O Brother Where Art Thou=ATYCLB??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
According to the RIAA, O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack has recently been certified 3times platinum which is equal to ATYCLB. I enjoyed the movie and a couple of songs but I have never heard any songs from the soundtrack on the radio nor seen any videos. How does this cd sell an equal number to ATYCLB? WOW! How can that be? Matchbox Twenty's first cd has sold 12 million copies. There is no accounting for taste! Sheesh!

------------------
You give it all but I want more

'Man of Constant Sorrow" was HUGE hit on country radio and country music channels. The album won the album of the year at the CMA's.

I'd say that the strength of that single is the main reason the album sold so well.

Here in Oklahoma, that song got tons of play

Two underestimated factors in this one.

1. There are tons of country music fans in middle america.

2. Album soundtracks always have an extra push becuase of the simple fact of exposure that is associated with a major motion picture.

The success of this soundtrack = the following. It helps that this album has (1) a movie to push it, (2) country music fans -there are more country music fans then you know, and 3) it is one of the most critically acclaimed albums over the past year.

I'm really interested in getting it too, to boot.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Well, for the record, I have both these albums, and I love them both. And I really liked the movie.

It's also worth pointing out that not all the tracks on the album (or in the movie) are strictly country. There's a lot of bluegrass, gospel (sort of a folkie gospel, but still), and folk, too. But it would certainly get the most airplay on a country-type station (radio and video, like CMT) rather than a mainstream one.

Flying Fu, you're right across town from me.

Originally posted by ultraviolet299:
I really disliked that movie.

ultraviolet299-

i was curious why you disliked the movie?

------------------
~ME THREE

BUY THIS ALBUM!

I abhor country in general, but to call O Brother Where Art Thou? country is a severe disservice to the music, which is soulful, poignant, and sincere, nothing at all like contemporary pop-country crap on the radio. These songs are TRUE country, and as such remind you more of the blues than the watered-down "country" you hear nowadays.

Seriously, it's one of my favorites.

P.S. The movie is adorable, and gets funnier with every viewing. It's better than Fargo IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Auxtung Beibi (edited 12-04-2001).]

Originally posted by Sassafras:
Well, for the record, I have both these albums, and I love them both. And I really liked the movie.

It's also worth pointing out that not all the tracks on the album (or in the movie) are strictly country. There's a lot of bluegrass, gospel (sort of a folkie gospel, but still), and folk, too. But it would certainly get the most airplay on a country-type station (radio and video, like CMT) rather than a mainstream one.

Flying Fu, you're right across town from me.

Back
Top Bottom