November relase Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
Talked to Universal Sweden today and there is a possibility that they will release a 20th Anniversary Edition of Joshua Tree in November this year :)

There have been a U2 release in November on some release lists on a couple of papers/magazines/sites. Maybe this is the one :)

Last edited:
What we need is a remastered 2 CD edition with the b-sides and some out-takes. I'm not sure I'd really want to spend my money on anything less.

Axver said:
What we need is a remastered 2 CD edition with the b-sides and some out-takes. I'm not sure I'd really want to spend my money on anything less.

Yes that would the only thing that makes it worth while....unless when you buy it the edge delivers it to your door!

Axver said:

:up:

proper cover, back cover, cd cover, proper versions of oth and exit...

COBL_04 said:

:up:

proper cover, back cover, cd cover, proper versions of oth and exit...

Remove the crowd noise from 1989-12-26 and use that for One Tree Hill. Do a similar thing with one of the better JT Tour performances of Exit (1987-11-08?). The album will seem so much more mindblowing.

And yes, we need the proper cover. None of that squished blurry image bollocks that some editions have.

According to u2tour.de it will be 2cd :(

I want a 3 disc version

Disc 1 CD
The whole album totaly remasterd with bonus tracks

Disc 2 Dvd audio with 5.1

Disc 3 Dvd video
With unreleased videos from live shows and documentarys

Last edited:
Man, I would love an officially mixed and released show from the JT tour.

I mean the remastering would be nice, but there isn't much "bonus" stuff from the era that hasn't been released, is there? Great b-sides, but we all have them...

ahittle said:
I mean the remastering would be nice, but there isn't much "bonus" stuff from the era that hasn't been released, is there? Great b-sides, but we all have them...

You'd be surprised. There are 30 second clips from JT sessions demos doing the rounds that, removing a couple of exceptions, do not appear to be related to known songs and presumably came from longer unreleased songs. Plus there are soundcheck songs like My Time Hasn't Come and Move Out that may exist in a more complete form; She's A Mystery To Me from the 1987 Sun Studios sessions; Beautiful Ghost from the iTunes package; Womanfish if the band want to ever go near that drunken escapade again, and so on.

I think that a 2 CD collection with fully remastered audio on one disc (perhaps a hybrid disc with a 5.1 mix for those who can play it) and b-sides/out-takes on the other would be ideal.

Yummy! :D thought the time for a 20th Anniversary Edition had passed so this is quite a nice surprise if it's true!

Absolutely adore The Joshua Tree and always loved it's B-sides so they alone (remastered) would make it worth buying it as I'd love to have all those tracks [not to mention the album itself] remastered and on CD as I'd much rather have that in one of those awesome chunky 'Legacy/Deluxe Edition' cases instead of having some crummy home-made CD-R compilation sat on my shelf. :wink:

That said, it would be nice to hear previously unreleased stuff, I'm sure there's SOMETHING worth putting out [not to mention live stuff from 'seminal' Joshua Tree concerts etc] on this supposed 20th Anniversary set but would that mean some B-sides being left off or 3 Discs...nice to think about it but I won't hold out much hope! :huh:

I would like them to give some Joshua Tree songs the Best Of-Pop-Songs treatment!

I kid, I kid!

A remix, a re-master, a deluxe booklet and an extra disc of b-sides/unreleased songs/ a live show would be swell.

gareth brown said:
true but it's not like this one would be COMPLETELY unnecessary would it? :drool:

nah..it makes me excited for what we'll get next year :dancing:

maybe a redo of HTDAAB... except this time it wont suck :wink:

or maybe a DVD of "NetAid" live from Giants Stadium....complete with a Sheryl Crow interview and performace :drool:

Peterrrrr said:
According to u2tour.de it will be 2cd :(

I want a 3 disc version

Disc 1 CD
The whole album totaly remasterd with bonus tracks

Disc 2 Dvd audio with 5.1

Disc 3 Dvd video
With unreleased videos from live shows and documentarys

Well Peterrr,

Just read the update on U2tour.de and it said that it will be a third version.

Format 3/Super Deluxe
Strictly limited edition.
Beinhaltet 2 CDs und 1 DVD von der Paris Show (Tourarchiv) der Joshua Tree Tour.
Booklet in 4 Farb- plus Gold-Druck

A remasterd paris gig would be a dream come true!

Axver said:

Remove the crowd noise from 1989-12-26 and use that for One Tree Hill. Do a similar thing with one of the better JT Tour performances of Exit (1987-11-08?). The album will seem so much more mindblowing.
:drool:

U2tour.de has it at 23 November, but the pdf they link to out of an Austrian catalogue has it at 16 November. (Which makes way more sense for Americans...who wants to wade through black friday shoppers to get a cd? ugh)

Just read at u2 tour de that there will be an anniversary release on November 23, the CD will come out in three formats, the first one with the standard CD and a 24 page booklet, the second one as Deluxe edition with a booklet and a hardcover book with 2 CDs and the third one, as already mentioned above, as strictly limited edition with two CDs and a DVD of the Joshua Tree Paris concert. Oh my God, cannot wait to get my hands on that one! :drool:

Will this coincide with a regular priced re-mastered, single disc version?

I love U2 stuff as much as the next guy, but this looks bad to the observer.

U2 Release Schedule since POP

1998 - Best of 1980-1990 (Two Editions, plus Video)
2000 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
2001 - Elevation Boston DVD
2002 - Best of 1990-2000 (Two Editions plus DVD)
2003 - Elevation Slane DVD (2 editions)
2004 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (Three Editions)
2004 - The Complete U2 (iTunes)
2005 - Vertigo Chicago DVD (2 editions)
2006 - ZOO TV DVD (2 editions)
2006 - U218 (3 editions+book)
2007 - Popmart DVD (2 editions)
2007 - Joshua Tree Re-Release (2/3 editions)

That is 2 original albums, and 3 unreleased concerts in 10 years and a whole SLEW of money spinners. I own them all except the complete U2, but still ...

Oh my God. Is this for real, they're really going to release all that stuff? Plus the Paris gig, an officially cleaned up version, with great picture and sound quality?:hyper:

I hope they release a deluxe edition in a regular format jewel case instead of the "big-book" version that has caused me to have to buy the single disc versions of Bomb & U218 just to fit in my CD Rack :(

How limited are we talking? The fake limited edition like the Bomb Book release, or something genuinely rare.

Is it Paris 4th July 1987?

http://www.u2start.com/bootlegs/1987-07-04/Paris, France - The Hippodrome/

I'm stunned they're releasing the JT Paris gig. Sure, it was proshot, but still, check out the set! Biggest thing for some people will be the stark lack of Streets. For those of us familiar with the gig, I'm sure the biggest thing is that U2 are actually officially releasing that WOWY. Anyway, from U2VT:

1. Stand By Me
2. C'mon Everybody
3. I Will Follow
4. Trip Through Your Wires
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
6. MLK
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Exit / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
10. In God's Country
11. The Electric Co. / Break On Through (snippet)
12. Help
13. Bad
14. October
15. New Year's Day
16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
17. Bullet The Blue Sky
18. Running To Stand Still
19. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
20. Party Girl
21. 40

Varitek said:
For those of us unfamiliar with the gig, what's so special about that WOWY?

Something goes off in the crowd, I'm not sure precisely what it actually was, but Bono stops the song and remarks "tear gas? There are enough tears in this song already." When the song restarts, Bono improvises a great verse.

I do have to wonder if the concert will actually be an edited version like Milan on the U2:18 bonus disc. If so, we bloody well better get The Electric Co. this time! Not to mention The Unforgettable Fire too, as there's no live version on an official video yet.

I'm not familiar with this gig, but I'm surprised they are releasing a concert without Streets.

Anyway, I wonder if they will release the whole show or only parts of it like they did with Vertigo Milan.

I'd forgotten about that tear gas incident in With Or Without You. This must be an edited release, surely there's no way they'd want that version on the shelves, its one of their best and most well known songs and you'd think they'd want a good representation of it out there.

The Paris show is a pretty good gig actually, but I don't know why they've chosen this particular pro-shot. Was it ever actually broadcast on television? What about L.A or Syracuse? They're probably better examples of the JT tour.

I think they will cut a few bits out, most specifically that version of WOWY. I guess it depends on the band's view of things.

Back
Top Bottom