Odds of U2 winning any grammys if they are nominated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Many here and other sources (USA Today) feel that U2 have a good shot at the album of the year grammy this time around. I have my doubts. Why? The album has been out over a year, no big singles off the album this year, they won big at the awards last year, and they have already won an album of the year award (has anyone ever won it twice??).

But I am rooting for them of course! I think it's a good bet that Bob Dylan, Enya, maybe even Alicia Keyes. Anyone think of anyone else in the running??

Right now, I would say Enya might be the popular fave. What I can see happening is U2 winning best rock album instead of album of the year (ala Achtung Baby)

What are your thoughts??

I would have to say the likely noms for Album of the Year are U2, Dylan and Keys. Enya had the one big song, and I see that as a strong contender for Song of the Year next to Keys' "Fallin."

U2 has steadfastedly garnered so much adoration and attention this year with the album, tour and world crusading that they will be a critical favorite for Album next to Dylan. It's pretty much, to me, a toss-up between U2 and Dylan.

Anyone know when the noms are announced?

sharky, I agree with you about the voting. I think U2 has a very good shot. I also agree with everyone else that it is basically between U2 and Dylan. It is to bad the album was not eligible last year as it would have won in a landslide (Steely Dan????).

Here is something to ponder. Suppose U2 does win the Grammy. Then what if the new album to be released this coming summer is just as good (A strong possibility IMO). Then U2 will be eligible for another album of the year grammy the following year. Has anyone ever won back to back grammys for album of the year with two different albums? It is a longshot but you never know!

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 12-04-2001).]

Hey not so fast BlueRoom! I'm still waiting to see if anyone can answer my original question as to if anyone has ever won the album of the year category twice EVER, let alone back to back. I can pretty confidently say I don't think a back to back win has ever happened before, and I doubt it ever will.

I tend to agree with a lot of the statements about U2 having a good shot, I just have been let down a lot in the past.

One thing that definitely is going for U2 is that they have a strong ALBUM. Not just one huge song that everyone has heard a million times (ie. Keyes and Enya) While none of their singles after BD have been HUGE, they all have gotten some decent exposure and shown that the album is strong overall.

What worries me is the unknown. We think these are the contenders, but I am sure there will be a surprise thrown in there that could really shake things up.

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 12-04-2001).]

ok, sometimes you just have to do the legwork yourself. I went to Grammy.com and looked back to see if there has been anyone who has won Album of the Year more than once, and if so, back to back.

Guess what there is BOTH!

Paul Simon won in 1986, 1975, and 1970(with Garfunkle)

Stevie Wonder won in 1976, and back to back in 1973 and 1974!

Frank Sinatra won in 1959 and back to back in 1965 and 1966!

There you have it. It IS possible.

GO U2!!

Oh, and in case anyone is still holding any sort of grudge toward the Bon Jovi people -
U2 has won 10 grammys and Bon Jovi has won NONE
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 12-04-2001).]

Hey I dont hold a grudge against Bon Jovi (although I dont care for them, at least they make their owne music and play it live). It is their hypocritical tattle tell fans that piss me off!

You have to remember that the Grammy awards are not decided by a bunch of suits around a conference table, the winners decided by a Poll of 10,000 people who in some way work in the music industry. Voters can be artist, Engineers, producers, session musicians, record company executives, Accountents, Lawyers, managers etc.
U2 and Beautiful Day went down big with the 10,000 plus voters this past year. Its clear that U2 has strong support, and I do not think that will change this year. Right now, Dylan and Enya are the only challengers to U2.
A word of warning though. I believe the Nominees are selected by a small group of 20 people in each catagory. Then again, there are nearly 100 catagories so thats about 2,000 people. The winners in each catagory are selected by the 10,000 people in the acadamy.
I thought U2 were going to have it easy but Enya and Dylan have brought some more competition in. Enya's album has now sold over 5 million copies in the USA and is still in the top 10 selling close to 200,000 copies a week. But again, its the 10,000 voters of the acadamy that count.

HelloAngel>>>>>>I was just reading that article from USA Today and I believe they mentioned that the nominations for the grammys would be announced on Jan 3rd..I will double check it and post it here if this date is wrong..

I hope of course, that U2 walks away with a couple awards...*keeps fingers crossed*

Peace!

------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

I think its definitely a toss up between U2 and Dylan. As for no big singles-- remember that Steely Dan won last year. If anything, I think that may swing the Album of the Year in to U2's favor. The Grammy judges got burned last year by the press for giving album of the year to Steely Dan and they'll want to look like they're still hip and with it. So they'll have someone like Alicia Keys-- too young and new-- and Dylan-- very good but they don't want to look like they just give awards to old guys. So U2 is perfect. old but not Steely Dan old, young but not Alicia Keys young. They'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom