Obscure/Barely recognisable U2 references

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meghan

Refugee
You know the type. Nobody except the hardcore fans would even consider them close to references, but there they are.

Here's a couple.

"Some (insert any noun)'s are better than others" = Instant, effortless U2 Reference for any situation.

Any time anybody counts to One (or higher).

Any time you see a Lemon/Fly etc.

Try it yourself, you can add U2 to any conversation! :happy:

One of my profs said "some days are better than others" last week, which made me grin.

Hmm, obscure U2 references... :hmm: Well I don't know if they're necessarily obscure, but these common, everyday expressions always make me smile.

"You too/two"
"It's a beautiful day today"
"It's not the end of the world"
"Did you find everything you're looking for?" ( :cute: Wal-Mart)
"ZOOROPA!"

(Okay, no one says that last one...but they should.)

In my english class we had a lesson about a guy who said:
"Some days i work till 7, some days till 3" etc
And i began singing

GibsonGirl said:
One of my profs said "some days are better than others" last week, which made me grin.

Hmm, obscure U2 references... :hmm: Well I don't know if they're necessarily obscure, but these common, everyday expressions always make me smile.

"You too/two"
"It's a beautiful day today"
"It's not the end of the world"
"ZOOROPA!"

(Okay, no one says that last one...but they should.)

are you kidding, every time someone I know utters an advertising slogan without really thinking, I mutter that exact phrase at them (often followed by the sort of look you get when you ask someone to explain what a sudden custard shortage would do to the norweigan economy).
It also works whenever anyone mentions being on a Slim-Fast-esque diet, when you utter 'eating to get slimmer?' and shake your head.

GibsonGirl said:

No, I didn't find any Boo Berry cereal :grumpy:

anytime anyone says "It's cold outside" I [attempt to] resist the urge to sing "BUT BRIGHTLY LIT, SKIP THE SUBWAY, LET'S GO TO THE OVERGROUND!!" Usually I do it anyway. Sometimes I even switch it up and go "It gets so hot in here!" :wink: and of course anytime someone says "It's a beautiful day."

Man one time my friend gave her boyfriend a lemon and I was like OMG. But I didn't say or sing anything.

Whenever we talked about moles in chemistry class I thought about Elevation. Then one time my chemistry teacher divided us into groups A and 1 (so everyone would feel equal) and I was like "You should have done U and 2...you know...U2" and he was like "U2? That's my favourite band!" and I was like "I LOVE YOU" and then he let me borrow Under a Blood Red Sky :cute:

^ Awesome!
My Psych teahcer made a U2 reference at a whole school assembly once (something like, "When you're doing your exams, I'm afraid you won't be able to have your iPods on even if U2 helps you concentrate..."), and looked straight at me as he said it. Then of coarse all my friends looked at me, cos they know about my obsession too.
And another time in psych class someone said it was a beautiful day. I kinda sat there going *:silent: Don't say it don't say it...*, but then my psych teacher said it for me.

Btw, I thought of Elevation when we did moles too.
Chem teacher: Today we're learning about moles.
Meghan: A MOLE!!! DIGGING IN A HOLE!! (Like that crazy guy on the slane dvd)
Everyone else: :rolleyes:

Same sort of thing happened whe we did Elevation and Decline in Maths, except it wasn't just me. Half the class went "WOOOooo... WOOOOoooHOO -- EL-E-VA-TION!"

Meghan said:
^ Awesome!
My Psych teahcer made a U2 reference at a whole school assembly once (something like, "When you're doing your exams, I'm afraid you won't be able to have your iPods on even if U2 helps you concentrate..."), and looked straight at me as he said it. Then of coarse all my friends looked at me, cos they know about my obsession too.
And another time in psych class someone said it was a beautiful day. I kinda sat there going *:silent: Don't say it don't say it...*, but then my psych teacher said it for me.

Btw, I thought of Elevation when we did moles too.
Chem teacher: Today we're learning about moles.
Meghan: A MOLE!!! DIGGING IN A HOLE!! (Like that crazy guy on the slane dvd)
Everyone else: :rolleyes:

Same sort of thing happened whe we did Elevation and Decline in Maths, except it wasn't just me. Half the class went "WOOOooo... WOOOOoooHOO -- EL-E-VA-TION!"

Hahahaha, that's awesome. In Chem class sometimes my two friends and I would just bust out into "WOOOOOOOOWOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!" right in the middle of class, which made everyone kinda go :eyebrow: but eventually they got used to it :wink:

but U2 does help me concentrate... I listen to my U2 iPod all the time even though I'm not supposed to :shifty:

AtomicBono said:
Whenever we talked about moles in chemistry class I thought about Elevation.

whoa, I just unlocked a memory!! During my junior year of high school, we had a "mole day" in chem class, where we had to design and make a stuffed mole and put it on display to be judged by the school... Mine was "Larry MOLE-en Jr." ... he was perched behind a drumkit, drumsticks in hand ... I greatly enjoyed explaining who :larry: was to all of my uninformed classmates.

I sometimes think of U2 when I'm walking around barefoot... like, how I should be dancing :dance:

i am known for waking up and snapping my head around during class wondering who said "you too". Or when a girl is flirting with me :wink: and goes "I love you TIM!", I'd go...I LOVE U2!!! you're okay too by the way...lol it's frigging hilarious

Conversation tonight between myself and a fellow fan:

Her: I think this upload died.
Me: Did you try hitting it with a stick? (That's my solution to everything)
Her: Not yet.
Me: I hit things with sticks all the time. It usually doesn't help.
Me: But it's fun.
Me: Oh my God, I sound like Larry.
Her: Hahaha!

Pero said:
My schoolfriend wore today a number 7 shirt

In high school circa 2001, I had about a hundred numbered t-shirts. And everyone knew why. :reject:

In one of my classes, the teacher gave us a list of commercial slogans and asked us to match the company with the slogan. The second one was "Fly the friendly skies." and I couldn't think of what the answer was because my brain kept on saying Zooropa.

AtomicBono said:

Whenever we talked about moles in chemistry class I thought about Elevation.

Hey, we're doing moles right now in Chemistry!!! Now, all I will think of is U2 and Elevation!

AtomicBono said:

Hahahaha, that's awesome. In Chem class sometimes my two friends and I would just bust out into "WOOOOOOOOWOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!" right in the middle of class, which made everyone kinda go :eyebrow: but eventually they got used to it :wink:

See, your chemistry class was cool. In my high school chem class, people would randomly yell out "MOLEY MOLEY MOLEY!" like Austin Powers in Goldmember. And there was that one girl who would excitedly shout "MILLIMOLE!" in an Indian accent whenever she saw the symbol mmol. No one really knew why she did it.

I do remember being incredibly amused in Grade 9 social studies class when we started talking about elevation in terms of cartography. :hmm: In fact, if I remember correctly, I wrote the lyrics to the song in the side margins of my text book. I must see if I still have that book! I wrote the lyrics to New Year's Day in the front jacket and got them all wrong.

I've experienced all the typical correlations with people, but more commonly I'll enter a situation and think of a U2 song.

"Vertigo" when I'm in a nightclub or bar...

"Beautiful Day" whenever I'm driving in heavy traffic. sitting at a gridlocked intersection.

"So Cruel" whenever I see friends hurt by significant others.

"Kite" at funerals

"Wild Honey" when jogging through the park.

When I was getting dressed this morning, I noticed the coathanger my shirt was on had the word PAPAYA on it.

Reminded me of the U2 bootleg of the same name.

I was sitting in my friend's kitchen (she doesn't know anything about U2) and I noticed that on the jug of lemonade, were, surprise surprise, lemons, (with the writing LEMON) and as I was giggling by myself a FLY landed on the table. I said to my friend "oh look, that's bono" and she had no idea what I was talking about. I said nevermind.....

Almost everything related to travelling makes me think of ATYCLB and the suitcase-logo..

And of course there are U2 lyrics for every situation imaginable.

Back
Top Bottom