Ok, time to admit. I can't/won't ever buy 'Boy' - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2002, 01:25 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

you got that right, you lurker of my sex posts, you!
oh you know me...I like to watch.

dear me, what AM i saying. *runs away and hides*

Old 06-12-2002, 01:47 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

oh you know me...I like to watch.

dear me, what AM i saying. *runs away and hides*
slowly but surely, I am corrupting sula

Old 06-12-2002, 02:12 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Quote:
Sadly, I reconnected with him recently and he grew up and decided he hated Bono. Glad we didn't get married.
I agree with Sula (there's a shock )... having a loved one who absolutely hated any part of my favorite group would be enough for me to say "buh bye." To me, this is sacrosanct and not trivialized at all. My love of U2 is a big part of me - to the point that it does define me. I can accept someone not adoring them as much as I, but I cannot accept someone hating them. Sorry - just the way it is.

As for "Boy" and "War" - even though I got into U2 during that era, I admit, I also rarely listen to those albums. In fact, sometimes I find it a challenge to even name three or more songs from those albums from memory!

Nonetheless, I feel that "Boy" is a superb album - perhaps the best debut album of any group I've enjoyed. It far outshines, IMO, "October" and "War." Therefore, I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised by how good "Boy" really is.

That said, "War" has some of U2's best known songs. In fact, of early U2, probably most casual fans have "War" and not the other two albums. The weakest thing on "War" is Bono's vocals. He made a dramatic improvement between "War" and UF in his singing that it almost sounds like another person. However, the incredible lyrics and the rocking guitar licks (Adam's best bassline ever is in "New Year's Day") make this a stand-out album.

My recommendation is to rent the "Red Rocks" video. If you are bored to tears watching it, then don't bother getting those albums. However, if you are excited and dancing as you listen to that young group, I think you'll find you are more than ready to get "Boy" and "War."
Old 06-12-2002, 02:19 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i know someone else *cough* who doesn't own boy. (shhhh!!!!) but i own it so they are forced to listen to it anyway. like you, this person doesn't like their older stuff as much.

anyway, i love their earlier stuff a lot. it's my second favourite era of theirs (boy-october-war #2, achtung baby-zooropa-pop #1), and i think the music that came out of those few years is awesome. although i got into U2 later (first one i bought was achtung baby on tape in 91, lol) i think their earlier stuff is still great. it's a totally different sound. there's so many gems off of boy and war that don't appear on greatest hits albums, although moreso with boy. (although i can say "seconds" off of war is one of my all time favourites, for me it's worth buying the album alone just for that one song.)

but hey, everyone has different tastes. for me, i cannot stand atyclb and i only bought it because it was U2. i've listened to it start to finish many times and i still hate it.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:20 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

I agree with Sula (there's a shock )... having a loved one who absolutely hated any part of my favorite group would be enough for me to say "buh bye." To me, this is sacrosanct and not trivialized at all. My love of U2 is a big part of me - to the point that it does define me. I can accept someone not adoring them as much as I, but I cannot accept someone hating them. Sorry - just the way it is.
I kind of feel the same way ... if the man I was in a relationship with didn't tolerate (if not participate) in the U2 love, I know there would be HUGE issues.

In fact met a boy while I was on vacation this past weekend and we got into a Statler Borthers vs U2 conversation ...
Old 06-12-2002, 02:22 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:13 AM
it took me 3 years to finally get into Boy. but man i love that album, it's so great, so bare bones rock, but it has that U2 sound. I Will Follow, Stories For Boys, Out Of Control, Electric Co are all worth the price of the album.

Startinnnngg a landslideeee withhh myyyy egooooooooo.

I think I want to listen to it now.

You really don't know what you are missing out on.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:29 PM   #27
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

It's a shame that you're judging Boy on your reaction to October. Boy is MUCH better than October in my book. You should at least give it a listen or two. If you've given it a thorough listening and still don't want it, that's alright, but don't dismiss it before you've even heard it.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:13 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

It certainly put quite the damper on our little email reunion. There I was all ready to relive the tumbles-in-the-hay of the wild abandon of my youth and first love, but the flame went poof in seconds flat.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:07 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:13 AM
"October" and "Boy" are very different, so if you disliked "October" you may like "Boy." I dig the energy of "Boy," there are some great lyrics on there and the album really deals well with all that angst, confusion, violence and sadness that you feel when you're growing up, but it's not dark or mopey. "Boy" is just an amazing classic '80s album, great, slightly-poppy, completely danceable, New Wave glory!
I personally think "War" is just decent, not nearly as good as "October," but it is completely worth the purchase price just for "Seconds."
Old 06-12-2002, 05:42 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 01:13 AM
my o my- both Boy and War are such great albums and War is my fave U2 album, I personally believe that it is worth the cheap price just for Drowning Man- how can you not own this album Maddie and you cant compare them all, just because you dont like October shoudlnt mean that you diss the other albums that flank it- just think how completely different Zooropa is from Achtung Baby- go and burn some copies of them and hey you just might surprise yourself and really like them

but I must admit that I am still at a loss as to how someone can not like War- that album is pure brilliance!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Quote:

It certainly put quite the damper on our little email reunion. There I was all ready to relive the tumbles-in-the-hay of the wild abandon of my youth and first love, but the flame went poof in seconds flat.
Probably much to his dismay! LOL!

"No wait - did I say I hated Bono? Silly me, I meant LOVE Bono. Yeah, that's it - love. Now will you have sex with me?"
Old 06-12-2002, 10:39 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 10:13 AM
I can't imagine not having An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart or Electric Co. from Boy at my finger tips!

I also LOVE Two Hearts Beat as One from War - it's one of my all time favorites! I think it's Bono's #1 LOVE song to date. Plus it's quite awesome to dance to!

Of course, I also LOVE the better known songs from those albums, I will Follow, Out of Control, Sunday, Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day.

I like Doctor Who's suggestion of renting Under a Blood Red Sky to get more of a feel for that Era.

OMG and did I forget to mention 40? That's my son's favorite song!
Old 06-13-2002, 10:44 AM   #33
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:13 AM

Damn, girl, I'm half-tempted to buy you one of them and mail it to you.

I've done it for people before, ya know!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-13-2002, 12:38 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 02:13 PM
I have to admit my love affair with u2 started with War, and I hardly ever play Boy or October, only the singles or the odd good album track (A day without me). It was New Years Day that first got my attention to u2 and its on the War album, and I found I preferred that u2 sound to that of Boy and October. Bear in mind some U2 fans can't even get themselves to go back past Pop!
Old 06-13-2002, 06:04 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Personally, I find "Boy" interesting. Plus--this is going to sound really cheesy--"I Will Follow" is a sentimental favorite of mine because it's the first U2 song I ever heard, and it did knock my socks off. I was almost shocked when I first heard it because I'm from a very conservative part of the U.S. (the "Deep South", totally under the control of the Southern Baptist Convention--no offense to cool Southern Baptists, but no thanks to the leadership) and we were getting mostly bland, boring pablum on the stupid radio stations. But I agree, there's no sense in having every single thing they've ever come out with. I also agree with early U2 not being as good as the later stuff, simply because they were raw, inexpeienced and had alot of improving to do in the early days--and heck, the band itself know this. I remember reading where they don't even like to listen to the early stuff. Bono doesn't like his vocals. I'd rather listen to ATYCLB or Zooropa than Boy or War myself (I LOVE "Surrender", however--it is, in my opinion, their first really great song). I chose to buy it, however I can understand why people wouldn't want to.