Okay, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Let's start with what we know:

Supposedly, the album is done and set for a Nov. 22 release, with a single to come in September.

Then a CD of Edge's gets stolen at a photo shoot. We don't know if it's the whole album, some tunes, or just rough demos. Speculation is that it's a stunt, except the French police are involved. Edge issues a statement saying it "doesn't seem credible" (btw, is it just me or do you thing he meant to say "possible").

Now there's rumors the album will be nixed. I know this cannot be true.

The U2 camp has been silent since.

What are we waiting for? If the single is due to radio in September, wouldn't we know it's name/album name by now?

I'd like personal responses from either Bono, Edge, Larry, or Adam if possible.

:wink:

What's weird is we haven't heard anything from them since Edge and Paul's statement so this is kind of strange. I thought we would be barraged with statements about it from Bono etc.

It's like they are thinking really hard what their next move should be like in a chess game LOL. I don' t want them to think, just get the disc mastered and released as soon as possible I mean why do they have to wait till Nov 22 ? Why not October for the album and begining of September for single ? :shrug:

Last edited:
The timing of the release is more important than we might casually realize. There is competition from other artists, much like opening weekend for the boxoffice. There are also holiday/shopping, marketing, and other logistical resources and considerations. It's so routine these days releases like this sometimes we forget the amount of coordination and work that goes into a release like a u2 album

I am sure they are hard at work, and also having to factor in contingency plans, etc... if the album really was stolen. That said, I also find it kind of strange we haven't really heard more official statements from the band or principal mgmt.

david said:
We also know that one of the leaked songs is being played on a radio station in San Diego.

I have pretty serious doubts about this. not that Kevin is lying, but that the corporate radio station would do something like that, IF the cd was indeed stolen. These aren't the days of independent djs anymore. It's just too damn programmed to allow a pirated copy of a top band's unreleased song to be played without permission.

How long would it take someone to load the tracks on the net?..........I think if we don't hear them by August, they won't go on.........

The one unequivocable fact about all of this is the massive SILENCE eminating from the U2 camp. The longer this goes on, the more mystifying it is. Why don't they say something?

November :sad: It feels like Neverember:sad: The thought that some FRENCH dude has the CD.:mad: Make me need to listen to "French People Suck" by The Meatmen.:wink:

Last edited:
all of this is no concern to me. once again, i've been enjoying "Solar" since the beginning of March.

There are two new mp3s on eMule.

The one titled: u2.new.album.lost.cd.2004.mp3
is 100% fake...

But there is also another one titled: U2-new album 2004-maqueta 3.mp3
But there is to few sources on that file and the download haven't started yet.

Anyone with eMule, please check if this is real or fake...

it wouldn't surprise me if the record company ends up stating they feel 'forced' to move up the release date to end october/early november which would be about the same time of the year that ATYCLB was released

bathiu said:
There are two new mp3s on eMule.

The one titled: u2.new.album.lost.cd.2004.mp3
is 100% fake...

But there is also another one titled: U2-new album 2004-maqueta 3.mp3
But there is to few sources on that file and the download haven't started yet.

Anyone with eMule, please check if this is real or fake...

That U2-new album 2004-maqueta 3.mp3 has been there for a few days. I had it in my transfer list for a couple of days and didn't get a single byte of it lol. I've added it back in now as there do seem to be a couple more sources, tho i'm not gonna bet on it being real. Obv, if it turns out to be the real deal, I will let you know :)

I think that if the theft/lost CD thing was real, they will push the date release forward. (remember, there was a newsbit that they made "a video for the album" in France - I bet it's the single video)

Also, why would they release the single in September, if the album really isn't out by November? I'm not sure U2 ever uses such long gaps between first single and album.

Last edited:
Swan269 said:
How long would it take someone to load the tracks on the net?..........I think if we don't hear them by August, they won't go on.........

Personally I think we would have seen them on the hubs within 24 hours, or maybe torrented. :shrug: I still don't think it was a prank but I don't think they're going to be released to the net. JMO. :)

biff said:
The one unequivocable fact about all of this is the massive SILENCE eminating from the U2 camp. The longer this goes on, the more mystifying it is. Why don't they say something?

Total silence from Bono is puzzling eh. :huh: ;)
seriously though, we haven't heard a peep about it since the day of the incident, right? very odd indeed. :shrug:

Last edited:
Indeed. The one main ODDITY about all of this for me is the fact that NONE of us have heard a single leak, peep or anything from the stolen goods. Nada. Nothing. Which, I guess, is good for U2, but it certainly makes the silence even more deafening as the days go by. :shrug:

UKTan said:

That U2-new album 2004-maqueta 3.mp3 has been there for a few days. I had it in my transfer list for a couple of days and didn't get a single byte of it lol. I've added it back in now as there do seem to be a couple more sources, tho i'm not gonna bet on it being real. Obv, if it turns out to be the real deal, I will let you know :)

I haven't been able to turn up jack...I have a lot of sources in the p2p community and no one has brought me anythign credible.

A stolen cd that hasn't been leaked on the internet " it just doesn't seem credible"

A few thoughts...

1) this is now a police case supposedly with the local police department in France "investigating" the disappearance of the missing CD, so I'm sure that everyone involved (U2, Principle Management, etc) have been asked (by lawyers?) for legal reasons to take a low profile for now

Thus, Bono's silence which IS always puzzling....:laugh:

2) the probable reason why this missing music hasn't shown up on the Internet (or any other credible place) is probably because whoever might have illegally taken the music now realizes the legal ramifications that would IMMEDIATELY befall them (jail, fines, etc.) if they and the missing music is recovered

:yes:

People do all kinds of things thinking that easy money will be the result and then back out when they think about what can happen to them if they follow their plan.

I may be way off on this, but some things to consider about all this. :wink:

and mikal.... THANKS FOR THE SMILE! ;)

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY! :bono: :love:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the tracks could easily be put up on the 'net without anyone knowning the person's identity if the person really wanted to do that... so frankly i think either the cd was just lost, or that this is all just a hoax.

I dunno about France, but here filing a false police report is definitely a crime. Why would a band as popular as U2 resort to something criminal just for publicity? If they're THAT desperate, the album must really suck or something....

well...
a) no one ever said they filed a police report... all we know is that the police are involved... there has never been a single statement, from the band or the police, that states that an actuall police report was filed... just that the "police are involved." that could mean they stopped by for a cup of coffee for all we know.
b) when i "lost" my cell phone... aka i fell asleep drunk on the train and forgot it there... i had a police report filed so that i could give it to my insurance company. the police report states that it was either "lost or stolen." the police knew full well that i simply forgot it in a drunken stuper, but they filed the report anyhoo because technicaly it was lost, and could have been stolen. so don't be too led into the whole "lost or stolen" thing.

as for the "desperation" thing... there's been something stolen or lost before electrical storm, atyclb, pop, achtung baby & october... there's a bit of a pattern developing.

Last edited:
if someone discovered the lost cd and found it to be an unfinished album, it would be a lot more valuable following the release of the album.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
... there's been something stolen or lost before electrical storm, atyclb, pop, achtung baby & october... there's a bit of a pattern developing.

A pattern of :der: or a pattern of :evil:

We're almost at the end of July and there's still no word on the first single due out in a month.

That is bothering me because IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED by the band or management that we're indeed getting a single in September.

This is just one more loose end that could mean further delay.

:huh:

u2log.com says that someone stole bono's sunglasses too... maybe he has a camera in there like the elevation show in boston. it doesn't matter what happened to the lost cd...eventually all of us will hear new u2 songs. but i'd give anything to see the world through bono's eyes...maybe that will turn up on the net somewhere!

U2girl said:
Also, why would they release the single in September, if the album really isn't out by November? I'm not sure U2 ever uses such long gaps between first single and album.

Hey U2girl, this is not without precedence. In '91 "The Fly" came out in mid September, and the album didn't drop until November of that year. And really "Beautiful Day" was released in September of '00 and the album dropped on the last day of October. So there is some precedence and probably tact to how U2 releases their first single and then their albums.

My best guess is that there is no stolen album and that the album schedule will roll as scheduled.

Back
Top Bottom