Old U2 creative ideas you'd like to see return

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
I'd like to see an image change...I'm a little bored of Edge's beanie and Bono's glasses.

Definite image change needed... desperately! Bono has got to change his crappy hairstyle, get rid of those sunglasses... maybe go back to Zoo/Beautiful Day shades or even nothing! The Edge and (esp.) Adam look okay to me. Larry has got to get rid of that awful mullet and go back to close cropped hair/crew cut. That's what suits him best!

As for the music... more instrumentals, more atmospherics, less of Bono butchering the songs at the last minute. More serious, political and generally darker stuff. I'm not saying it has to be depressing... just exciting music that's not very easy to figure out immediately.

Maybe forcing the audience to listen to 8 new songs in a row live, like they did during Zoo TV, more b-sides and covers played live too.

namkcuR said:
I think they should bring the overall use of atmospherics back into their music.

Also, I'd like to see them make more instrumentally complex music ala The Unforgettable Fire(the song) and a lot of AB.

I'd love to see some sort of combination of UF-style atmospherics/instrumentation and AB-style attitude/lyrics - kind of like Mercy.

I'd like to see an image change...I'm a little bored of Edge's beanie and Bono's glasses.

I don't post very much, but I do read the board quite a bit. I have to say, I find myself very often in agreement with what this dude (above) has to say.

Also, I should add, I'm starting to miss the fact that U2 used to be an Irish band. I love the fact that they've conquered the world, but I wouldn't mind a little celtic sound sneaking back in. Nonetheless, I'm happy to follow wherever they decide take this monster next.

Sorry to be rude here but some statements deserve it...whoever said "I Threw A Brick Through A Window is the worst song U2 have recorded" has SHIT FOR BRAINS. Seriously!!! Get real.

Harry Vest said:
Sorry to be rude here but some statements deserve it...whoever said "I Threw A Brick Through A Window is the worst song U2 have recorded" has SHIT FOR BRAINS. Seriously!!! Get real.

:wink:

I feel the same way, only I didn't want to say it so harshly.

Speaking of I Threw A Brick Through A Window, I kind of miss that style Larry sometimes used in the old days - hi hat and bass, with the odd snare thrown in. I Threw A Brick is the prime example of this. It was a very cool sound.

Knuckle said:

I don't post very much, but I do read the board quite a bit. I have to say, I find myself very often in agreement with what this dude (above) has to say.

lol, well thanks, I guess :wink:

starvinmarvin said:

Agreed. Maybe that's one of the reasons why so many people view the Vertigo tour as "Elevation Part Deux." Some fans don't like Larry's new hair, but at least its a change, and hats off to Adam's "silver fox" incarnation.

I dunno...I dig the sunglasses and the beanie. In fact as stuckinamoment as this sounds, the only thing I don't dig about the bands appareance is Larry/Bono's different hair styles.

I have a question for Axver tho - when you say a return to the stripped down stage and more focus on the music of the Lovetown era... does Elevation qualify in this respect? or not?

Harry Vest said:

Yeah a little too rude... everyone has their own opinion.

I'd like them to be really passionate about their music. Bono's passionate about lots of things but I feel he's lost that one.

I want to see him sing and see his eyes glaze over (making of UF video):love:

Harry Vest said:

Abso-bloody-lutely. Threw A Brick rocks and all of October is quality.

I must say I don't get these people going on about an image change. Really, who gives a shit? I listen to the music, I couldn't care less what Edge chooses to slap on his head. It's not as if it matters in any way.

I think that they would benefit from a new producer. Someone to push them a bit more. I love most of Eno's and Lanois stuff and I like the way that they can give the band different stratagies and approaches of music making but maybe the band have become to used to them. They need to be taken out of their comfort zone and challanged.

LoveTown said:

as a long time Bono lover....I would like to state that Adam is now the sexiest one in the band. The man looks GOOOOOOD

:hmm: I find it interesting that more than anyone in the band Adam accepts his age and looks his age yet a lot of people seem to think he's the sexiest now! I think that's cool, though personally he just looks kind of old to me :slant: but I'm only 17 so my opinion doesn't count 'cause teeangers are st00pid. and Bono will always be my #1 :drool:

Back to the band... three words: Million. Dollar. Hotel. The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless are two of the best songs U2 has ever done, period. I would LOVE to see them explore that sound again since it was brief and not even in an U2 album. I'd also love to hear more dark, heavy songs like Exit. And yeah, being the fuckin' Pop fanatic that I am I wouldn't mind if they did some dark techno-rock-ish stuff again, but what I really want is for U2 to move forward, which I think they will. Sure they can take inspiration from old works and explore old sounds, but what I really want for them is to come up with a new sound yet again, like they did with UF and AB and ATYCLB.

As for the band's image, I wonder if they're really going to change that much now that they're in their mid-40's... I do wish Bono would ditch the shades, or go back to the Elevation ones. And Larry needs to not have his hair so greasy. Other than that I think they look great and I don't really care if they change their look or not. If they do change their look though I think they should all dress up like pirates. That would be badass.

AtomicBono said:

Back to the band... three words: Million. Dollar. Hotel. The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless are two of the best songs U2 has ever done, period. I would LOVE to see them explore that sound again since it was brief and not even in an U2 album. I'd also love to hear more dark, heavy songs like Exit.

:up:

U2phan said:
more songs like "EXIT" please!

maybe a few more covers, I just finished watching R&H again, I loved "All Along the Watchtower"

Off topic - but All Along the Watchtower from the Dec 26 Point Depot boot is AMAZING.

I'd love to hear more atmospheric sounds, too. I love Unforgettable Fire. Also - more lyrical complexity - I really like HTDAAB, but I don't find the lyrics as meaningful as those from JT, R&H, AB and Pop. I read an article where they (the band) were teasing Bono about how no one listens to the verses anyway, and I thought "NOOOOO!!!" The lyrics are a huge part of the whole U2 experience - for me anyway.

I'd like to hear more in the style of If you wear that velvet dress/Stateless/Ground beneath her feet/Mercy.
I think this atmospheric sound would suit them well.

ZeroDude said:
Arabic style solos ala Lady With The Spinning Head:drool:

I agree..I always thought there was tons they still could have done to progress from the sound of that song, and the AB-style in general..

Back
Top Bottom