OK people: there ARE three versions of E-Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
OK people: there ARE three versions of Electrical Storm

OK so there has been so much confusion about which version is which and actually how many there are. I think it might be helpful to use a common vernacular so that everyone is on the same page.

Demo Version: This is the one that we all heard first. It was played by Sarah HB of BBC Radio 1. It was apparently given to her by Bono. Distinguishing characteristics: A "dirtier" guitar riff that is somewhat similar in sound to the riff in "Staring At The Sun." Also the presence of an acoustic ryhthm guitar. This one has been widely reported as a demo (U2log, Billboard, etc.). Most likely will never see the light of day in any official capacity, although hopefully a better quality copy will surface on the internet in the future. I got this version from New <a href=http://newmedia.interference.com/download/u2newmedia2.exe><a href=http://newmedia.interference.com/download/u2newmedia2.exe><a href=http://newmedia.interference.com/download/u2newmedia2.exe>NewMedia</a></a></a>
under filename, "U2 electrical storm BBC Radio 1 August 25 2002." This one is my favorite.

Official radio releases: Here's where it gets tricky; there are two.

Single Version: I believe this one was the most played by stations across the US and Canada. I got it here:

http://www.u2exit.com/u2audio/archives/00000126.shtml

I personally heard this 3 times on KROQ in Los Angeles. Distinguishing characteristics: Glockenspiel in the beginning. No acoustic guitar. No "dirty" guitar as in demo.

Album Mix: I had no idea this existed until I d'oaded it from <a href=http://newmedia.interference.com/download/u2newmedia2.exe><a href=http://newmedia.interference.com/download/u2newmedia2.exe><a href=http://newmedia.interference.com/download/u2newmedia2.exe>NewMedia</a></a></a> under the filename: "U2 - Electrical Storm (Album Version - From Webstream)." The version I got was taken from the XRT webstream. It does not have the glockenspiel in the beginning; and seems to have a slower tempo. The XRT DJ referred to this as the version that will appear on the album. I have not found a good quality mp3 of this yet.

OK, I am not sure which one is the Orbit mix, but I believe it is the album version. Again, this is just basic detective work, I could be wrong, but I base my reasoning on the info available up until this point. IMO opinion I still like the demo version by far the best. I give second place to the album version, and third to the single mix. At first, I hated the single mix, but I am starting to like it better. All in all, they are all great. Kinda cool to have three versions.

Last edited:
Well I think there are five versions (in a generic sense of a word)

1 BBC Radio 1 demo version (not really a version though)
2 XRT Version (which has a Sunday morning add after the song)
3 William Orbit Mix (more or less unknown, but exists)
4 Philly Radio Version (the most talked about)
5 Canadian Radio ver (rumored to have no guitars in the intro)

I am sure there are only two "versions" but we have to wait till there is formal release statement.

You should keep in mind that XRT radio played the William Orbit version, and then played a more rocking version later on.

Personally I think there are only 3 versions of the song.

Philly, Candian, and XRT are the same thing. Orbit mix I believe is the albumversion which was also played on XRT. David, you are right--there are three not five.

ultraviolet353 said:
Philly, Candian, and XRT are the same thing. Orbit mix I believe is the albumversion which was also played on XRT. David, you are right--there are three not five.

Yeah, I am curious as to what the version I haven't heard sounds like. So far my favorite is the more rocking version.

too many versions. AAHHHH!!!

Actually, I like the elusive album version the best. I highly suggest y'all get NewMedia and download it. It has the same crescendo ending that the XRT version has, but it's beginning is Edge only, sans acoustic. For a song with a relatively weak opening anyway, this is the strongest of the three.

Unfortunately, the album version does not have that melodic lead riff throughout that the demo version has. Also, the demo's two-chord jingle toward the end is missing, which bites since it is such an Edge signature. Once cd-quality versions are available, I'm totally splicing together my own personal mix to solve these problems :banghead:

Last edited:
The Edge 102 version being payed in Toronto is different than the XRT version. I have heard them both.

Edge 102 version sounds more AB-like. The only other station in Toronto playing the song Q107 is playing the XRT version.

Alright, I'm confused. In Toronto, they are playing two versions??? I heard the Q107 version this morning. You are saying that the edge102 version is different??? Why would two radio stations which are owned by the same company and have studios that are about 200 feet away from each other be playing two versionis. I think the "legal" release is today at 9:45ish. I'll have to listen to the edge102 for the different version.

mike in toronto

ALRIGHT, I just turned on the edge102 and it was playing. Now granted it is morning right now, but they sounded the same to me. I think I need a cup of coffee!!! Something tells me that this song is going to be played A LOT over the next little while. I like the heavier sound than the demo version.

mike in toronto

I am going to lose it soon

I can confirm that I have heard three versions. Although I don't know their proper names.

1.) Demo (the best by far)
2.) Canadian Radio Station (Haunting beginning... absolutely no guitar... weak riff at end in comparison to Edge)
3.) The so-called XRT version from U2France. (Guitar at beginning, same... yet cleaned up, cool Edge guitar riff at the end...)

I would like to get my hands on an mp3 of #2. Anyone know where? Without having to download New MEdia? I am at work.

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!

Okay, I have heard 2 versions so far. The BBC Radio 1 version and the one from U2France. There's another version?

I guess one of our local stations debuted one of the versions yesterday during their morning show, but I didn't hear which one and they didn't play it today. (They played WOWY) That's what I get for listening to CDs in my car instead of the radio.

I'm a Mac person so I can't access NewMedia to hear what is there. Oh, well. I guess I'll hear them all eventually.

It is soooo confusing.

ok, if anyone is looking for the version w/ less sound, just edge playing at the beginning, i think the one referred to as the "album" version, there is a file on Sicy's FTP. Ellen and I recorded it last nite from that edge radio station at 10:20 and uploaded it into Sicy's "Uploads" folder. I'm not even sure what kind of file it ended up being, we had some trouble, but it should be there if there are no better recordings of this version.

if someone could check it out and tell me which version it really is, that would be awesome cus I'm VERY confused!!

*weeps* It's all so confusing!

Okay, so did anyone try to get the one we recorded and put on Sicy's FTP?
(I'm Ellen, by the way :wave: )
Because I tried to download it to my computer last night, and I don't think it worked.
Oh and if you did get it to work, can you hear our friend at the beginning say *does best blonde impression* "Is this, like, their new song or something?" :lol:

OK--so I have heard thre versions-Demo, single and album-- I have not heard the so-called "canadian version" that has the haunting beginning with no guitar--is there an mp3 of this?

The Canadian version is just the radio version in mono.

Where did you get both the single and radio versions? And are you sure that the one is not just the other in mono?

u2wanderer.org has updated their 'guide'

Electrical Storm (Radio Edit/Single Version) is now
Electrical Storm 4:26 [Single Mix]

Electrical Storm William Orbit Mix (Radio Edit)
is the real second track on the promo cd. currently unavailable.

Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix/Album Version) is now
Electrical Storm (4:26 Mono Edit)

Last edited:
good call Skeek! U2wanderer.org seems to have the best handle on the situation. What is so aggravating is that U2.com should have this info--Technically speaking U2.com is a great site, but it is always behind the curve as far as info is concerned. This is something simple they could report on and nip in the bud. ARGHHHHHHHH!

Well, we have a scanned picture of the promo CD (www.atu2.com) , so we know that 2 versions exist.

It has been distributed to thousands of radio stations. Someone will make an MP3 copy of the songs in the next day or two I am sure.

I hope a good MP3 gets out, of the Edge 102 radio version of the song aka William Orbit mix. I got it off Sicy's ftp, and it doesn't sound right. :(

david said:
I hope a good MP3 gets out, of the Edge 102 radio version of the song aka William Orbit mix. I got it off Sicy's ftp, and it doesn't sound right. :(

Once and for all, isn't this mix simply the mono version of the the other single being played on the radio?

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Once and for all, isn't this mix simply the mono version of the the other single being played on the radio?

Such is my interpretation of events

Back
Top Bottom