ok, those of you who heard all 4 clips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Are the rumors true? Could this be their best work ever - a really special album?

I don't want to jump the gun but I have to say yes I think so. To me Vertigo and Miracle Drug both sound incredible, and the other two sound good but are hard to judge right now. But just listening to these clips fills me with an excitement that ATYCLB didn't (even though I liked ATYCLB).

So far it sounds very good. I like the fact that it seems less produced thaN ATYCLB, more stripped down as has been reported.

Ya know, it's true these clips suck (especially Love and Peace...) and judgements really shouldn't be made based on these clips. However, there is a sense of a return to the roots on Vertigo, something totally different on Love & Peace, and something a bit ATYCLB on Miracle Drug and ABOY. I think this album will have something for fans of every era of U2. I think it will make many people very happy.

From what I can hear, it's sounding very good indeed, the signs are looking very good for it being an excellent record.

Vertigo really grabbed me, as did Love and Peace Or Else, I just love that big ol' riff from Edge, that was really nice to hear.

I only heard Vertigo and Miracle Drug. Somehow I'm afraid these songs will not be representative for the quality of the whole album...

Even those crappy MP3's sound amazing! A+
They make you beg for more!!

Miracle Drug - For now, fantastic. I would go as far and say that this song awakes in me more emotions than any song since Achtung Baby.
Vertigo - Old, classic U2, but new 21st century U2 also. Sounds great, ideal for the first single.
Love and Peace or Else - Amazing. Incredibly new and raw.
All Because of You - Very good. Excellent, catchy chorus. But I think we didn't here that much of this song.

none of the 4 are duds.

so the possibility is still there.

there are 7 more tunes to go though.

will it be better than joshua tree or achtung baby? not likely...but probably their strongest record since AB.

probably their REAL "third masterpiece".

Well, clearly it's hard to tell at this point, but really the vibe is excellent. The feeling for me is very different than when I heard the clips from ATYCLB before the album came out. Although I appreciate this album today, and some of the songs were really amazing live, my first impression was not that good. I remember listening to the clips and feeling kind or weird and a bit worried...When I finally heard the whole album and was able to listen to it many times, I felt much better about the songs. But because of that, I was a bit nervous about listening to those new clips, but really, so far it has only gotten me totally pumped about the new album...

Everyone has been talking about the Edge, and clearly the fact that his guitar is very present in all the songs is the best news about this album. But I have to say, I have a very good feeling about Bono's singing too. Although it's hard to really judge with those crappy-sounding clips, it's seems to me like he has once again brought his voice to a new place, a mix of his older, more mature voice, with the emotion of the early days.

Okay - I've just listened to all for clips - each on gives me that special tingle one gets from listening to exceptional music - miracle drug and vertigo take my breath away. I agree that this will rank up with JT and AB. I feel that we are in for some very special months ahead - I hope they promote the hell out of this album - starting NOW
I'll maintain that the last clip feels like it have Lanois fingerprints on it - it has a WOWY vibe to it - and that song - over 15 years old still gives me chills

Last edited:
There's good reason to believe this album is going to be HUGE.

Personally, I didn't like "ABOY", but the quality was somewhat poor. That said, I think it's the weaker of all tracks heard so far.

Anyways, the rest sound bloody great. Of course, there are other songs off the album to listen to, but so far, so good. I thought that maybe Bono was blowing hot air about this album being so amazing, but I have little doubt now.

If the other songs are on this level, it probably will be. However, i don't think it's a coincidence that the two songs released by the spanish dude are "vertigo" and "miracle drug", probably the best two songs on the album in his opinion. Too hard to tell at this point, but yeah, this is probably already better than ATYCLB which boggles my mind. How old are these guys???

I think this will be a really special album. All Because Of You didn't do much for me, at least not at the same level the other 3 songs did. Vertigo is by far my favorite; it'll be a great single to introduce the new album. Edge is in tip-top shape on Miracle Drug - I think it'll sound great live. And Love & Peace is really different... It sounds like a cool, raw jam. This album is going to be something big. :hyper:

VertiGone said:
If the other songs are on this level, it probably will be. However, i don't think it's a coincidence that the two songs released by the spanish dude are "vertigo" and "miracle drug", probably the best two songs on the album in his opinion. Too hard to tell at this point, but yeah, this is probably already better than ATYCLB which boggles my mind. How old are these guys???

Yea I made that point in another thread. I also found it suspicious that both songs cut off right before what seems to be the climax of the song.

the potential is certainly there...

to be honest, i think they could even exceed their hype, depending on how good the other songs end up being too

this could be a really, really, really special album...

assuming that all 4 clips are shit quality*

Vertigo-A+
Positive: What's not positive about this clip?
Negative:The ocean and the Spaniards :)
Miracle Drug-B+
Positive: Has that Achtung feel, Bono sounds great
Negative: clip is not long enough :)
All Because of You-B
Positive: Great vibes, sort of late 60's rock, potential abounds
Negative: Again, the clip is not long enough to tell too much
Love and Peace or Else-C+
Positive: A different sounding song for U2
Negative: the worst audio quality of all 4 clips by far

Overall verdict:
Positive: Absolute potential for a great album, no question
Negative: The clips that we've heard are only enough to whet the appettite and don't reveal enough to make a legitimate opinion.
Which is probably a good thing, leaves a lot of question marks, but at least it gives us something to listen to for the next 2 months.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it either way. I think the fact that the audio quailty of these clips is so bad and the potential for these songs is so good, really says everything that needs to be said. It could be their best album since Achtung, but we aren't really going to know until November, which is the way the band want it anyways. That's cool by me.

I've heard all of the clips. By far, Miracle Drug is the one that intrigues me the most. It's got a very exciting vibe to it. It doesn't move too fast (at least in the 1 min clip), but it's U2 through and through. Let's face it, U2's best work has always been the slow to mid tempo songs. If I was really interested in speed of songs, I wouldn't love this band the way I do.

There's a vibe that's in all of these songs that's been missing since AB. I think that vibe is Edge's guitar. While, Pop had some great riffs and guitar work, it really didn't shine until the tour. These songs go back to Pre-Zooropa. So far I'd say none of the songs sound over produced, or "safe".

I will say this though about Love&Peace....It sounds more like a band jamming than a actual tune off the album.

I just wanted to say that everyone is killing me right now because my high speed is down and im on dial up, its taking forever to hear these two new tracks...I cant wait to hear them though. Ive loved ABOY and VERTIGO so far.

Here's my take on the songs:

Thumbs up! What ATYCLB was missing is passion. Compared to other U2 records, there was little passion, little to sing about on ATYCLB.

Good news; the passion spews forth on these clips. Surrounded by the waves, spanish dudes, and poor quality, the passion of these songs still manages to jump out and grab you. This is what JT and AB had going for it.

So yes, this will be a killer album. It won't sell more records than JT or AB but the rock scene has changed a lot since then. But substance-wise, I'm expecting this to be their best album.

i havnyt heard any!:(
anyone got the links for them so i can have a listen tonight???

boosterjuice said:

Thumbs up! What ATYCLB was missing is passion. Compared to other U2 records, there was little passion, little to sing about on ATYCLB.

how do you categorize kite, beautiful day, and walk on? those songs are not passionate? just curious, i think all three of those are. everyone has different takes on what makes a song passionate, but i don't think u2 has put out an album that lacks passion. plus any album that has kite on cannot be classified as lacking passion.

They are all right but I didn't like the "whoosh" sounds that Edge was playing on all those songs. I also hate the Spanish rapping thats littered throughout every song... Bono, leave the hip hop alone. It was especially bad when Bono and Sinead (or Andrea Corr?) were rapping at the end of Miracle Drug.

RademR said:
I just wanted to say that everyone is killing me right now because my high speed is down and im on dial up, its taking forever to hear these two new tracks

At least you have the comfort of knowing that in the near future you will have a high speed connection again...dial up is all i've ever had :madspit:

Flying FuManchu said:
They are all right but I didn't like the "whoosh" sounds that Edge was playing on all those songs. I also hate the Spanish rapping thats littered throughout every song... Bono, leave the hip hop alone. It was especially bad when Bono and Sinead (or Andrea Corr?) were rapping at the end of Miracle Drug.

:lol:

One correction though: It was J Lo.

i just heard them for the first time!!!:hyper:

absolutely loving that. i think it sounds great and definteily has something that ATYCLB was missing slighty
miracle drug, vertigo and L&P are amazing while ABOY is good but isnt grabbing me like the others do.. then again it is a long distance recording with seaside extras so i'm not going to make any judgements yet!

I'm getting really excited about this, far more so than i was when ATYCLB came out.
brilliant brilliant brilliant
i think im going to self combust
:combust:

Back
Top Bottom