OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :lmao:

those things sound like shit, you CAN'T posibly get anything besides the rythm and some lyrics out of them

it's all hype, and they might be good, but give me a break, you can't get MASTERPIECE from a beach clip, or an "outside-Hanover Quay" clip with a car passing by

for all we know, they might suck as they might be great.

there's only one thing clear... they're late

This is simply wrong. You can follow the melodies completely for the entire song in the case of clips 1-4. You can also make out a good deal of lyrics, particularly in track 2. The guitar solos and riffs are very clear. Have you tried high quality headphones and playing around with the equalizer? You might be very surprised.

The difference of opinions about how much you can glean from the beach clips is certainly fascinating. But to suggest that those who have been listening to them regularly for enjoyment can't "posibly [sic] get anything" out of them is false.

:doh: Yeah, that MUST be the only reason I'm not this super-duper huge fan of the album. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but the whole "U2 copying the hip music at the time" argument is just total bullshit and has become very very tiresome... Pop came out in March 1997. I seriously doubt they were copying the Prodigy or Chem Bros.! Didn't Dig Your Own Hole and Fat Of The Land come out afterwards???

Last edited:
Oh yeah, let's Shake & Bake motherfu**er, SHAKE & BAKE!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Umm, IGWSHA and Please are more significant, IMO at least, than anything U2 have done this decade. And holy hot dogs Batman that MOFO is an absolute BEAST of a song :drool:

I would just love U2 to be that daring again. I wasn't suggesting they try to repeat the POP sound, nor that they pull Timbaland in for a cheeky rap-lite interlude. God, imagine thay copied Usher and banned men from the live shows :sad:

"Mofo" is a great song. However, it's just U2 emulating the sounds that were wildly popular in Europe at the time (from artists like The Chemical Bros. and Prodigy). As good as "Mofo" is, for the first time ever, U2 was copying sounds they heard as opposed to leading the pack. U2 have always been influenced by other artists - but "Pop" was the first time they took influences popular at that moment in time and tried to use them in their work. In other words, they became followers. U2 didn't stand apart (as they did with "War", UF, JT, AB and "Zooropa").

"If God Will Send..." and "Please" aren't that good melodically. "Please" has some great lyrics, but melodically both songs are very weak. The themes on "Please" have been done much better by U2 both before and after the release of that song. Mind you, I don't hate "Please" and feel it is worthy of being on the album. It's just that I feel U2 have covered this idea far better.

"Gone" is great, but that noise at the beginning hurts my ears. "Wake Up Dead Man" is similar to "If God..." in theme and I just don't like the melody. "Playboy Mansion" is uninspiring. "Discotheque" is fun the first few times, but then becomes irritating - too much like the bubble gum mentioned in the lyrics. "Miami" is brilliant with the "bah bahs" until it's ruined by that horrid screaming. "Staring at the Sun" is a great idea, if it weren't such a rip-off of George Harrison.

Despite the above, I don't hate the album. I feel it is a solid effort by U2 and it was one of my favorite albums in 1997 (fighting with Radiohead's "OK Computer", which I also have a love/hate relationship with). But by U2's standards, I feel it is very middle of the road. They've done done far better.

This is why I'd rather not see U2 rush a release now. So many of you hate the U2 of this decade. I don't hate "Pop", but I don't need to see it again. Likewise, many of you don't want to see U2 release another ATYCLB or HTDAAB. And, even though I like those albums, I agree. I'd rather wait 4 more months than see another ATYCLB. Just like "Pop", ATYCLB was fun at the time, but I prefer not to hear it again. There are plenty of weaknesses on that album too (perhaps I "don't get" that album either :sexywink: ).

In other words, I don't want U2 making another UF or JT or AB or HTDAAB or anything else. Based on the beach clips, I did hear plenty of "older" sounds. If U2 take a few more months to revamp and update - or even add songs (to make a double album :drool: ), I'm all for it. The only way I would be disappointed is if U2 produce an album that sounds far too similar to past efforts - why the delay then?

You must have not seen the AB/Pop reviews, or the U2 fans opinion, or in fact the band's own influences at the time. I'm not denying it's a very strong U2 album. This was done before, have a look at that Metallica thread again.

Prodigy or the C-Bros were making albums before, those were just the ones that made them famous. I just think it's weak, at best, to portray that U2 never paid attention to the rise of dance music at all in the 90s. Or that the 90's U2 invented anything musically. Or that Pop somehow wasn't U2 trying to be hip any less than ATYCLB.

U2girl, I decided to not beat that madchester horse again! :wink:

And doctorwho, you dislike the Joshua Tree. So I doubt we'll ever agree. Maybe we should agree to disagree.

Trying to avoid another Pop related fight here. :crack:

OK, let's not do that any more. I agree.

I wonder if a truly great U2 album this time would end the ongoing discussion on the last three albums ? :pray:

Just like "Pop", ATYCLB was fun at the time, but I prefer not to hear it again. There are plenty of weaknesses on that album too (perhaps I "don't get" that album either :sexywink: ).

:lol: The sexywink returns!

Btw, I saw your post before the edit and you claimed that Achtung didn't copy anything... something U2girl would disagree with! :tongue:

I'm sorry but the whole "U2 copying the hip music at the time" argument is just total bullshit and has become very very tiresome... Pop came out in March 1997. I seriously doubt they were copying the Prodigy or Chem Bros.! Didn't Dig Your Own Hole and Fat Of The Land come out afterwards???

If I mention a weakness on ATYCLB or HTDAAB, people nod their neads :yes: due to some inexplicable backlash against those albums. Mention a weakness on "Pop" and you'd think that I committed blasphemy. My, how time has turned those glasses ever so rose.

The Chemical Bros. were and Prodigy had releases prior to those albums and subsequent to "Pop". U2 even admitted to being heavily influenced by the sounds in Europe at that time. Scream "bullshit" all you want, but them's the facts.

Of course, that's also part of the problem. Three songs on "Pop" have that electronic dance vibe. Then we have some George Harrison. Then we have some classic U2 sounds - but not done nearly as well as they did in the past (as if they were trying to get AB sounds again, but failed). The album is incohesive and disjoined. In other words, it's a solid effort, but not great.

But let's not turn this into another "Pop" thread. I just wrote why I'm not a super huge fan of it. If you are, that's fantastic. Guess how that affects my world. Keep guessing! :D

In truth, do you REALLY want to see another "Pop"? I don't. Nor do I want U2 being influenced too heavily by current sounds of the time (like Timbaland or the new R&B). I also don't want U2 copying themselves too much. I don't want another JT or AB either.

I recognize U2's sound is U2's sound, so by definition there will be songs that are reminiscent of past U2 songs. But if 4 more months means eschewing one "classic" song for another more "experimental" track or revamping a song, then it may be worthwhile.

If, however, this delay produces another "safe" album, then I would be disappointed.

I definitely do not want another Pop or Achtung or ATYCLB or anything that's been done before! Believe it or not, I actually do not hate the last 2 albums. But I do prefer Pop by a lot! So I guess I don't care even if it indeed WAS influenced by the dance music at the time... something I don't know how either of us can be sure about!

influences, NOT copying

:lol: The sexywink returns!

Btw, I saw your post before the edit and you claimed that Achtung didn't copy anything... something U2girl would disagree with! :tongue:

If that's how you want to remember it.

I don't care if they wait until next fall......................as long as we get a remastered Achtung Baby in the meantime! :applaud::wave:

The worst U2 album stinks of huge profit for the label. They do have complete freedom to do whatever they want. Their core fan base is one of the biggest. They set a high standard. Even if they lost label support they could go independent and their profit per album would skyrocket.

They are not satisfied yet. Whether it's an artistic or a marketability determination is irrelevant. These are both factors they have weighed for years when creating their product.

Well said, I completely agree. U2 are not BSing anyone. In fact, I think they've been listening very carefully for once, and thus don't feel it is ready. I personally don't see the problem in that.

This delay may give us the greatest U2 song ever.

They are working on a classic and don't want to put it out unfinished.

I just wish Bono would stop smoking, it will kill his vocal chords.

It is disappointing that I have to wait longer although it is good to hear that they are very excited and making something that will blow the music world down. :reject:

Hope it comes out January/February. :hyper:

And they are not rushing it, maybe we might get a double album? Who knows? :reject:

A Double Album and a Live Album and Remastering all their other albums and a partridge in a pear tree.:applaud:

Third week of November.......we'll be talking up a (new) storm then.

Can't say what it is, but watch out......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom