OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, are Eno and Lanois even involved with these continuing sessions? I imagine those guys are already booked/moving on to other projects. Anyone know if Lillywhite is still around? Or did he mix the singles and head out?

So, are Eno and Lanois even involved with these continuing sessions? I imagine those guys are already booked/moving on to other projects. Anyone know if Lillywhite is still around? Or did he mix the singles and head out?

Isnt lanois or Eno supposed to be going on some tour?

Sounds like the album is done, but for business reasons, they're putting it off until Feb. Maybe they'll get some sort of tax break?

I know Bono said they're going after songs, but that's just something to tell the fans. It sounds better than "we're going to release it next year to get a tax break" or "we don't want to compete with the other big albums this christmas".

Well, I think that if business reasons would prevail, the album would be released in the fall. That's when most albums are bought/sold.
My guess is that the delay of the album is a creative decision. To set the release date in February (although I think that it'll end up to be March) is a business decision. January isn't a good month to release albums (too close after the holiday period, people low on cash) and February might be slightly better, but is still considered 'low season'. Big name albums usually start to appear from March onwards.

BTW, I don't think there's a tax break on this. And being one of the biggest bands in the world, it's more like other big albums have to compete with U2 than it being the other way.

Mayb this time Bono actually put his foot down over proposed tracklists cuts (i.e. Mercy) and figured time may help his case.

LOL.... who the hell knows?

I think it's hilarious reading this thread.

Bono: "Things are going so well that we're going to keep writing songs because things are going so good."

Fans: "OH MY GOD! WHAT'S WRONG?!"

Bono just told you, you dummies. Nothing. They're writing more songs because, well, why not? If you're on a roll, you're on a roll. Stay on it. A creative streak is something to take advantage of, because trust me, the well dries up. And then you need a tour and a break to recharge your creative juices.

The songs written between now and the release date could be some of the best songs this band has written.

Mm hmm....:|

This is a business decision, not a creative one. The reason the album is being delayed is because the re-issued CDs have not been selling well and Universal want the Holiday crowd to buy them up and deplete their stock of unsold copies. If U2 released a new CD at Christmas, those re-issued copies of Boy, October, and War would sit on shelves while everyone bought the new album.

Not a chance of this sorry

The new album would sell millions more than the reissues combined if it was released in October. If the album is released in February or March, then it is most likely down to a creative decision.

The reissues will sell when they go on tour again, as the reissues are now the only back catalogue shops are stocking of the early albums.

Not a chance of this sorry

The new album would sell millions more than the reissues combined if it was released in October. If the album is released in February or March, then it is most likely down to a creative decision.

The reissues will sell when they go on tour again, as the reissues are now the only back catalogue shops are stocking of the early albums.

I think its actually BOTH.

You can never say that delaying or pushing up a release is only CREATIVE. Its ALWAYS business related in some way shape or form, especially for U2.

While Bono might have said that they wanted to write more and polish up the current songs or whatever the hell he's spewing...its ALWAYS business related. To say otherwise would be displaying ignorance towards how the business actually works.

Now I don't mean ignorance in the negative "you suck and you're dumb" way...more of the "not understanding how it works" way. :wink:

I must also mention that I'm not a music insider hotshot who knows everything and I don't work in the music business either...but I have a good idea how the biz basically works, just like I know how ALOT of businesses basically work. Its always about sales and money.

U2 can EASILY put out a mediocre record NOW and still sell albums, but are choosing to take more time and make the record better, which is indeed CREATIVE. But if the move would have been a bad idea BUSINESS wise for whatever reason, you could bet your ass that the album would be released THIS year. They just have the luxury of being able to postpone it...due inpart to the current rereleased older albums on the market and such.

I think its actually BOTH.

You can never say that delaying or pushing up a release is only CREATIVE. Its ALWAYS business related in some way shape or form, especially for U2.

While Bono might have said that they wanted to write more and polish up the current songs or whatever the hell he's spewing...its ALWAYS business related. To say otherwise would be displaying ignorance towards how the business actually works.

Now I don't mean ignorance in the negative "you suck and you're dumb" way...more of the "not understanding how it works" way. :wink:

I must also mention that I'm not a music insider hotshot who knows everything and I don't work in the music business either...but I have a good idea how the biz basically works, just like I know how ALOT of businesses basically work. Its always about sales and money.

U2 can EASILY put out a mediocre record NOW and still sell albums, but are choosing to take more time and make the record better, which is indeed CREATIVE. But if the move would have been a bad idea BUSINESS wise for whatever reason, you could bet your ass that the album would be released THIS year. They just have the luxury of being able to postpone it...due inpart to the current rereleased older albums on the market and such.

Oh course their is always business, I mean God they're signed to a record label it's always going to be about money.

But I really don't think they postponed it over money; I mean bringing it back to February could hurt overall sales by up to 25% maybe more (depending on how long the album stays in the charts). The reissues are only selling thousands worldwide; so I really don't think the label or the band is really considering reissue sales in this at all. I mean the best way to sell the reissues is for the band to tour or release an album/single and get new fans who will buy time or at least create more interest in the band.

Overall, postponing the album will make the band/label make less money so I don't see how people can call delaying it to be based on business. Honestly I think the main reason it was delayed was creative; I really doubt the label or Paul McGuinness were happy with it, but it makes no sense business wise and in the name of the all mighty Euro to release in February over October when as you said they could release an awful album and it would sell.

Then again I could be wrong maybe the reason it's delayed is because the label heard it and said "Hey there's no single here" and the band is off to record some more commercial songs but at this stage we really don't know. But from what we do know I think we'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt that it was more a Creative decision than a business one.

The way people are soaking up what bono said, swollowing every word, you'd think they have just come off the last bannana boat.

OMFG 50-60 SOngZ
EArLy nXt YEArz !!
JT - AB HAWt HAWt

Oh course their is always business, I mean God they're signed to a record label it's always going to be about money.

EXACTLY, which is why I think that they asked themselves "Will this hurt the potential sales of a new album if we release it NEXT year as opposed to THIS year? Answer: "No, we are U2 our album will sell regardless...we better just make a great album." So they pushed the release. My point is that they always start thinking BUSINESS minded and work their way from there. Its not like they can just go tell Paul McG that they want to postpone the album and thats final. There's alot of deliberation and thought put into it regarding how that effects the BUSINESS side of it...record sales, touring, and all that jazz.

But I really don't think they postponed it over money; I mean bringing it back to February could hurt overall sales by up to 25% maybe more (depending on how long the album stays in the charts). The reissues are only selling thousands worldwide; so I really don't think the label or the band is really considering reissue sales in this at all. I mean the best way to sell the reissues is for the band to tour or release an album/single and get new fans who will buy time or at least create more interest in the band.

I'm not sure where you're getting that number...but I think even if it is a number that can be backed up by previous music sales history it doesn't apply to a band as big as U2. Less known bands have to worry more about that kind of stuff then U2...but it doesn't mean U2 doesn't have to take it into consideration. I personally think its smarter to release an album in the fall, but then again I'm not U2.

Overall, postponing the album will make the band/label make less money so I don't see how people can call delaying it to be based on business. Honestly I think the main reason it was delayed was creative; I really doubt the label or Paul McGuinness were happy with it, but it makes no sense business wise and in the name of the all mighty Euro to release in February over October when as you said they could release an awful album and it would sell.

Not necessarily, for many of the reasons I said above. Why do you think they would ultimately want to delay the album CREATIVELY? To make a better album...why would their record company give a crap about a great record over a mediocre record? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So it yet again comes back around to the BUSINESS end of it. A mediocre U2 album will go platinum easily because of their name. A great album will go platinum and fill arenas and stadiums because of their name and their music. See what I mean?

Then again I could be wrong maybe the reason it's delayed is because the label heard it and said "Hey there's no single here" and the band is off to record some more commercial songs but at this stage we really don't know. But from what we do know I think we'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt that it was more a Creative decision than a business one.

Very valid point. Maybe they did indeed say that...although I think U2 has some power and weight to throw around in those decisions. I doubt they get pushed around at all by their record company.

I don't doubt at all that is was a CREATIVE decision...my point all be it probably not worth all of this discussion is that it was very much related to the BUSINESS end of it. They are banking that they won't lose anything money wise to get more time for a better album that will yield more in the end.

I hope when its all said and done that this damn album is worth the wait!

:hmm: Maybe a combo of all of those guys will finish this album with the band.

If the album is truly as ground-breaking and incredible as all the insiders say it is, then it will sell well regardless of when it's released. They have enough money at this point anyway. I think they just want this one to be perfect, and it was starting to feel rushed, so they backed off the accelerator.

about the delay...is possible that they released too much material this year? And this could affect the new album in November?

One Day I'll Fly Away - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Confirmed Rumour for the new single, Wikipedia never lies :hyper:

U2 have done some brilliant covers of other live songs.

I love the version of The Who's "Wont Get Fooled Again".

Night and Day and Everlasting Love are possibly the best versions of any one of those songs.

One Day I'LL Fly Away would be a perfect song for U2 to cover, IMO.

It would be exciting and mystic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom