Ok, let's take a breath and get a... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2002, 08:42 AM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Well you obviously dont care for my opinion as you say its insignificant.
I myself have been here since July 2000, just so you know.
I did not say you were ridiculous, I said the things you'd said were. There is a difference.

What the person who started this thread said has nothing to do with my post. I don't believe in blind worship of any band either. I quite often criticize U2. I didn't think ATYCLB was the greatest album ever and some parts of it even bored me. But that is my opinion and if someone doesn't like me for that, then so be it.
I certainly wouldn't accuse members of this forum of being blind followers or worshippers though if they disagree with me, and I know there are many who do.

I'd like to know how you have been treated exactly as you say, just because you don't like a U2 album.
It sounds all rather absurd to me.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:46 AM   #22
POP for GIRLS

Local Time: 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowgirl

I'd like to know how you have been treated exactly as you say, just because you don't like a U2 album.
It sounds all rather absurd to me.
Yes, it is VERY absurd, but it has happened, and not just to me. I do not have time to tell the entire tale here, but if you PM me I will get back to you as soon as possible. As I said, I did not form my opinion lightly or frivilously and there are plenty here who know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:53 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Well, Im really not that concerned. I think if you've got something to say it can be said here. I really dont care to talk about it privately to be honest.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:13 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:36 PM

Okay, I'm going to step in here now because I do believe you should be able to discuss what you want to discuss about certain albums without fear of being attacked.

And Gypsy, I would ask that next time you feel a public flogging has arisen over someone's like/dislike of a particular album/song/video/tour, then perhaps you should PM a Mod so that we can take care of it, and ask the "floggers" to simmer down. If you feel that there are no Mods you can deal with - than perhaps we haven't met. You can always PM me if you would like to complain about posts or posters and I will take care of it.

EYKIW is and should be a place for everyone to peaceably discuss all things U2. If you feel that you cannot come here and feel comfortable, than perhaps you should say something about it so peace is restored. And Gypsy, I will apologize if you feel you have been targeted or that someone started a thread to anger you - I'm not sure how accurate that assertion is, however, as I am a Mod here, I will be paying even more close attention here than I already pay.

U2 is a passionately loved band, and there are always going to be posters who fervently believe their opinion is the only one. I would suggest in the future to you, Gypsy, and all the silent people you alluded to - to either ignore the floggers and go on about your business, or come to a Mod you are comfortable with so that you can post here again.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2002, 09:15 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

Seriously...I don't understand why anytime someone mentions POP it turns into this big fight. There's no reason for it. Some of us love it (like me), others don't. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having different opinions...And I also have to disagree that you can diss anything on this forum but Pop. That's just not true.

Of course, I really don't like dissing anything U2-related...
Old 08-23-2002, 09:32 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Gypsy- I know you have felt persecuted because of your open hatred for Pop. And I do recall hurtful statements that were hurled your way regarding this. I'm not going to pretend that the pro-Pop, anti-Pop arguments never got ugly. But, first, the thread you speak of was an isolated incident. And, second, the ugliness cuts both ways. You say that anyone on the board who says something bad about Pop risks being "branded, shunned, chastised and burned at the steak." Well, everyone who posts something pro-Pop risks having you, first, drop in and trash the album and, second, if they take offense to this, accuse them of trying to silence anyone with a differing opinion. Can you see why people might react negatively to this? What if every time someone started a Joshua Tree appreciation thread, I jumped in and trashed the album but then told people they didn't have the right to get pissed because I have the right to my opinion, dammit. Of course, I'd never do this because I adore The Joshua Tree, but do you see my point?

If there is a pro-POP thread, isn't it possible for you to simply ignore it? Don't go in and read it if you hate the album so much. If you don't want to be chastized for hating it, don't drop in in the middle of a celebration of it just to say how much you loathe it. I'm not saying you don't have the right to express your opinion. Of course you do. But why is it necessary to express it at every turn, especially when you know it's going to start a conflict?

EDIT: Hello Angel, I didn't see your post until after I posted, so please don't think I'm needlessly trying to extend the argument. I just felt this needed to be said.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:40 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Re: Ok, let's take a breath and get a...

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
LIFE!!!!!!

How come if ANYBODY writes ANYTHING the slightest thing negative about U2 in this forum, everybody freaks out and screams about how U2 could wipe poo on a CD and that would be fine with them. C'MON!

U2 is, by far, my favorite band. However, as an artist, you put things out there and people judge them. It's the nature of art. If nobody ever sad anything bad about Pop, I don't think ATYCLB would have been half the record it is. Also, you have to ask yourself, as I've stated before, why U2 are remixing Pop and Zooropa and NOT JT, AB, or ATYCLB. I think U2 knows they kind of "failed" with those two albums.

A "checks and balance" system is what "keeps it real."
I think getting worked up about anything in this forum is slightly bizzarre (sp?)

You may think U2 "failed" with Zooropa and Pop. And yet the band has gone on record saying how proud they are of those two albums, and the POPMART tour. Sure, maybe they feel the albums could've been mixed better. I wouldn't argue with them on that one. But I don't believe they think they failed. But then again, you know what they say about opinions and assholes......

But you're right, people tend to get a bit proctective of the band around here sometimes. But what do you expect, it IS a U2 forum. You're talking about a community made up almost entirely of hardcore fans. Not surprising. I'd suggest letting it run off your back and worrying about more important things, like if it's going to rain anymore today and what the bonus tracks on the new single will be
Old 08-23-2002, 09:49 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well said, popkid.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:14 AM   #29
Banned

well u asked for it

Speaking of remixing with POP and Zooropa , i have nothing against remixing songs from it for " best of " , b-sides , soundtracks , but i'm strongly against re-releasing COMPLETE ALBUMS again . you can 't cut the past , even if some dorks don't like it . POP was great , and if you ask me , ATYCLb deserves much less . it's like the difference between sexy sugar girl age of 18-28 ( pop&ZOOropa ) and 38 year old woman with 3 kids to feed . media hype doesn't concern me , what concern me is music from speakers , and on pop and zooropa it's twice more interesting then on ATYCLB , perhaps the best cure for U2 now will some gigs with no theme .
Old 08-23-2002, 11:04 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: well u asked for it

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd
Speaking of remixing with POP and Zooropa , i have nothing against remixing songs from it for " best of " , b-sides , soundtracks , but i'm strongly against re-releasing COMPLETE ALBUMS again . you can 't cut the past , even if some dorks don't like it . POP was great , and if you ask me , ATYCLb deserves much less . it's like the difference between sexy sugar girl age of 18-28 ( pop&ZOOropa ) and 38 year old woman with 3 kids to feed . media hype doesn't concern me , what concern me is music from speakers , and on pop and zooropa it's twice more interesting then on ATYCLB , perhaps the best cure for U2 now will some gigs with no theme .

Confirmed FACT: U2 are releasing another Best Of compilation later this year. This will contain tracks from albums within the 1990-2000 period.

Confirmed FACT: U2 are in the midst of recording a new album.

Unconfirmed weird RUMOR: U2 are remixing complete albums, namely Pop and Zooropa.

Please try and spend energy on discussing things that have actually been confirmed. As the person who posts news around here, I have yet to see U2 confirm they are remixing entire albums. Edge has said in the past that he would like remix many things because he is never truly happy with the finished mix in the studio, but with all that they have going on right now, I seriously doubt they are doing so.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:38 PM   #31
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes
If there is a pro-POP thread, isn't it possible for you to simply ignore it? Don't go in and read it if you hate the album so much.
i agree. i've noticed this in just about any pro- or anti-whatever thread started just about everywhere on the forum. for example, in LS there is a madonna CELEBRATION forum and i've seen over five posts from people saying how much she sucks. i'm not her biggest fan or anything, but come on. if you hate madonna, that's fine. either keep it to yourself or start your own thread.

the same should also go to any (for example) anti-pop thread. us pop lovers should try our best to just stay the hell away from it. if it's just so important that you have to shout from the rooftops how much it rocks, then start a new thread. imo, it's starting to get kind of annoying to see threads that are clearly for celebrating or criticizing a certain artist, album, whatever, and people who disagree come in and give their two cents. a discussion thread (ex: does october rock or suck? give your opinions here!) is different; it's calling for both sides to weigh their opinion.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:43 PM   #32
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
Seriously...I don't understand why anytime someone mentions POP it turns into this big fight.
I do.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:52 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Sheesh!

POP.

It's a fucking record people. Not a religion, not a cause for genocide, not a way of life.

Like it, don't like it. Who really freaking cares? To rail against someone who likes it is lame, and to get all defensive about it is lame also.

It's ok to not like something a rock and roll band does. Hell, I love my husband with all my heart and soul, more than anything else or anyone else on this planet, but sometimes even he pisses me off. But the world does not stop turning. We get through it. So I think all of us can handle our favorite band bugging us a little. And we can handle it when others are bugged by the band. If you can't handle it, you may indeed need to get a life.

[/rant]
Old 08-23-2002, 02:00 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

One more thing

Another thing: An album you don't particularly like isn't a personal betrayal, and neither is someone else hating your favorite album.

That's all, and I mean it this time.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:11 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Martha, what you said makes total sense, which is why I try to stay out of these types of arguments. Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion and, like HelloAngel said, when it comes to U2, these opinions are likely to be strong ones. And usually it doesn't bug me. But sometimes the negativity just gets to me a wee bit, you know? What Khanada said is basically what I was trying to get at. I didn't mean to make it sound all dramatic.

Now come, everyone...dance with me:

Old 08-23-2002, 02:22 PM   #36
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:

Old 08-23-2002, 02:26 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

*dances with HHSC*
Old 08-23-2002, 02:32 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Also, to corroborate with Martha here...

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone has a right to express it. Everyone must deal with whatever opinion someone has.

As long as you keep it nice and don't attack someone for their beliefs, I don't care what people say about any record.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:44 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Shake it!

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

*dances with HHSC*
*dips martha*

Old 08-23-2002, 03:06 PM   #40
POP for GIRLS

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

I do.
Oh I know it's because I say I don't like it. What about everyone else who jumps in? Can't THEY just keep it to themselves? No one can fight alone. If no one cannot accept that I do not like this album and I do not have to shut up because you do not want to hear it, that is not my problem. Like I said, you are not allowed to dislike this album on this forum. Okay so you can say it, but you will suffer for it. Not saying it the same as censorship, the same as being intimidated into submission. Everybody thinks I'm so bizarre to hate it, what about all the ones who constantly get so worked up and frenzied because of what I say? Gypsy doens't like Pop, and she's going to let you know about it. So what.

Please remember too this thread was started by someone else about people being upset over people fighting over albums, and I don't think it had anything to do with me. I agree with everything the original poster said, because it's true.

Cowgirl, I'm not surprised you don't want to discuss this in private. It's no fun for anyone if they can't bash me here!