bloody sunday 5/5
Seconds 3,5/5
New years day 4,5/5
Like a song... 3,5/5
Drowning man 2,5/5
The refugee 3,5/5
Two hearts beat as one 4/5
Red light 2,5/5
Surrender 3/5
40 3,5/5

36/10=3,6

War: 3,6
Boy: 3,45

My ratings are a bit low but that's only for the differences. All u2 songs are more than 4,5/5

Queen Bee said:

:huh:

I just don't think it's necessary for everyone to weigh in and give their two cents every time they pick up an album, especially when it's someone's impression on the first listen. How often are you blown away by albums on your first listen? I'd appreciate the threads more if he posted them after owning the albums for a couple of months. :shrug:

Sorry, I didn't understand your point. Saying it like that, I totaly agree. :up: sorry...

btw, I think MsMofoGone overrates War, but I must agree, Drowning Man is an amazing song. War has two great classics, great gems like Like a song, surrender, drowning man or two hearts beat as one but also has, IMO, two horrible songs: the refugee and red light.

It's in 6th, in the middle of my album chart.

The Refugee and Red Light may not be the GREATEST of songs on
War, but Shadows And Tall Trees and The Ocean are definite disappointments
on Boy as well !! :yuck:

War has more better songs than Boy !! :yes:

shadows and tall trees »»» never understand people who like that song. it's really worst song on boy...

but the ocean is great IMO... great in the same way as October in the same name album... melodic and atmospheric songs...

btw, am I the only one that likes An Cat Dubh but founds Into the heart very very boring? :|

I'll do some the ratings. That's fun!

I Will Follow - 5/5
Twilight - 4/5
An Cat Dubh - 4/5
Into The Heart - 4/5
Out Of Control - 4/5
Stories For Boys - 3/5
The Ocean - 4/5
A Day Without Me - 2/5
Another Time, Another Place - 2/5
The Electric Co. - 5/5
Shadows And Tall Trees 3/5

40/11=3,63

vs.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - 5/5
Seconds - 4/5
New Year's Day - 5/5
Like A Song... - 2/5
Drowning Man - 1/5
The Refugee - 2/5
Two Hearts Beat As One - 3/5
Red Light - 1/5
Surrender - 5/5
"40" - 4/5

32/10 = 3,2

Haha Boy wins.

Seriously, Boy has two bad songs, A Day Without Me and Another Time, Another Place.

War has: Like A Song..., Red Light, The Refugee and Drowning Man.

And then there's The Electric Co. which beats the hell out of everything U2 wrote in their early years (except for 11 O'Clock Tick Tock)

Or have it this way.

I Will Follow < Sunday Bloody Sunday
Twilight > Seconds
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart < New Year's Day
Out Of Control > Like A Song...
Stories For Boys > Drowning Man
The Ocean > The Refugee
A Day Without Me > Two Hearts Beat As One
Another Time, Another Place > Red Light
The Electric Co. > Surrender
Shadows And Tall Trees < "40"

6 in favor of Boy.

Another thing: War was a breakthrough for U2 not because of the "great" album, but because of the great songs: Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day.

U2 didn't have a breakthrough because Boring Man was considered an emotional masterpiece.

Another Time, Another Place is a great song........................
:drool:

Out of Control makes me dance:drool:

Electric Co makes me......................................... stick a new bulb in my lamp:drool:

Boy is an excellent example of ownage...............

New Years Day however, if said song happened to be a person he would be better than you, he would laugh at you, have a cool piano riff, become a fluent french speaker and then proceed to steal your wife, husband and your TV, that my friends is the answer:wink:

War! for me. (Yes, the exclamation mark is an important part of the title. No, I'm not just getting emotional)

War is better

SBS>IWF
Seconds>Twilight
NYD>An Cat Dubh
Like a Song>Into The Heart
Drowning Man>Out of Control
Surrender>Another Time Another Place

Stories For Boys>Refugee
The Ocean>Two Hearts
A Day Without Me>Red Light
Electric Co>40

Best track from both albums = DROWNING MAN

Last edited:
I agree that Sunday Bloody Sunday and Drowning Man are boring as hell... although I do like SBS as a well written song.

To me, these are the cream of the crop...

1. seconds
2. new years day........ my top 5 track
3. like a song...... such anger and passion in the vocals! it's like the song equivalent of the word WAR!
4. the refugee........ those drums and vocal yells
5. surrender.......... storytelling at its best, haunting music
6. 40......... simple, like a hymn, great closer

Zootlesque said:
I agree that Sunday Bloody Sunday and Drowning Man are boring as hell... although I do like SBS as a well written song.

:shocked:

Drowning Man is GORGEOUS!

I'm surprised you don't like it.

namkcuR said:

:shocked:

Drowning Man is GORGEOUS!

I'm surprised you don't like it.

Well... I like Drowning Man but it just drags on and on and on... 'hold on, hold on tightly.. hold on, hold on tightly.. don't let go...' etc.. and I can't wait till Larry's drums come crashing in on The Refugee!!! :rockon:

Boy is a better album overall. War has some excellent standout songs but personally i think it also has some crappy songs. Boy is more consistent, IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom