OH MY GOD !!! Is the #9 theory true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought that track 3 was the best too!!
smile.gif
Damn...fReAkY!

Hmmm...

Personnally, I mostly have a preference for the next-to-last track. Coincidentally, that is also often a slightly darker track than the rest of the album.

(Well, to be honest, I have to test this on some other CD's than U2 CD's and it doesn't even hold for all U2 CD's, but generally... you get my point).

Applying this theory to U2-albums:
Joshua Tree - Exit
Rattle & Hum - God Part II (next-to-last studio track)
Achtung Baby - Acrobat
Pop - Please

But I really have to check more of my albums to see if the theory really holds.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

ive never heard anything about this as a theory but have always thought track 3 was the best...

alison

------------------
It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

Track 3's probably the best because it's often released as a single - and thus needs to be best representative of the album as a whole. U2's albums tend to be frontloaded - meaning the best songs are often at the very start, so naturally the best tracks would cover track 3. Incidentally, my favourite U2 song, One, is track #3 on Acthung Baby.

I've always heard the track 3 as well. I've never heard the track 9, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

hmmmm..i have to go home do the track 3 thing now.

I did track 9 with most of my Cd's & i have to say some of the best songs are 9s. Not the best as in getting radio play but just truly good in general.

I went to check your #9 theory, pulled the cd nearest to me (which is naturally U2 7)

DOH!

hmmmm, for some odd reason the #9 theory doesn't work with U2 7!!!
biggrin.gif

Well, I'll have to check it out later then, interesting theory...

Going with the number #3 theory, that would translate to U2 as...

An Cat Dubh
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
New Year's Day
Wire
With or Without You
Desire (though Hawkmoon 269 was the third 'new material' track)
One
Numb
Mofo
Elevation

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
I went to check your #9 theory, pulled the cd nearest to me (which is naturally U2 7)

DOH!

hmmmm, for some odd reason the #9 theory doesn't work with U2 7!!!
biggrin.gif

Well, I'll have to check it out later then, interesting theory...

LMAO!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Ok...The BF & I were having discussion last nite & i felt like we need to put this to the test. I tried it at home with my Cd's & it works. It totally baffled me. SO, i told him to email me. So we can see what others think. Below is his theory:

It is my firm belief that the best song on 9 out-of 10 CD's will always be the ninth track.

I came across this discovery when I was about sixteen and one of my neighbors who works for a record label gave me dozens of CD's (mostly mediocre). On the majority of the CD's I only liked 1 or 2 songs, and each time it was the ninth track.
Years later, this 'theory' still holds true as most of my favorite songs on my CD's are the ninth track.

I also use it to decide whether or not I will buy a CD - if I'm in a record store with a listening station - I'll play the ninth track and if its great I'll take it (works well for bands you are not familiar with - as far as I can remember this has only let me down once.)

Note: ninth track songs may not be your favorite right away (i.e. singles or made for radio) - but the more you listen to them, the more you appreciate them.

So guys...what is the issue with the #9? Did it work with all your cd's...It worked on my U2 cd's as well as my boot's.

Starr

Track 3 always kicks ass. Well, not if it's an NSync album. So, I guess track 3 usually kicks ass.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

hmmm....

Track 3:

Wonderwall - Oasis (Whats the Story...Morning Glory)
Live Forever - Oasis (Definately Maybe)
Alive - Pearl Jam (Ten)
Daughter - Pearl Jam (Vs)
With Or Without You - U2 (JT)
One - U2 (AB)
Coldplay - Spies (Parachutes)

In my opinion, the strongest songs on these albums...hmmmm

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

im gonna pull random cds from my shelf and see what i come up with for theory 3..
be right back!

ok im back
biggrin.gif

i closed my eyes when i pulled them down.
Chilli peppers(californication) Scar Tissue
fatboy slim(we've come a long way baby) Fucking in heaven
travis (good feeling) the line is fine
Sp (mellon collie)JellyBelly/Thirty Three
REM (Up) Suspicion

eh..well..hmmm depends on the band i guess

Actually, I have noticed the 9 theory as well. Many times my favorite song on a CD is 9. However, 9 is not usually a single, rather just a great song.

I believe the theory!

It's all subjective, but the 9-theory fails miserably for me:

Another Time Another Place
Stranger In A Strange Land
Surrender
Elvis Presley and America
One Tree Hill
Trying to Throw Your Arms . . .
Dirty Day
Playboy Mansion
When I Look at the World

Many good songs here, but none are the best on their albums in my opinion, except maybe One Tree Hill - but of course it has stiff competition.

Back
Top Bottom