October(The Album) Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starvinmarvin said:

Actions speak louder than words, and you can think U2 loves October all you want to, but the fact remains that they never play any of the songs except Gloria. The reason for this is that OCTOBER IS LOUSY. Play any of it to anyone except diehard Intereference U2 fans, and you will get one of 2 responses - (1) What the fuck is that crap?, or (2) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......Seriously, many people on this board would by a recording of Bono taking a crap and call it a work of art. It isn't, and you can still be a fan if you admit that something is crap when it is crap.

BUT IT'S ONLY CRAP IN YOUR OPINION!

YOU THINK POP IS CRAP TOO!

And they are both better than HTDAAB...

in my bloody opinion!

namkcuR said:

BUT IT'S ONLY CRAP IN YOUR OPINION!

YOU THINK POP IS CRAP TOO!

And they are both better than HTDAAB...

in my bloody opinion!

Testy, are we? By the way, I don't think Pop is crap, although it is certainly overrated by you and many other Interferencers. Neither album is better than HTDAAB, and you know that. You don't have to exxaggerate the merits of less worthy U2 albums to prove that the band is great.

starvinmarvin said:

Testy, are we? By the way, I don't think Pop is crap, although it is certainly overrated by you and many other Interferencers. Neither album is better than HTDAAB, and you know that. You don't have to exxaggerate the merits of less worthy U2 albums to prove that the band is great.

You're doing it again, you are trying to enforce your opinion as fact. By doing so, you are being more pompus and self-righteous than any music could ever be.

I don't 'know' any such thing. I think HTDAAB is overall a subpar U2 record. I think October and Pop are, among others, both much better. I THINK. THINK THINK THINK. See? I'm not trying to force you to take my opinion as fact. See?

namkcuR said:

You're doing it again, you are trying to enforce your opinion as fact. By doing so, you are being more pompus and self-righteous than any music could ever be.

I don't 'know' any such thing. I think HTDAAB is overall a subpar U2 record. I think October and Pop are, among others, both much better. I THINK. THINK THINK THINK. See? I'm not trying to force you to take my opinion as fact. See?

If you "know" that you merely "think" that October is great, then why do you get so upset that I hold a different view of it? Obviously you hold some pretty striong opinions on the matter if you have bothered to respond to me so many times.

starvinmarvin said:

If you "know" that you merely "think" that October is great, then why do you get so upset that I hold a different view of it? Obviously you hold some pretty striong opinions on the matter if you have bothered to respond to me so many times.

Because you state every one of your opinions as fact and if someone disagrees with you, then in your eyes they are wrong. Don't try to deny it, every post you've made in this thread has reeked of stating opinion as fact. I don't care what opinion you have so long as you aren't blatently trying to make your opinion fact.

namkcuR said:

Because you state every one of your opinions as fact and if someone disagrees with you, then in your eyes they are wrong. Don't try to deny it, every post you've made in this thread has reeked of stating opinion as fact. I don't care what opinion you have so long as you aren't blatently trying to make your opinion fact.

I will state my opinion as fact, becuase it is what I believe to be true. I will always admit when I am wrong, but October is so clearly shit I won't do so in this case.

I think you're in denial about the fact that you state your opinions as fact also. I admit that I do this, and 90% of the people on this board do teh same thing, so how are you exempt from this?

starvinmarvin said:

I will state my opinion as fact, becuase it is what I believe to be true. I will always admit when I am wrong, but October is so clearly shit I won't do so in this case.

I think you're in denial about the fact that you state your opinions as fact also. I admit that I do this, and 90% of the people on this board do teh same thing, so how are you exempt from this?

But you do it more blatently than a lot of the others that do it(including, sometimes myself). Like, a few posts ago, you said something like 'neither record is better than HTDAAB' - now if you had stopped there, there wouldn't be a problem. Typical opinion-stated-as-fact, I would've passed it by, whatever. But you went on 'and you know that'. As if your opinion is the given fact and I know it's the fact and I know I'm just making up fake opinions for the hell of it. That's what gets me.

namkcuR said:

But you do it more blatently than a lot of the others that do it(including, sometimes myself). Like, a few posts ago, you said something like 'neither record is better than HTDAAB' - now if you had stopped there, there wouldn't be a problem. Typical opinion-stated-as-fact, I would've passed it by, whatever. But you went on 'and you know that'. As if your opinion is the given fact and I know it's the fact and I know I'm just making up fake opinions for the hell of it. That's what gets me.

If you don't like what I say, don't respond. It's as simple as that. You say that you don't like opinion stated as fact, but your dogmatic responses lead me to believe that you may be just as opinionated as I am, and that you are just as intolerant of other views. You seem to be less reasonable and your responses seem less measured than you would like to believe.

starvinmarvin said:

Neither album is better than HTDAAB, and you know that. You don't have to exxaggerate the merits of less worthy U2 albums to prove that the band is great.

I can't believe this shit! :lol:

I have to go with namkcuR on this one. He argues like a mofo but at least he hasn't stated his opinion as fact like you have done in the above quote.

Somebody may think Achtung is miles ahead of HTDAAB. Yet another person may believe the converse. Neither is right. It's all subjective!

S U B J E C T I V E !!!!! :scream:

Zootlesque said:

I can't believe this shit! :lol:

I have to go with namkcuR on this one. He argues like a mofo but at least he hasn't stated his opinion as fact like you have done in the above quote.

Somebody may think Achtung is miles ahead of HTDAAB. Yet another person may believe the converse. Neither is right. It's all subjective!

S U B J E C T I V E !!!!! :scream:

Thank you!

namkcuR said:

Thank you!

No problem, champ....but before you pat yourself on the back, please remember that you provoked the argument...maybe I was wrong to state my opinion as fact, but nobody forced you to react the way you did to my original statement.

Namckur is right, Adam did name October his favorite U2 album at one point.

[Adam's]PERSONAL FAVORITE:
U2 TRACK: "Bad"
U2 ALBUM: October
U2 GIG: Last gig of a tour -- every time

(source) Propaganda, Issue 3, August 01, 1986.

Guess Adam has to put his foot down a little harder for October songs to get played. ;)

Bono likes October, he just doesn't like his voice, cos he thinks he sounds like a girl at times. (This is in that Propaganda book)

This fan appreciates October it's my my #4 album.

Oh and bass solo :drool:

Those complaining about U2 being too polished, too commercial, on auto pilot should love this album.

Listen to the instrumentation, just after the lyrics on "Fire,"

"when I call out, there's a fire inside, when I'm falling over, I build a fire, I'm going home." Edge's guitar weaving out of Adam's bass, Larry hitting 'em hard.

Listen to Larry's drums on "With a Shout" or Adam's bass, just before the last chorus of

Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem

until the end of the song. (Not a full bass solo but close enough)

"Tomorrow" is a great song, I mean, U2 is an Irish based band, they should have at least one song that sounds traditionally "Irish," no?

"Scarlet" is really calming, the Edge, Adam and Larry playing softly.

Is the problem some people have with October really more of lyric problem, either Bono's spur of the moment lyrics, or his "in your face" Christian references?

Edge, Adam and Larry are making some good music on this one, not like it's only Bono and an anonymous back up band.

Last edited:
starvinmarvin said:

No problem, champ....but before you pat yourself on the back, please remember that you provoked the argument...maybe I was wrong to state my opinion as fact, but nobody forced you to react the way you did to my original statement.

Actually you did. Coming onto an OCTOBER APPRECIATION THREAD and calling the record shit wasn't the smartest move, mate. I'm not saying Interference should be debate-free, but I believe the word "appreciation" implies that you APPRECIATE the album. Which you obviously don't. So why are you here?

Bono said his favourite album was October at one point (musically anyway, like thrillme said he does not like his voice on it), but Bono says a lot of things, and his favourite album/song/everything changes about every two minutes.

I really wish U2 would bring back Fire... :drool:

thrillme said:
Namckur is right, Adam did name October his favorite U2 album at one point.

[Adam's]PERSONAL FAVORITE:
U2 TRACK: "Bad"
U2 ALBUM: October
U2 GIG: Last gig of a tour -- every time

(source) Propaganda, Issue 3, August 01, 1986.

Guess Adam has to put his foot down a little harder for October songs to get played. ;)

Bono likes October, he just doesn't like his voice, cos he thinks he sounds like a girl at times. (This is in that Propaganda book)

I've seen Adam quoted as liking October more than any other album many times, but I didn't realize he said so in 1986. That's a long time ago, people! So long ago, that I wonder if there is any validity in using the quote at all! 20 years is a long time ago, and I'm sure most of us would be emberassed by some of our favorite albums in the 1980's.

Oh, and Bono does sound like a girl on October.

starvinmarvin said:

It might have been marginally better, but it's still hard to polish a turd, especially one as stinky as October.

The fact that U2 has not played anything on October other than Gloria (and occassonially October, the song) with any regularity since the October tour speaks volumes about their opinion of October.

I wish I had seen this earlier, but please don't go into people's appreciation threads to bash the topic, start arguments, or call what they're appreciating a "stinky turd". This is clearly stated in the forum rules which you should really read.

In addition, if someone wishes to start a thread to appreciate a specific band or album, please be courteous and do not start a flame war or bash that band or album in that thread. If you dislike a band or album, you may start your own thread voicing your dislike for that band or album.

Since this thread was bumped, let's see if it can get back on track now. Thanks.

I was always under the impression that the band actually DIDN'T care for October as much as the other albums (Let me make this clear, what U2 thinks about an album is irrelevent to its overall quality..Don't accuse me of being an October-hater :wink: ) Isn't there a part of the Flannagan book where they say as much, and Bono at the RNR Hall of Fame induction said something to make me think it's not quite his favorite and I could have sworn there are other interviews that say similar things.

On another topic, people talk about the Christian rock element in October. It's definatley there (See the end of "Tomorrow") but I have to say, if I wasn't aware of it before I had listened to the album I don't think I would have noticed a lot of it...it actually seems kind of subtle, not a lot of obvious reverances to Jesus like I would have expected.

I really appreaciate October!
I'm not sure exactly where it sits on my favourite albums list, (mainly because I don't have one) but somewhere near the top.

I can't remember much about band quotes reguarding October, but I think in my propaganda book Bono says he prefers October to Boy, and that he's surprised at how complete(?) it sounds.

And in my Into The Heart book, (in which October comes off quite badly -- Niall Stokes obviously doesn't 'appreciate' October.) the only quote I can remember right now reguarding the bands opinion of the October songs is one by Bono saying that "There was something good about Fire, but I can't remember what it was."
And also that Fire was U2's attempt at a pop song.

I don't really care if the band likes October or not though. I'll still love it no matter what. :wink:

that's interesting lemonfix, that's really cool to know!
I'd known about October and it's christian theme before I heard it, so I guess I never had a chance to draw my own conclusions.
Which is a shame. I, for my own reasons, think very negatively of christianity in many ways, which certainly affects my opinion on this record.
It sucks when things like that happen, as there is no turning back once you've lost your innocense!!! :hmm:

To me this album seems REALLY blatant, far more so than JT, for example.
Yet the music is great. And when Bono sings about other subjects (tomorrow, stranger etc) it goes off.

Anyway.... cheers for your opinion, I'll see if I can listen to the album again with a smaller chip on my shoulder!!!

Lemonfix said:
On another topic, people talk about the Christian rock element in October. It's definatley there (See the end of "Tomorrow") but I have to say, if I wasn't aware of it before I had listened to the album I don't think I would have noticed a lot of it...it actually seems kind of subtle, not a lot of obvious reverances to Jesus like I would have expected.

I think the Christianity is very obvious. Singing to the Lord in Latin in Gloria. Rejoice is all about, well, rejoicing. October is extrememly blatant and powerful in just a couple lines. With a Shout and its references to Jerusalem. You already mentioned the end of Tomorrow. Scarlet once again talks about "rejoice".

Back
Top Bottom