OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ah yes that's better...seeing as Bono is the singer, not the guitar player anyway :shrug:

and I'm sure most people read that didn't think twice about it like you said....I just wanted to make sure that you really didn't mean his "musical abilities" cause umm...that would be pretty foolish ;)

Well, he didn't have any when he joined the band...he just had passion and a pretty unique and decent voice. Has much really changed? You could hardly describe what he does as guitar-playing and he has taken a couple beginner's piano lessons this decade. He does play a mean harmonica. But come on, he's been in a band for 30 years. He probably is the most musically-challenged of anyone who could lay claim to that. Which is perhaps a good thing (after all, Johnny Greenwood refuses to let Thom Yorke learn how to read music...he thinks is will mess up his unique approach and abilities).

Amen to that. You are right that people would actually be more angry at getting a Bono quote than getting nothing--happened a decent amount with pre-Bomb stuff.

I could agree with that. I don't like Bono descriptions. Punk rock from venus and stuff like that. It only add to our fustrated expectations...

As i said before, i think all we are waiting for is official info and a release date. That would calm everybody down

Amen.

Add "Final Drive" as another solid piece of evidence for November.

And although it hasn't been brought up as much lately, especially because the producers started yapping, do people remember the point I brought up earlier--that the band were taking a consciously "hush-hush" approach to this album as compared to previous ones. Now, that may not have a lot to do with this current debate, but I think the concept of taking a fresh approach to hype/quotes/pre-album marketing/etc. is tied in with this--especially with Edge's (if he really said anything) recent (or not-so-recent) comments.

Here's a possibility:

Maybe U2 wants to minimize the chance of the album leaking by giving fans a month to get hold of the album, versus the usual three? There are many positives to this "new" "Hey guys, our album is coming out next week: check it out!" style of marketing. In Rainbows didn't leak, I'm telling you that much.

Exactly...Screwtape, did you read this? So your theory that this is a sign that U2 is "winding down" is complete bullshit. Agreed? :)

U2 has released great albums during and not too long after tours. TUF was released just 9 months after the War Tour ended. TJT was released just 19 months after the band's last festival on TUF Tour. Zooropa was released during ZooTV. Passengers two years after that. Pop two years after that. :shrug:

U2 has released great albums during and not too long after tours. TUF was released just 9 months after the War Tour ended. TJT was released just 19 months after the band's last festival on TUF Tour. Zooropa was released during ZooTV. Passengers two years after that. Pop two years after that. :shrug:

so....?

I'm just trying to tell you that your theory that the band is "winding down" is complete bullshit based on what you have mentioned in support of this theory. :shrug:

Here's a possibility:

Maybe U2 wants to minimize the chance of the album leaking by giving fans a month to get hold of the album, versus the usual three? There are many positives to this "new" "Hey guys, our album is coming out next week: check it out!" style of marketing. In Rainbows didn't leak, I'm telling you that much.

This is another great point. Everyone now knows that every album leaks 2-4 weeks early with no exceptions besides In Rainbows (actually some leak earlier than 4 weeks ahead). In 2004 it was less of a big deal than it is now. A greater percentage of people are internet-savvy every year. There will be thousands and thousands of downloads weeks before it hits the shops (and I'll be right there torrenting). U2 has probably been thinking about how to avoid this for a long time...perhaps even before In Rainbows was released. The success of In Rainbows would only solidify this desire to find a way to protect the album. One obvious way to achieve this would be to somehow orchestrate a surprise CD release (or something close to that--maybe a week's notice). And doesn't it seem a bit odd that the Edge interview is so dated? Also, U2/Edge could have told them to print that bit about the album release being uncertain with full knowledge that it was BS. Obviously this is all pure speculation, but not really any less plausible than the rumors that they are suddenly unhappy with their output.

And if Radiohead can keep a secret from the world, it should be possible for U2.

Here's a possibility:

Interesting. :hmm:

U2's albums sort of need build up and momentum but I could see them taking this approach.

And if Radiohead can keep a secret from the world, it should be possible for U2.

Especially in conjunction with their more "hush-hush" approach this time around.

I still believe we will be receiving news on the single as soon as September 30, but if we don't, I won't start panicking either. At this point, there are several reasons why they're behind the HTDAAB schedule, and only a handful of reasons why a delay could be a possibility.

If there really is a delay to 2009, we will likely hear a confirmation (or sort-of confirmation) in the next 3-4 weeks anyway. So I think one way or another we'll know by the end of the month. If there is total quiet, then they may be up to something...

I'm still betting on 2008. Unless we have no info within the next couple weeks, especially with the RED and iPod events coming up. I definitely agree with everyone who says U2 is probably trying to surprise us more with this album. Bloc Party did a similar thing - they released Mercury as a single and said they were unsure if it would be on the album or not. Then a couple weeks later they announced the album. Three days later it was available for digital download. U2's much bigger than Bloc so I doubt they could keep something quite that secret, but as others said, Radiohead did a fine job of it. Of course, Radiohead didn't have a record label, so there's that.

Anyway, right now I just don't see a case for 2009 other than lack of information. Pretty much all the information we do have points to 2008. I'd say, wait and see what happens this month before you despair and assume 2009. If we hear nothing then I'll agree.

Well, he didn't have any when he joined the band...he just had passion and a pretty unique and decent voice. Has much really changed? You could hardly describe what he does as guitar-playing and he has taken a couple beginner's piano lessons this decade. He does play a mean harmonica. But come on, he's been in a band for 30 years. He probably is the most musically-challenged of anyone who could lay claim to that. Which is perhaps a good thing (after all, Johnny Greenwood refuses to let Thom Yorke learn how to read music...he thinks is will mess up his unique approach and abilities).

Bono actually has a terrific musical mind. It doesn't matter if he's playing any instument well or even if he can or can't sing well. He has musical ideas and as long as he can explain them to the others he contributes a great deal to the quality of the songs as a whole. (I'm not saying the others don't have ideas, this is only about Bono's.)

Bono and Edge have stated this many times in interviews and documentaries over the years and it even shows in the recently posted clips at U2.com when he shouts instructions.

I thought it was debatable who U2's best guitarist is? I mean have you guys heard Bono's G chord? It's pretty impressive. He hits, like, all of the strings.

I just hope, after reading almost all of this thread, that I don't have 20 email alerts tomorrow telling me "rumor has it!! U2 not happy with tracks, release scheduled for 2009" from "a reputable source" like a contactmusic person who has read this thread.
That happens you know. :huh:

I'm still betting on 2008. Unless we have no info within the next couple weeks, especially with the RED and iPod events coming up. I definitely agree with everyone who says U2 is probably trying to surprise us more with this album. Bloc Party did a similar thing - they released Mercury as a single and said they were unsure if it would be on the album or not. Then a couple weeks later they announced the album. Three days later it was available for digital download. U2's much bigger than Bloc so I doubt they could keep something quite that secret, but as others said, Radiohead did a fine job of it. Of course, Radiohead didn't have a record label, so there's that.

Anyway, right now I just don't see a case for 2009 other than lack of information. Pretty much all the information we do have points to 2008. I'd say, wait and see what happens this month before you despair and assume 2009. If we hear nothing then I'll agree.

Here's another clue that points to 2008, from the September 4, 2008 edition of Rolling Stone (page 16): "Retailers expect U2, Eminem and Beyonce for Thanksgiving week, though Eminem's label, Interscope, wouldn't confirm the release." This implies (to me) that U2's label WOULD confirm the release, and that we're looking at November 25, 2008 as release date. Any takers?

I just hope, after reading almost all of this thread, that I don't have 20 email alerts tomorrow telling me "rumor has it!! U2 not happy with tracks, release scheduled for 2009" from "a reputable source" like a contactmusic person who has read this thread.
That happens you know. :huh:

Personally, I think we should all just shut up and listen to Coldplay until U2 thinks we're mature enough to handle the new album.

Ignore my post above. This is worth commenting on.

Here's another clue that points to 2008, from the September 4, 2008 edition of Rolling Stone (page 16): "Retailers expect U2, Eminem and Beyonce for Thanksgiving week, though Eminem's label, Interscope, wouldn't confirm the release." This implies (to me) that U2's label WOULD confirm the release, and that we're looking at November 25, 2008 as release date. Any takers?

If true...

Fuck. Yes.

Bono actually has a terrific musical mind. It doesn't matter if he's playing any instument well or even if he can or can't sing well. He has musical ideas and as long as he can explain them to the others he contributes a great deal to the quality of the songs as a whole. (I'm not saying the others don't have ideas, this is only about Bono's.)

Bono and Edge have stated this many times in interviews and documentaries over the years and it even shows in the recently posted clips at U2.com when he shouts instructions.

Yeah, I actually agree--which is why I mentioned that part about Thom Yorke. Bono is especially good at "hearing" good ideas in his head and also being an excellent real-time critic for the band (instantly knowing when to follow a musical thread somewhere or dismissing something as not up to par, etc.).

This all started because I was making a semi-joke about Bono jamming on guitar and someone was arguing that because he was playing along with the song, it was evidence the song wasn't finished. Meaning that Bono was coming up with guitar parts on the spot to add to the mix at a later point. Not quite believable. At all.

I don't have this issue yet, which always pisses me off about RS. but U2 has an excellent relationship with the magazine and I've been subscribing since '04.
I would take this as truth. (I guess) it does make sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom