On their next tour would U2 do what The Stones are doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would U2 do what The Stones are doing?

• Yes, and I'd try to see each show

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Yes, it'd be interesting to see them mix things up

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No, it'd be too hard for them to pull off

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No, I don't think they're interested in playing smaller places

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
For their 40th anniversary tour The Rolling Stones are playing clubs/theaters, arenas and stadiums all in the same city. Do you think U2 would ever attempt something like this, performing three different types of shows with, possibly, three different set lists and everything?

I would seriously doubt it...even though it would be quite interesting. It seems like it doesn't fit their style, i'm not sure if they could pull off some of the theatrics in one venue in a larger one...it would require more than different setlists, but also different stage setups and "routines" (I mean interactions between fans and band)...probably just a bit too much work for them to accomplish.

Knowing that the production team behind the Stones tour is the same as that of U2, and knowing that even on the last tour U2 played some clubs I make the following assumptions:

1. The Stones got the idea from a combination of the U2 club shows, and the club shows they themsleves dia a few years back.

2. There is a very good chance (I would say up to 85%) that U2 will do the same thing on the next tour seeing as how they:

A: loved playing the club shows (Irving Plaza, Astoria, Man Ray)

B: had one of the most successful if not the most successful arena tour of all time

C: want to play stadiums next anyway.

So the answer is yes, I think they will definitely do a club, arena, stadium tour next...

U2SavesTheWorld said:
:huh:

I'm very confused. Is the poll "Would they do it?" or is it "Would We WANT them to do it"?

:shrug:

It's a mix. I was just going to put in Yes and No and see if people would explain their choices via posts, but that seemed a little black and white so I thought I'd add in a condition to the yes and no responses.

I remember Bono saying something tot effect of:

"Anyone who says they want to get back into the clubs, the smaller venues. Then you know that they've never played the clubs before. No one wants to go back"

(That was paraphrasing. I can't remember the exact quote. It was from MuchMusic in 2001, I believe. ANd to do it justice, he pronounces it "Cloobs" not "Clubs")

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
I remember Bono saying something tot effect of:

"Anyone who says they want to get back into the clubs, the smaller venues. Then you know that they've never played the clubs before. No one wants to go back"

(That was paraphrasing. I can't remember the exact quote. It was from MuchMusic in 2001, I believe. ANd to do it justice, he pronounces it "Cloobs" not "Clubs")

He said something like that on the radio before the Irving Plaza show.

Back
Top Bottom