ok, here's something U2 related, Sicy: the JT-AB-ATYCLB trio and U2's mistakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
well, i think those three make up a nice trio. even though most people will say JT is the "U2 album", to me all three would have to share it.

first, here is JT with its reach language of metaphores nad its "airy" feel. it feels like the band's sound could fill up a giant space. U2's big break, with 3 big songs: Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY-and No.1 in US.

then comes AB with dark lyrics and a totally different sound. this time, the band's sound feels like playing in an abandoned warehouse, or a garage with all the echoes on Edge's guitar, and effects on Bono's voice.
it's all about reinventing, along with a new look and a new tour. the big song: One.

ATYCLB-very optimistic lyrics, perhaps the warmest ever. it feels like the band is playing in a room, right in front of you. a more clean, natural sound compared to 90's U2. some of the music sounds like 80's U2, some of it sounds like 90's U2, and some of it is brand new sound.
includes one of U2's biggest hits Beautiful day. it could outsell JT.

all three represent what is best about U2. three different sound images, yet it's all the same band.

U2's mistakes (on albums): well, IMO, there are 3 things that prevent U2 to have even more VERY successfull albums:
- too much things on one album (example: Pop-is it rock, is it dance, is it experimental? or Rattle and hum: i think it would be better with U2's new songs alone)
- too much ambition (example: 90's U2. IMO, they put too much emphasis on sounding unlike anyone else. innovative sounds, sure, but where are the songs? One and maybe Stay are the only ones that can compare with the standard of U2's songs.
ATYCLB is perhaps the first album without that pressure: really, it doesn't seem like this is the world's biggest band.)
- not keeping up the level of songs (example: JT. first 5,6 songs are very strong, but the rest doesn't keep up IMO. or AB-all the songs are very equal, with One way above the rest.)

------------------
"the beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart"
- Carson Daly, introducing U2

the goal is soul

"be uncool, yes be awkward"

Sweetheart, long Maja posts give me a headache.

scream.gif

------------------
Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics In The Stew
Happily Not Like Me And You
That's where I lost you....

Sicy's Website

Actually, those are my 3 favorite albums.... now that I actually read your post.

LOL!

biggrin.gif

I've been listening to all of them alot lately.

------------------

Sicy's Website

LOL! it's not that long!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

well there you go. thanks for reading it. that wasn't too hard, was it?
wink.gif

------------------

the goal is soul

I knew I could count on you for something U2 related.

yelclap.gif

------------------

Sicy's Website

ATYCLB - Falls apart near the end.

After "Peace On Earth" it loses all momentum and the songs don't match the quality of the first 8 tracks. It doesn't push any bounderies like almost all of U2's other albums.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 09-12-2001).]

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I knew I could count on you for something U2 related.

yelclap.gif

well i've been thinking about posting something other than the events lately (and trying to take our minds off it), and i've been meaning to post this for a while...so when i saw your "U2" thread, i just went for it.

------------------

the goal is soul

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 09-12-2001).]

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
ATYCLB - Falls apart near the end.

After "Peace On Earth" it loses all momentum and the songs don't match the quality of the first 8 tracks. It doesn't push any bounderies like almost all of U2's other albums.

I sort of agree with you, except for "When I look at the World" I am so in love with that song.. I think its a great song.

thinkerg1.gif

------------------

Sicy's Website

I think GRACE is a great ending - song

POP was a sharp razor , ATYCLB is a Paraplane in the blue sky - the most optimistic U2 record so far
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom