Now a Melbourne DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
(11-20-2006) U2 at Corner Hotel (to film WITS video) - The Herald Sun*
U2 at Corner Hotel

By Cameron Adams

ROCK royalty came to the streets of Richmond yesterday when U2 filmed a music video at the Corner Hotel.

U2 filmed scenes for Window in the Skies with 300 extras at the pub. The song will be the next release from their new compilation 18 Singles.

Bono talked with fans before entering the venue, coming straight from a meeting with Treasurer Peter Costello.

The extras all signed confidentiality clauses.

Scenes were shot inside the bandroom and on the rooftop beer garden.

It's not the first time the Corner has hosted a rock great -- Mick Jagger played a secret solo show at the venue in 1988.

U2 head to New Zealand tomorrow, before gigs in Japan and Hawaii that finish their rescheduled world tour.

The band played to more than 350,000 people during their Australian tour this month, which ended in Melbourne on Sunday.

U2 also filmed footage at their Melbourne concert on Saturday, which is expected to be used on a DVD.

Meanwhile, U2 are beating their heroes the Beatles in record stores this week.

U2's 18 Singles is flying out of record stores.

The record sold more than 10,000 copies nationally on its first day of release on Saturday, with more than 100,000 copies shipped to record stores to cope with demand.

U2 are expected to be No. 1 and the Beatles' new compilation, Love, at No. 2 on next week's Australian chart.

Chicago. 10 songs off Milan (btw, is it the whole show that's being aired on Channel 4?). Buenos Aires 3-D film.

And now Melbourne? We'd heard that the show was being filmed, but I didn't really think that they'd be planning on another dvd...:eyebrow:

The concert filmed in melbourne will be for the channel 4 thing next week. Theyw ill show clips of em playing and stuff. nothing special.

U2girl said:
I thought Melbourne footage is going on that IMAX movie?

I think that was just an interpretation of an article or two. I believe there was an article that implied that there would also be some other live 3-D material besides Buenos Aires, but IMO it was just a result of poor grammar in the article----I don't think they meant to make that implication. I also haven't heard anything about the cameras at Melbourne being IMAX cameras. Anything's possible, though.

Utoo said:

I think that was just an interpretation of an article or two. I believe there was an article that implied that there would also be some other live 3-D material besides Buenos Aires, but IMO it was just a result of poor grammar in the article----I don't think they meant to make that implication. I also haven't heard anything about the cameras at Melbourne being IMAX cameras. Anything's possible, though.

Well, are we getting 3+ Vertigo releases? Chicago, 10 Milan songs, IMAX movie from S. America and Melbourne?

:confused:

U2girl said:

Well, are we getting 3+ Vertigo releases? Chicago, 10 Milan songs, IMAX movie from S. America and Melbourne?

:confused:

That's what I'm wondering.

I don't think Melbourne will end up as a full-show dvd. If anything, I think parts of it will be included elsewhere. When they film a show for a dvd release, they seem to announce it fairly well ahead of time. This Melbourne thing sort of sprung up pretty quickly (or at least it seems that way), and I didn't notice much publicity about it ahead of time.

From what I saw there weren't enough cameras at Melbourne for it to be properly filmed. I'm guessing they just wanted to capture some footage for possible use down the track. But given small few cameras I can't see how it could be a fully blown release.

AndrewCowley said:
From what I saw there weren't enough cameras at Melbourne for it to be properly filmed. I'm guessing they just wanted to capture some footage for possible use down the track. But given small few cameras I can't see how it could be a fully blown release.

Agree. I've read that it was for the IMAX release.

It wouldn't suprise me if after checking all the footage from Sth America, the band and director realised they needed some more shots; close ups, or special parts for particular songs i.e. an intro from Bono etc.
For the first Melbourne show there was the crane and then at the sceond there was a guy walking around at the back of the stage - mainly behind Larry - with a Steadicam.
They did not seem to have any other cameras at either show beyond the four normally used.

BTW, the second show was just amazing! I have seen about 15 shows and that was the best ever for me!

They filmed at the Corner????!!!!! :huh: I was on a train yesterday arvo with my friend and as the train went over the bridge at the Corner, we saw a crowd outside and wondered what was going on there on a Monday. I MISSED THEM!!!!! :scream:

They might just be filming a lot of this stuff for preservation. Imagine if now, 13 years later, when they released this ZooTV DVD it came with shiteloads of footage from shows all over the world. Nice to think that sometime in the future when we are craving it more they'll have a stockpile of excellent stuff to dish out.

Its further stuff for the IMAX, I talked to some blokes who know some blokes and they said the IMAX stuff needed some touches of crowd and also other camera angles. But they got an awesome picture of steam coming out of the Edge as he played guitar so that will go in. Plus they loved it when the Venusualian girl picked up Bono so expect to see the Melbourne 1 version of With or Without You in the IMAX movie.

If they film all the shows (smaller crews I know) for their own benefit, maybe they should have them all for download on U2.com...you know, for their benefit.

they should put angel of harlem in aswell... bono giving the girl a piggy back ride... sweet

It's going to be on the Double Secret Probation Ultra Limited Edition of the U218 Singles compilation. :wink:

I haven't read this whole thread, so don't know if this was posted. I was told by a RELIABLE source that the filming in Melbourne was/is for the IMAX movie coming out next year. After putting it together, they realized they needed some more footage, of Larry as well as certain other aspects. Because Bono & Larry have shorter hair since the filming of the S. American shows in March, they were not allowed to film Bono/Larry from the neck up, for obvious reasons. Though they may have shot some of Bono on LaPoE because Bono wears the bandana....

:shh:

Lila64 said:
I haven't read this whole thread, so don't know if this was posted. I was told by a RELIABLE source that the filming in Melbourne was/is for the IMAX movie coming out next year. After putting it together, they realized they needed some more footage, of Larry as well as certain other aspects. Because Bono & Larry have shorter hair since the filming of the S. American shows in March, they were not allowed to film Bono/Larry from the neck up, for obvious reasons. Though they may have shot some of Bono on LaPoE because Bono wears the bandana....

:shh:

I cannot believe that. I mean that would be really horrible. Hamish cut together footage from different days (that were close together) I hated that - and he made a lot of mistakes (Streets - Slane, An Cath Dub - Chiago for example). But to cut footage together from other continets and concerts which month between - that cannot be true. Also in Melbourne the people had all there clothes one even Jackets- in Buenos Aires it was hot - T-Shirt. I don't think we will get a film from only one concert but a little bit a Rattle and Hum thing. A mucial journey - perhaps with the main event in Buenos Aires but shots from other concerts - Chile, Mexiko, Sao Paulo and Melbourne - and I bet they will film also Hawai...

but to take footage from Melbourne and cut this so the audience think it´s Buenos Aires - that would be a little bit too mutch :( :huh:
on the other hand - perhaps you are right. I was wondering why they all wear the exact same clothes like they did in South America - that would be a reason...

well, it would make no sense if they'd need extra Bono footage, but not shoot his head because it'd be recognizeable....

Bono wears different jackets since the tour restarted in Oz.... so it would be recognizeable anyway!

Back
Top Bottom