Ok, time to admit. I can't/won't ever buy 'Boy'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
I tink Im gonna shock u all, but I genuingly can't make myself buy it, AND War just to have every U2 album now.......as I told u all before I dont have those 2 plus Passengers........but Passengers really isnt U2....so like.

Why, I hear u ask.....? Well, no matter how many times I look at it, its going at a reasonable price, its their early stuff and many of u rave about how amazing it is, and that I should buy and listen, but I tink I'd be bored with it.......because Im already far-gone with U2, Im already so into the past (that I remember) and present.....I have absolutely no interest in their earlier stuff at all................amazing eh?

Im being really really honest here folks.

With October........it wasnt too bad, but it was their third album so, it felt like they had improved by then...anything earlier would sound punk/clash/rock..............I didnt even enjoy Out Of Control or Party much...................I just cant seem to listen and enjoy early U2...........

I suppose some of u are dying to say 'Well I cant seem to enjoy the latest U2!' Maybe so?

But, there ya go, I feel like Im the only one with this now, the only one who doesnt and wont ever have them.......its like Im missing something essential, but I wont apologise for how I feel...................:)

However I hope none of u turn round and say something like 'Call urself a U2 fan over this?'...........we are all U2 fans in many diff ways.

Why don't you buy it, if you don't like it or find it boring - take it back.

Or borrow it from someone - that's what I did - and then buy it.

:yes:

Jo

mad1 said:
I tink Im gonna shock u all, but I genuingly can't make myself buy it, AND War just to have every U2 album now

Ok, who has maddie's mailing address?!?! For the love of God, someone please send her these CDs.

**starts collection to buy and mail CDs to maddie**

Sometimes I wish more u2 songs had the nice riffs and song structure the boy has.

I think you're missing out, maddie. Boy was one that took me maybe the longest to sit down and listen to, but it's really a catchy disc and very integral to the U2 canon, imho. :)

Just burn a copy and test drive it for a while! :D

Well, if you own October, you actually own their 2nd record, not their 3rd.

WAR is #3 and is a much better record, IMO, than October.

Buy it. You will not be sorry you did.

As for Boy, I can sort of take it or leave it - so I won't try to sell you on it.

I'm shocked.........you truly do not enjoy "Boy"? I am in love with that album....
Have you listened to the album from beginning to end?

Mrs.Clayton said:
I'm shocked.........you truly do not enjoy "Boy"? I am in love with that album....
Have you listened to the album from beginning to end?

no Ive never listened to Boy.............I see it in front of me going under a tenner and still wont buy it.....always tink about buyin it but dont/wont.................as I said I have heard a wee fingerful of their early songs but Im no happy about having an album........guaranteed I have only listened to October 3 times in the whole year Ive had it...........

:huh:

Maddie!!!!! "Boy" sounds so different than "October"...I get the feeling you're not too happy with "October".
They really sound different. If you're judging "early U2" from "October", don't! Trust me, "Boy" is different. They're young, and full of energy...
Please trust me......"Boy" and "October" are different....I listen to "Boy" 10 times more than I ever listen to "October"

while I, on the other hand, listen to October FAR more than Boy. lol.

However, since you brought up the subject, maddie, I have pulled out the CD to listen to it...haven't for quite some time. So thanks! :up:

I used to absolutely loathe Boy. I hated their early stuff, too, Maddie. I had listened to Boy a grand total of 3 times. I hated it each time, and thought,"Oh well, I must just like their later stuff." But a couple months ago I put it in, actually LISTENED to it, and fell in love. :D Out of Control is a great song, one of my favourites. The album is rough, and Bono sounds very young, but it's good. Not my favourite, but it's most definitely worth hearing.

Just because you've heard a couple of their early songs and disliked them doesn't mean you wouldn't like the rest of the songs on the album. Give it a chance.

There was a time I thought I didn't have to have all the remixes. Now I have to have them, no ifs ands or buts. Someday, I predict, Boy, War and Passengers will be must-haves for you, maddie. Perhaps during a long dry spell...imagine the fun of not having new U2 material for awhile and rediscovering old stuff instead. I like listening to War, especially, and remembering how fresh it sounded to me when my boyfriend first brought it home on vinyl. We played it to death. As I've confessed before, it was our get-it-on record in 1983 :D Sadly, I reconnected with him recently and he grew up and decided he hated Bono. :( Glad we didn't get married.

joyfulgirl said:
Sadly, I reconnected with him recently and he grew up and decided he hated Bono. :( Glad we didn't get married.

That, my dear, would have been a fate worse than 50 years of bad sex. :eek:

Ach I know....I know what youse are tryin to say....I should give it a chance.....maybe I should buy it.............have it.....

I just am so into the later music........somehow earlier stuff, well, a lot of anyones earlier stuff can bore me.......only a handful of earlier stuff thats been replayed and replayed (ie I Will Follow) are ones I see as modernised now..........well I mean 'popular and in demand'....good for concerts................

ARGH!

*Maddie feels the Interferencers crowdin round her urgin!* :D

waitya see I bet ur gonna have me buy and try now!

Oh btw......u SEE the VERY VERY beginnin of 'Tomorrow', who is that talkin durin the bagpipes and what they sayin?

:)

Last edited:
mad1 said:
Ach I know....I know what youse are tryin to say....I should give it a chance.....maybe I should buy it.............have it.....

I just am so into the later music........somehow earlier stuff, well, a lot of anyones earlier stuff can bore me.......only a handful of earlier stuff thats been replayed and replayed (ie I Will Follow) are ones I see as modernised now..........well I mean 'popular and in demand'....good for concerts................

ARGH!

*Maddie feels the Interferencers crowdin round her urgin!* :D

waitya see I bet ur gonna have me buy and try now!

BUY IT!!!!!!

*smooch* ;)

mad1 said:
somehow earlier stuff, well, a lot of anyones earlier stuff can bore me.......
I feel just the opposite in most cases. I think many rock bands' best stuff is their earlier work, when they are younger, hungrier, and the sound is more raw, to me that's rock and roll.
As bands grow older, sometimes they evolve and grow (as U2 has), but so many seem to fade, the early work being their strongest.

Oh..and get Boy and War Maddie. :)

sulawesigirl4 said:

That, my dear, would have been a fate worse than 50 years of bad sex. :eek:

you got that right, you lurker of my sex posts, you!

sulawesigirl4 said:

oh you know me...I like to watch.

:eek:

dear me, what AM i saying. *runs away and hides*

slowly but surely, I am corrupting sula

joyfulgirl said:
Sadly, I reconnected with him recently and he grew up and decided he hated Bono. :( Glad we didn't get married.

I agree with Sula (there's a shock ;))... having a loved one who absolutely hated any part of my favorite group would be enough for me to say "buh bye." To me, this is sacrosanct and not trivialized at all. My love of U2 is a big part of me - to the point that it does define me. I can accept someone not adoring them as much as I, but I cannot accept someone hating them. Sorry - just the way it is.

As for "Boy" and "War" - even though I got into U2 during that era, I admit, I also rarely listen to those albums. In fact, sometimes I find it a challenge to even name three or more songs from those albums from memory!

Nonetheless, I feel that "Boy" is a superb album - perhaps the best debut album of any group I've enjoyed. It far outshines, IMO, "October" and "War." Therefore, I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised by how good "Boy" really is.

That said, "War" has some of U2's best known songs. In fact, of early U2, probably most casual fans have "War" and not the other two albums. The weakest thing on "War" is Bono's vocals. He made a dramatic improvement between "War" and UF in his singing that it almost sounds like another person. However, the incredible lyrics and the rocking guitar licks (Adam's best bassline ever is in "New Year's Day") make this a stand-out album.

My recommendation is to rent the "Red Rocks" video. If you are bored to tears watching it, then don't bother getting those albums. However, if you are excited and dancing as you listen to that young group, I think you'll find you are more than ready to get "Boy" and "War." :D

i know someone else *cough* who doesn't own boy. (shhhh!!!!) but i own it so they are forced to listen to it anyway. like you, this person doesn't like their older stuff as much.

anyway, i love their earlier stuff a lot. it's my second favourite era of theirs (boy-october-war #2, achtung baby-zooropa-pop #1), and i think the music that came out of those few years is awesome. although i got into U2 later (first one i bought was achtung baby on tape in 91, lol) i think their earlier stuff is still great. it's a totally different sound. there's so many gems off of boy and war that don't appear on greatest hits albums, although moreso with boy. (although i can say "seconds" off of war is one of my all time favourites, for me it's worth buying the album alone just for that one song.)

but hey, everyone has different tastes. for me, i cannot stand atyclb and i only bought it because it was U2. i've listened to it start to finish many times and i still hate it.

doctorwho said:

I agree with Sula (there's a shock ;))... having a loved one who absolutely hated any part of my favorite group would be enough for me to say "buh bye." To me, this is sacrosanct and not trivialized at all. My love of U2 is a big part of me - to the point that it does define me. I can accept someone not adoring them as much as I, but I cannot accept someone hating them. Sorry - just the way it is.

I kind of feel the same way ... if the man I was in a relationship with didn't tolerate (if not participate) in the U2 love, I know there would be HUGE issues.

In fact met a boy while I was on vacation this past weekend and we got into a Statler Borthers vs U2 conversation ...

it took me 3 years to finally get into Boy. but man i love that album, it's so great, so bare bones rock, but it has that U2 sound. I Will Follow, Stories For Boys, Out Of Control, Electric Co are all worth the price of the album.

Startinnnngg a landslideeee withhh myyyy egooooooooo.

I think I want to listen to it now.

You really don't know what you are missing out on.

It's a shame that you're judging Boy on your reaction to October. Boy is MUCH better than October in my book. You should at least give it a listen or two. If you've given it a thorough listening and still don't want it, that's alright, but don't dismiss it before you've even heard it. :)

doctorwho said:

It certainly put quite the damper on our little email reunion. There I was all ready to relive the tumbles-in-the-hay of the wild abandon of my youth and first love, but the flame went poof in seconds flat. :(

"October" and "Boy" are very different, so if you disliked "October" you may like "Boy." I dig the energy of "Boy," there are some great lyrics on there and the album really deals well with all that angst, confusion, violence and sadness that you feel when you're growing up, but it's not dark or mopey. "Boy" is just an amazing classic '80s album, great, slightly-poppy, completely danceable, New Wave glory!
I personally think "War" is just decent, not nearly as good as "October," but it is completely worth the purchase price just for "Seconds."

my o my- both Boy and War are such great albums and War is my fave U2 album, I personally believe that it is worth the cheap price just for Drowning Man- how can you not own this album Maddie and you cant compare them all, just because you dont like October shoudlnt mean that you diss the other albums that flank it- just think how completely different Zooropa is from Achtung Baby- go and burn some copies of them and hey you just might surprise yourself and really like them:)

but I must admit that I am still at a loss as to how someone can not like War- that album is pure brilliance!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom