On U2 and the Super Bowl, rock star endorsements, "selling out," etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I got the idea for this from the 'looking serious' thread. U2 did the Super Bowl in 2002. Would they have been asked to do it sooner? No. They were not asked to. Why? Was it because they as a band had reached a place where they were popular enough, well known enough, and accepted by enough people? Was it because rock and roll was?

Okay let's discuss this. I remember back in the 80's the halftime shows were usually cheesy shit like 'Up Up With People!' They had to be something generically accepted by a wide variety of Americans. (yes the Super Bowl is shown world wide too) In the early days of the Super Bowl, hell would have frozen over before a rock and roll band would have been asked to do the halftime show. Can't you see a million rednecks throwing beer cans at the TV when The Doors came on the field? But, as the years went past, rock went from being rebellious, counterculture, and bad to most grownups to something that was acceptable and even enjoyed.

A big reason for this? Time. The 'kids' who had shocked their parents with rock and roll had become parents, some even grandparents! So, these people, rock fans, went from being the rebels to the target audience for advertisers! Now you even have Led Zeppelin doing car commercials! That would have been unheard of in the past, even 10 years ago. But times have changed, the demographics changed, and so did the acceptability of rock and roll.

:applaud: good point. i think the first commercial i remember seeing that had music (like a rock and roll song you could actually identify, not just random crap music) was for nike, using the beatles' "revolution." if that indeed is the earliest case or one of the earliest (i don't remember a lot of old commercials due to my age), then mayhaps michael jackson can be given credit to commercializing rock music like that.

EDIT: used the wrong smilie :der:

Last edited:
Okay, had to post that before the site logged me out and I lost my diatribe! ;) Now my next point: when did rock stars "selling out" become acceptable? I mean, acceptable to the mainstream marketing people, and acceptable to the artists? I remember the backlash and uproar from the entertainment world when Phil Collins sold his song to a beer commercial. What a terrible thing! Or, was it?! Maybe it got people thinking, hey, it's money, it's exposure for us, but ultimately, it was exposure and acceptability for rock and roll and the rock culture! Yes, aging baby boomers were a big part of this becoming so, but the artists had to do their part. When Robert Plant did the "Tall Cool One" Coke commericial in 1988, I think that opened the flood gates that took this from being scorned to commonplace, almost cool. Now you have legendary bands like The Who, Stones and Led Zeppelin doing big name commercials. (The Beatle songs were sold out by Michael Jackson, who owns the rights.) Even punk boy Iggy Pop has sold "Lust for Life" for money! U2 refused a 23 million dollar offer to sell "Where the Streets Have No Name" to a car commericial because they felt it was too special to them and their fans to remind people of a commercial. Good for them. But you can't blame those who do sell out, even if they don't need the money. I admit I cringe every time I hear The Who in that sinus medicine commercial, but I do feel almost happy in a way that they were wanted, that "they," the big man in the office on Madison Avenue, who used to condemn rock and rock stars, wanted it, got it, and used it. A lot of counterculture people must feel a gloat coming on inside even if they don't admit it, and Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison must be rolling over in their graves at the shock. Or are they laughing somewhere?

So, any comments or other things to bring up on this topic?

yeah, i remember back when people were scorned for singing for commercials and such. i suppose the ultimate band/artist in terms of "selling out" would be the rolling stones, since i believe they're the first band to tour featuring a sponsor. ever since, their tours have had a big name sponsor. (what i don't get is that i know they're not the first, even though everyone claims them to be. that tour was steel wheels, which was in the late 80s. however, duran duran's 1984 tour featured coca-cola as the sponsor, years before rolling stones. i guess maybe it was the rolling stones who were the first band to prominently display their sponsor, as most durannies wouldn't have even known coca-cola was their sponsor. their logo wasn't sprawled over every poster and tee shirt. they even let john taylor say he preferred pepsi!)

now, you have bands getting flak for NOT "selling out!" when the black crowes opened for zz top, they got a ton of flak for not agreeing with the fact that zz top had a sponsor, miller beer, i think. they even got kicked off the tour for speaking out. in some ways i can see why, as the sponsor got pissed that people on the tour were badmouthing them, but god forbid they express their opinion.

anyway, commercializing does certainly provide exposure. moby did something shocking by being the first artist to license every track off of an album. before that, no one really knew him outside the techno genre, now he's super popular. most seem to regard his move as gutsy, whereas if anyone else did it they'd be selling out to the extreme. i guess that part has to do with whether or not you're an unknown. obviously britney spears, if she were to do this, doesn't need the money since she's one of the few female artists to have a diamond certified album.

my guess is it became okay sometime in the 90s. it seemed like a slow process. like, okay, the rolling stones, one of the most influential rock bands, have tour sponsors. so i guess now it's okay for us (meaning any other band or artist) to have a tour sponsor. now we've got people like robert palmer and elton john plugging sodas, so i guess i can do a commercial for pepsi. if they're not getting flak, i won't. finally, we've got the beatles and led zeppelin songs in commercials. so it's okay if i license my new single, my entire album, to commercials. it was a slow process that other newer bands saw was okay to do when they saw older bands, their idols, doing it first.

This would be a tremendous opportunity for an indepth essay for the Interference Zine if anyone was willing to write it! :wave:

U2 also turned down Coke (maybe Pepsi) I believe for a VERY large sum of money to use Even Better Than The Real Thing.

People are still being terribly selective about who they want to slag off for selling their songs; I mean I've heard plenty of criticisms reserved for Sting and Moby and practically none for, say, Blur.

Call me a purist, but I don't like it when an artist allows a song to be used in a commercial. I think it cheapens the meaning of the song. It's kind of understandable when struggling musician or band who can't pay the bills let alone get exposure for their music does it, but it's really irritating when an established artist who is filthy rich to boot does it. I guess having a sponsor for a tour isn't so bad, as long as the logo for the company isn't constantly staring you in the face when you go to the show.

I agree Kitten, rock and roll is becoming more mainstream every day. I think that's one reason why rap is so popular with young people these days. It's hard to shock your parents by playing rock and roll when they still listen to Led Zeppelin albums, so the kids crank up Eminem.

Last edited:
Saracene said:
People are still being terribly selective about who they want to slag off for selling their songs; I mean I've heard plenty of criticisms reserved for Sting and Moby and practically none for, say, Blur.
:yes: it's not really fair. me, i tend to only not like the ones who tend to overdo it, who license seemingly everything. i would say the rolling stones has sold out, as has michael jackson for licensing so many beatles songs. but someone like sheryl crow who's only licensed one song (that i know of!) isn't bad.

for me it has nothing to do with liking or not liking the band. i'm a fan of the rolling stones, and if duran duran started licensing a lot their catalogue (hungry like the wolf was already featured in a burger king ad) i'd be pissed.

I heard 2 different tracks from Coldplay's AROBTTH on "Alias" this past season. Not commericals, but soundtrack music in the show. Must say it was good to hear. Wouldn't want to hear "Its a Beautifu Day on an anti-diarrhea commercial, however . :yikes: :yuck:

I heard a Coldplay song used on WWE's Smackdown! show. It was played in the background during a segment about a wrestler returning from a real life neck surgery operation. Actually it was done in good taste so I can't really complain about it. Now that I think about it, I remember U2's Beautiful Day being used as the theme song during a video package to hype the return of another wrestler coming back from surgery. Wrestler's sure do get hurt a lot.

But if you look back to even the 60's, The Doors song Light My Fire was used for a car commercial wasn't it? I believe it was mentioned in the movie.

Last edited:
bayernfc said:
^ Which makes me wonder what the future Generation is gonna shock the society with, when their parents ( today's kids) are listening to likes of Eminem.

:laugh: My friends and I have spent alot of time wondering the same thing. One's prediction: music will lose all semblence of melody and people will just be banging, loudly, on things.

Can you imagine what our nursing homes are going to be like, pierced and tatttooed as we are?

I too cringe when I hear The Who songs in commercials. Except the new one for IPod with the dude singing "My Generation", that one makes me giggle. But to quote Pete Townshend..."they're my songs, I can do whatever the f*%# I want with them." I can see his point, but now whenever I hear the Who song "Bargain" I can't help but think of Chrysler or whatever car commercial the song was used in.

Same goes with Beatles songs. Many of them are tainted for me now. Like "Getting Better" for the Phillips flat TV. Don't even get me started on that one commercial using Simon & Garfunkle. *shudders*

I'm glad U2 hasn't sold-out to commercials yet. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them get a good sponsor for their tour so they don't have to shell out all of the money and also run the risk of loosing money like during Popmart. They could, like The Who, get a sponsor like JBL for their tour. I doubt they'd do this because as they've said they don't want to have to kiss arse for sponsorship. But personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them have some help on the next tour. Just a thought.

:wave:

~J

Last night, I heard Heroin by The Velvet Underground in some commercial. :shocked: So much for hippy, anti- 'the man' values. Or, again, how wonderful that they were wanted! Perhaps, the ultimate victory, but in a way they least expected?! ;)

HelloAngel, maybe me and Khanada can come up with something!

Last edited:
Well there's a lot of ways you can define "selling out"... I see it occuring when an artist goes against their convictions or creative goals. Exposure is a powerful tool, but at some point it becomes over-saturation. That's the place where artists lose credibility, where they become a huge draw for the masses... on the foundation of consumerism. You could pretty much argue that any artist in the professional music genre has already sold out... signing a contract with a label, guaranteeing a quantity of material for a fixed price. If commercial success is your goal... then more power to you. Awards too? Great. Just don't flaunt yourself as an artist, and expect people to praise you for originality and innovation. However, artists that use their stuff for commercial use and such are merely expanding the limits of their genre... by exploiting new waves of media. The only question you have to ask is this: are they trying to peddle their cheap 'wares?... or are they honestly trying to make an effort to reach people?

cujo said:
Well there's a lot of ways you can define "selling out"... I see it occuring when an artist goes against their convictions or creative goals. Exposure is a powerful tool, but at some point it becomes over-saturation. That's the place where artists lose credibility, where they become a huge draw for the masses... on the foundation of consumerism. You could pretty much argue that any artist in the professional music genre has already sold out... signing a contract with a label, guaranteeing a quantity of material for a fixed price. If commercial success is your goal... then more power to you. Awards too? Great. Just don't flaunt yourself as an artist, and expect people to praise you for originality and innovation. However, artists that use their stuff for commercial use and such are merely expanding the limits of their genre... by exploiting new waves of media. The only question you have to ask is this: are they trying to peddle their cheap 'wares?... or are they honestly trying to make an effort to reach people?
Cujo, I agree with everything you say here, and you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. If you ask that question of U2, I think you can make a case for the latter--though, perhaps, not exclusively so. I think there's a bit of both going on but, in this business--at the scale they have reached--how can there not be? Good stuff. :up:

Sadly, if it wasn't for that one car commercial, I'd have never been introduced to the music of Nick Drake.

Very good point, David. Pink Moon is possibly the greatest album of all time. Unfortunately (very unfortunately), in the case of that VW commercial, it wasn't up to Nick, as sad as that is. :sad:

It's such a tragedy that he didn't live to see such success.

I hate it when a song I like is used to get people to buy something. That really cheapens and ruins the song for me. I'm glad I live in new zealand, where they haven't used Beatles songs etc in ads.

Back
Top Bottom