Now that the dust has settled: thought & comments about last nights show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezebel

War Child
Please fell free to add your own.

1. John Stewart was truly terrible. The only comic relief was Ray Romano & Edge. Wait, wasn't that true of last year's show?

2. This was the worst Grammy show overall I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them.

3. Good parts: Walk On (of course); Nelly Furtado & Steve Vai; O Brother tribute (no apologies); Joshua Bell.

4. Truly awful parts: John Stewart's opening monologue; N'Sync & Nelly; Lady Marmalade (again????); Outkast (what the hell is Dre supposed to be??); and Michael Green's rant on downloading music. Blehh.

5. Thank you Interference, for being here. I enjoyed myself much more here on the board last night. Next year I'll just skip the broadcast and stay on the board!

Here are my thoughts:

1.Sheryl Crow..... what was her stylist thinking???????????

2. Britney actually looked demur, not like a trashy piece of jailbait

3. India was Robbed big time by overrated Alicia

4. ATYCLB should have won, but oh well, it's the best album of the year in my eyes.

5. I think Jon's security bit was overdone.... I love him on the Daily Show, but he certainly didn't shine tonite.

6. Michael Greene whimping over the loss of his, um,er, the artists profits truely a waste of air time. Just goes to show how archiac they still are.

7. Bob Dylan's performance was an embarrassment to him and his fans. His voice sounded horrible.

8. Lady Marmalade would have sounded better if they left out Christina, Little Kim, Pink and Mya.

9. Oh Yeah, I loved it when Bono pushed Edge out of the way. Poor guy, he'll need that trip to the spa
smile.gif

10. Mary J.'s performance absolutely mind blowing.... I am now a fan.

11. Walk On, the best performance of the night (okay so I'm baised). But Bono and the boys sounded better than at the SB. Bono gave his chords a chance to rest.

------------------
Daisy

and you become the monster
so the monster will not break you

Bonobono is a gentle boy

1. Ray Romano is hilarious.

2. I had been excited for Jon Stewart to be the host, but his jokes sucked big time.

3. Edge getting the spa pass had me crackin' up (which I suppose goes with #1).

4. Bono pushin' Edge had me crackin' up.

5. I think Britney Spears looked absolutely beautiful...very classy.

6. The "Lady Marmalade" girls looked horrible in those outfits (Pink...your hair...your make up...wtf?!?!?!?). Patti Labelle looked nice though.

7. Nelly Furtado is beautiful and a sweetheart...she seems very genuine.

8. I liked Alicia Keys outfit, and I did enjoy her dancing.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

I haven't seen the whole show yet, I was stuck (no, not in a moment) at work and missed the first 1 1/2 hours. But I did tape it. I watched "walk on" today and it gave me chills. They output so much energy, even though it's just on TV you almost actually feel like you're there. I loved it...absolutly loved it..and how cool that they opened the show with that..that was totally awesome..I could go see them in concert every day and never get bored with it...

1. I think I was the only one that laughed at Jon Stewart's jokes. But that may be because he reminds me SO much of a friend of mine and that cracked me up.

2. Those marmalade people were truly horrifying. Prancing about the stage in their slutty underwear? ok yeah. Art indeed.

3. Alicia Keys is annoying. And she needs to tone down on the glittery eye makeup. I'm surprised she could open her eyes.

4. Bono and Edge jostling at the microphone was the best part of the night.

5. Mary J. Blige almost convinced me that not all R&B sucks by default. Almost.

6. Turning down the TV volume while Outkast performed and playing Desire over the jukebox was one of the highlights of my Grammy party night.

7. That lame speech about music file sharing really sounds like the death knell for recording execs. They are going to die a painful death at the hands of a new paradigm shift in the market and they're too stupid to see it. Talk about a waste of advertising dollars...

8. The old guy that sang "Oh Death..." was freaky-cool.

9. It's a beautiful night for music when the BSB and N'Sync don't come to the stage to win a single award.

10. Having U2 on the front row meant LOTS of random shots of them.

11. Nelly Furtado annoyed me on the radio. She's even worse live. The guitar guy with her was good tho.

12. Michael W. Smith is still around??? Major flashback there.

13. Adam should give more of U2's acceptance speeches. Damn, that man could read the phone book and make it sound classy!

14. U2's performance of Walk On was THE highlight of the show. Once again, I am reminded of how much I love this band. The Goal Is Soul.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

4. Bono and Edge jostling at the microphone was the best part of the night.

True!

5. Mary J. Blige almost convinced me that not all R&B sucks by default. Almost.

I missed this!

6. Turning down the TV volume while Outkast performed and playing Desire over the jukebox was one of the highlights of my Grammy party night.

very smart idea

8. The old guy that sang "Oh Death..." was freaky-cool.

That was Ralph Stanley.

9. It's a beautiful night for music when the BSB and N'Sync don't come to the stage to win a single award.

Another truism.

13. Adam should give more of U2's acceptance speeches. Damn, that man could read the phone book and make it sound classy!

Wasn't he great? He's so posh
biggrin.gif

14. U2's performance of Walk On was THE highlight of the show. Once again, I am reminded of how much I love this band. The Goal Is Soul.

Agreed

Oh and Jon Stewart's best moment was this joke:
When Afghanistan was liberated, one of the first things that happened was that music was played on the streets and three days later, even they were sick of Creed

sulawesigirl4 first...sooo agree with ya ! I'm a Creed fan and even I was laughing my arse off at that joke! Best one he ever came up with!
ok my thoughts.
Fist one ofcourse... OH MY GOD!! Did you guys see Ali???!? she looked soooooo BEAUTIFUL!! Bono is a VERY lucky man to have her in his life..hell even I was jealous lmfao
2. I'm thankful Bono stopped Edge in time from repeating last years speach! LOL "He's the guitarist...I talk I'm the singer" Ali had a smile like 'yea he's arragont just like the rest of them but he's my husband and i love him.
3. *drool* ADAM SPOKE! He got to talk and thank ppl! wow. He looked so CUTE when he started giggling when Bono shut Edge up.
4. Larry looked so SEXY w/that shirt. I could see him making comments on the side that must have been really good 'coz he had everyone laughing
5. Oh Oh and when U2 won the FIRST award for the nite...Adam had a look on his face like 'U2 won...hey wait...I'm in that band... that means we won....we're U2' lol
I think that had to be the best part to start off a 3 1/2 hour show.
most of all I am soooo thankful that man invented the MUTE button for remotes 'coz when those "musicians" that came up to sing I could just mute their arse and sweet sweet silence 'til they showed U2 again.
ok i'm done.

------------------
Fear not...for I'll be watching you.

I didn't get a chance to go online last night so I didn't ever get to comment. All I can say is I am very, very sad about losing Album of the Year.
frown.gif
I am glad they got 4 awards however. AND I woke up to find out I missed the Best Rock Album and I went to bed thinking they had 3!
biggrin.gif
So that was a nice surprise. Anyway, my comments.

1: Alicia Keys needs to work on not having such an ego.
2: Her music ain't all great either.
3: Sorry, I had been happy for it all this time, thinking,"Oh that's nice, O Brother had some nice songs, I'm glad it's doing well" and then I am pissed.
4: Bono looked NIIIIICE
5: I laughed SO hard at the spa certificate and Edge's happiness over it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

6: So nice to hear Adam talk! I can't think how long it's been since he's talked
7: Poor India. I feel so bad for her -- she must be upset.
frown.gif
I can't believe she didn't win one single award.
8: Walk On was GREAT
9: I am so happy they got 7 awards for that album.. but really, I mean, if you just asked a random person on the street 1 week ago if an album which won 7 Grammys would win Album of the Year, they would have said yes.
10: I am SO GLAD they got Record of the Year. Stupid Alicia didn't get it.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

1) Mary J. Blige was the best performance. I went over to my friend's house after I saw the performance and borrowed her "No More Drama CD. Sorry, Michael Greene, but I AM going to burn it
smile.gif

2)Jon Stewart didn't really tell jokes. He acted like he didn't prepare ANY material, which led to him resorting to comments like "How about Alicia Keyes? Isn't she incredible?" I swear he said that line about 6 or 7 times! What tha F***?

3)When O' Brother Where Are't Thou won best album I was shocked. I was very disappointed, considering U2 was the sure thing, so to speak. After I cooled down, I realized that it IS a good album. I think it's the first country style album to EVER win Album of the Year, which means it was a longtime coming. Too bad U2 was up against it.

4) Too long. They could have reduced the number of performances, because a few of them weren't necessary. Case in point: Lady Marmalade, Dave Matthews Band, and Alicia Keyes were predictably bland and could have been altered rather than cut from the lineup, but you get my point.

5) Best Speech....ummmm. I can't think of any. Even Bono sounded like he was simply reiterating what he's said time and time again.

6) I agree that it was the worst Grammy telecast I've ever seen. Only thing is, I have only seen 3 or 4.

The thing with Edge getting the spa pass was hilarious, the funniest moment. I could see Larry laughing really hard too.

Walk On was of course the best performance. I wish they had won Best Album but it was great to see that song take Record of the Year. Four songs from that album have won Grammies now--and I didn't realize till this morning that they also won Best Rock Album!

It was cool to see my classmate Nelly Furtado (I'm so sorry, forgive the shameless name dropping!) perform with Steve Vai and win an award. I'm not a huge fan of her music and didn't know her terribly well, but she's talented and a nice person and it was just neat.

What was it Bono said in one of his acceptance speeches about being with the same people for over twenty years? (It'll be thirty sooner than we know!!) I think it comes down to that. It is so great to see such an amazing band still together after so long, making great music, all friends. I think they've stayed together longer with the same members than any other major group in rock history. They looked so happy all being up there together (except maybe Larry who always looks a bit uncomfortable with these things--but for a guy who doesn't like the limelight, he's certainly partial to leaving his shirt half unbuttoned--he must know that will get attention!
biggrin.gif
)

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I didn't have too many exciting moments watching the grammies this time but I tried:

1. Walk on performance (couldn't wait for the halleujah line)
2. Bono/Edge scuffle
3. The man talking about dling music off the internet, dude probably has more MP3's than those three kids.
4. Mary J, LOOOOVEE THAT GAL!!!
5. Alicia Keys's dancing made my mouth drop wide open! *that guy was gorgeous too*
6. I somewhat enjoyed the Moulin rogue duet- I'm a big Pink fan so of course...
7. U2 being caught on camera in the front row more than any other artists.
8.Train's performance, must get that CD now.
9. Ray Ramano getting thrown, lol
10. Bono kissing India.Arie's lovely hand and giving her much respect she deserves.

------------------
I will sing, sing a new song.
How long to sing this song?

Fengche@aol.com

Pink = Bridget Neilson wannabe?

I didn't see much (reason in Zoo Confessionals), but those Marmalade Bitches got TOTALLY blown away by Patti Labelle (spl).

Hysterical.

My g/f was like "They've got pretty good voices", I kinda raise an eyebrow at her and say "not really, no" ... then Patti come up throw the floor thingie, and I say "Listen and compare"... after 30 seconds she says "oh yeah"... with a wry smile.
smile.gif
- then I say "10x better with 10% of the effort".

If I was one of those 4 dumb sluts, I'd be embarrased. All that effort at screaming, only to sound so bad, then have someone walk up and totally make you look shit.

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
Pink = Bridget Neilson wannabe?

I didn't see much (reason in Zoo Confessionals), but those Marmalade Bitches got TOTALLY blown away by Patti Labelle (spl).

Hysterical.

My g/f was like "They've got pretty good voices", I kinda raise an eyebrow at her and say "not really, no" ... then Patti come up throw the floor thingie, and I say "Listen and compare"... after 30 seconds she says "oh yeah"... with a wry smile.
smile.gif
- then I say "10x better with 10% of the effort".

If I was one of those 4 dumb sluts, I'd be embarrased. All that effort at screaming, only to sound so bad, then have someone walk up and totally make you look shit.

Watch it buddy, Pink is a good singer. Patti didn't sound that great herself, I'm sorry my dad has her records and that lil scream she did sounded terribly off and unexpected.
smile.gif

(1) Walk On was great but I wish they had the choir more up front... it looked weird with them in the audience. I also think "Walk On" shouldn't have opened. The camera work on the band was great but it seemed like there was technical difficulties for the band's intro to the song. I blame the show. It was cool to see U2 standing up and applausing for Bob Dylan. I liked the playfulness between Kid Rock and U2/ Bono.

(2) Wow, Tony Bennett and Billy Joel were great. Billy Joel... yeesh he got bald and fat big time... almost unrecognizable...

(3) I was thinking how weird it would be if U2 won the award that Train did and had to greet Don Henley...

(4) Train was just aiite.

(5) N'sync with Nelly was disappointing... lip synching it seemed was their (N'sync) thing even though they put up a great intro of "Gone." I'd rather have seen them singing that song and didn't care for Nelly being in that "Girlfriend" song. "Gone" was really that good. Too bad they screwed up IMO.

(6) Allison Krauss is awesome!
smile.gif

I know Emmylou Harris is awesome. Don't know Gillian Welch but loved their collaboration on the soundtrack and on the show. Soggy Bottom Boys were good for what they are and the guitar work was great.

(7) Alicia Keys... good performance but the part where they're yelling out "remix" was stoopid.

(8) Lady Marmalade... Don't care for it and getting sick of hearing it, but they made a decent performance... at least sounded different. A lot of cleavage for sure.

(9) Dave Matthews... I think "Space..." is just an average song with a great chorus/ backing keyboard part. It was just a solid performance IMO. Great atmosphere.

(10) Bob Dylan... his voice cracks me up but it was a fine performance though I couldn't understand a thing he was saying. I haven't listened to Love and Theft but that song he played was great. Reminded me of Busta Rhymes and the tempo changes and "junk" style noise form the guitars was awesome.

(11) Beyonce Knowles is hot and it was a cool duet with that Sanz (?) and Destiny's Child.

(12) Mary J. Blige looked like she was at church. Heh. Crazy wild performance and I don't really like that song as much but she made it good.

(13) Could do without the speech on downloading music... LOL at the students used for their "research." They could have put that time for better use like allowing the speakers to finish their speeches and doing some proper tributes. The speech also took away fromt the Lifetime Achievements portion.

(14) Outkast was cool and the kid was cute. Defintely brought something different to the Awards. Ms. Jackson is all good and they looked dang serious though. Weird...

(13) Nelly Furtado and Stevie Vai was what I was so looking forward to. "I'm Like a Bird" is a great pop song. Though I love the extra vocal flourishes of produced song... this low key version with Vai on guitar was cool. Defintely super cool highlight. Furtado is a cutey and a dork. Great combo. Virtuosos are always cool.

(14) Alan Jackson... nice country song and well meaninged... but I feel a little 9-11'ed out and it's somewhat too schmaltzy for my tastes (lyrically that is)

(15) India Arie's performance gave me chills... It was top 3 of the night. Too bad she didn't win a Grammy.

(16) The close was cool with McKnight, Green, etc. Nice closer.

My major complaints... I hated how several artists weren't aloowed to finish their thank yous. That music to kick them off was stinking annoying. It was also stinking annoying that when they announced the artists for nominations, they didn't always highlight the artist.

Stewart was aiite but I thought he was way funnier last year. However presiding over an awards show is difficult. Also b/c the emphais of the music in the show seemed to be roots related or mellow rock, it sort of made the show too mellow. Where is the rock! I'm not a fan of Linkin Park but it would have been fun to see them there or to see some more rap... I mean if Walk On which is medium range song has the most power in it then there is something wrong there. Oh well.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 02-28-2002).]

I don't know what it is about female musicians and performers, but I can't believe I saw so many sexy, cute, and attractive women at the show!

Pink: Bizarre hairdo and make-up, but hot!

Christina Aguiliera: Tan, clevage, and mature. Damn, woman!

Pamela Anderson, Tan, clevage and dumb. Damn woman!

Alison Krauss: There's something about her. I dont' know what it is, but she looks and acts so adorable. Mamma mia!

Emmilou Harris: She proves that women can go grey and STILL be incredible looking.

Trisha Yearwood: Buxom blonde with grace. I'm drooling, by the way
smile.gif

Britney Spears: Classy and elegant. Very cute as well. She has so much potential.

Nelly Furtado: Wouldn't she be the perfect girlfriend? She's cute, has a down to earth personality, and oh yeah....she's HOT!

India Aire, Mary J. Blige, Beyonce Knowles, Kelly and Michelle of Destiny's Child:---Can I just say that I've never realized how attracted I am to black women. What I wouldn't give to be alone with any one of those girls.

Diane Krall: Did someone say 'conversative' and 'sexy'? Yes THEY DID, and they named it Diane Krall.

Gwen Stefani: need I explain?

Alison Stewart: Bono is one lucky dude.

Am I leaving anyone out? Oh yeah, Alicia Keyes! Unfortunately I meant to leave her out of this list. I don't really find her that attractive. Oh well...

Heres a thought, I think the band Lifehouse was sorely overlooked for maybe 'best new artist' or at least should have received a nomination for rock or song award. If they had of beat U2 instead of Train or Alicia Keys, at least I could say they deserved it. Just my opinion, I like Lifehouse but with them in there there would probably be complaints about race or something like that.

Back to U2, their performance was out of sight intense and rock passion unrestrained. Did you see the facial expressions of Bono, the emotions pouring out of him, he looked almost choked up at one point "home, hard to know what it is if you ever had one" which immediately followed Edges ringing solo that filled the room and stirred the soul. And Bono's *angrily* pulling away from the mic (after "home...that s where the heart is") and rousing his own guitar while lunging into the chorus.

The 'hallelujah's' were heavenly, the choir a nice touch to accent the record of the year. Honestly, I haven't heard Bono's voice echo like that in a long time, the hallelujahs and walk ons he sang rang the same bells in my head as the RTSS performance from Zoo-Sydney. Edge was getting into the act and the sound was all his-classic. Adam and Larry were great too, of course, and as usual they didn't get enough camera time for some (PLEBA), but they were as vital as the sum of the parts
cool.gif

After watching that performance again, it should sell some records alone no matter how many fucking grammys they won. Nothing else even bothered to come close.

Mary J. did put on one hell of a performance too, I respect her more now after that.

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
I didn't get a chance to go online last night so I didn't ever get to comment. All I can say is I am very, very sad about losing Album of the Year.
frown.gif
I am glad they got 4 awards however.

1: Alicia Keys needs to work on not having such an ego.
2: Her music ain't all great either.
3: Sorry, I had been happy for it all this time, thinking,"Oh that's nice, O Brother had some nice songs, I'm glad it's doing well" and then I am pissed.
4: Bono looked NIIIIICE
5: I laughed SO hard at the spa certificate and Edge's happiness over it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

6: So nice to hear Adam talk! I can't think how long it's been since he's talked
7: Poor India. I feel so bad for her -- she must be upset.
frown.gif
I can't believe she didn't win one single award.
8: Walk On was GREAT
9: I am so happy they got 7 awards for that album.. but really, I mean, if you just asked a random person on the street 1 week ago if an album which won 7 Grammys would win Album of the Year, they would have said yes.
10: I am SO GLAD they got Record of the Year. Stupid Alicia didn't get it.

Agreed.

Well all except the O Brother part. Yes it was good, for what it was. It won best soundtrack and that was good enough. I think album of the year should speak for the YEAR, which ATYCLB certainly did! It was big in 2001 as was the tour! The songs spoke of 9/11 and things the band had gone through.

O Brother was a remake of old 30's music. Sorry that is not relevant, no matter how well performed to be the 2001 album of the year.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 02-28-2002).]

Was thrilled that U2 did the opening number.
I think that Ray Romano would of done a better job of hosting.
Edge getting the spa pass was hilarious. I think he was surprised.
Britney looked more classy, then trashy.
The worst dressed were The Dixie Chicks.
Thought it was great to hear Edge and Adam speak.
And I thought the show would never end. Three and a half hours long.

That "Lady Smarmy" bit was the worst piece of shit ive seen in a long time. What were they shrieking about??? The only word i recognized was "poo-poo"!!! BARF!!!!
Alicia Keyes was one of the most ungrateful winners ive seen in awhile. AShe didnt appear to give a rats ass that she one. She looked so bored, and not in th least surprised.
mad.gif

Michale Green WAS an embarrassment. Big time! But what else would you expect?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 02-28-2002).]

WAIT!!! The BIGGEST upset of the night was Sade not getting the only award she was nominated for in GOD knows how long its been!!! Has anyone listened to Lover's rock, is the album not more than enough for a come back??? Sheesh, I hate the grammies now...

Originally posted by PrincessBadgirl:
WAIT!!! The BIGGEST upset of the night was Sade not getting the only award she was nominated for in GOD knows how long its been!!! Has anyone listened to Lover's rock, is the album not more than enough for a come back??? Sheesh, I hate the grammies now...

do not despair, princess, as Sade did indeed win for best pop album, which I thought was very cool
biggrin.gif

My thoughts....

1. GREAT performance of Walk On - still my fav cut from the album

2. Jon Stewart did suck. Billy Crystal or no please

3. Agree about Brittany Spears. While the hair was a little too big, I thought that, for a change, she looked "pretty."

4. The girl that danced with the N'SYNC lead singer during that debacle with NELLY was HOTTTTT.

5. Keys is overrated, but I thought her performance was pretty good.

6. Even though I'm U2 all the way to grave, I think Dave Matthews should have won best rock song over Elevation. We lucked up there, got jobbed on Album of the Year.

7. Emmylou Harris can sing!

8. Mary J. Blidge can too!!

9. Happy Nelly Furtado and Coldplay bagged something

10. Bob Dylan is an embarrassment to himself and his past, and has been for several years now. No more performances PLEASE!!

11. Overall, 4 out of 8 ain't too bad. And though I hate to admit it, sometimes even I wish Bono would shut up.
smile.gif

My thoughts:

1. Walk On was amazing- I especially loved the choir singing the Hallelujahs, and Bono's voice was excellent.

2. It was great that U2 was sitting in the first row so there could be lots of camera shots of them. Plus, Edge was able to get the spa treatment from Ray Romano.

3. I'm a big fan of Jon Stewart and the Daily Show, but I must admit that he's not a very good Grammy host. I don't know if he writes the material or if it's the responsibility of other people, but it wasn't that great. I did love the Creed joke, though!

4. I thought Mary J. Blige's performance was very impressive, and I'm not a big hip hop / R&B fan.

5. "I'm Like a Bird" did get on my nerves back when it was played all the time, but I really enjoyed Nelly Furtado's performance. I'm glad she won an award. I think she was definitely the best dressed female.

6. Speaking of fashion, Sheryl Crow's outfit looked like something Christina Aguilera would wear (and that's not a compliment).

7. I felt bad for India Arie. She should've won at least one award after being nominated in so many categories.

8. Do the winners know that they're going to win in advance? It seemed like some winners weren't suprised, and U2 definitely seemed to know they were going to win Record of the Year. They goofed off to an extent during their first 3 acceptance speeches, but when it was time to accept ROTY they actually thanked specific people and were more together (well, besides Bono's ramblings
wink.gif
). Also, it was strange that U2 was backstage with India Arie when the nominees were being read. It seemed like they knew they were going to win and had been told to go backstage in preparation. Very bizarre- it kind of spoiled the award.

[This message has been edited by Giant Lemon (edited 02-28-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom