November relase Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:

The jumbotron footage is all in color (from what I have heard) and its not necessarily in the U2 archives (possible, but Sony technically had the film). The Black and white I'm referring to is what was shot for Rattle and Hum. They shot at least half of that footage in black and white. I just dont see them releasing that footage as it was for effect with the movie.

I'm still not really buying though that the Paris DVD is going to happen. Would be great if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Does KODAK own the R&H outtakes?

Seriously, NFL Films shot Springsteen's 1985 Stadium tour and Bruce incorporated owns that footage. You hire the crew, you own the footage. It should all be in the U2 Vault unless Sony employees secretly made copies for their own "personal use"

This isn't 1983 when a semi-broke U2 had to pull favours anywhere they could before Red Rocks.

One reason I'm pessimistic about Paris video is that there's no sign the group even thought of releasing the video. Whenever they show a "U2 career spanning montage clip" the only JT era footage seems to be from R&H. There was no indication thay were sitting on a refurbished Paris clip they same way they tease with Red Rocks or Popmart(since 2001)

u2fp

On an unrelated note, has a fan ever done a sound matrix using an audience tape for the 1987 Proshot/soundboard Springsteen/U2 Philadelphia duet that is on youtube?

U2FanPeter said:

Does KODAK own the R&H outtakes?

Seriously, NFL Films shot Springsteen's 1985 Stadium tour and Bruce incorporated owns that footage. You hire the crew, you own the footage. It should all be in the U2 Vault unless Sony employees secretly made copies for their own "personal use"

This isn't 1983 when a semi-broke U2 had to pull favours anywhere they could before Red Rocks.

One reason I'm pessimistic about Paris video is that there's no sign the group even thought of releasing the video. Whenever they show a "U2 career spanning montage clip" the only JT era footage seems to be from R&H. There was no indication thay were sitting on a refurbished Paris clip they same way they tease with Red Rocks or Popmart(since 2001)

u2fp

On an unrelated note, has a fan ever done a sound matrix using an audience tape for the 1987 Proshot/soundboard Springsteen/U2 Philadelphia duet that is on youtube?

Never said they didnt have them. I said its possible they dont. Read my post again please. You are right about the Sony film crew. How do you think LA and Syracuse surfaced? Do the math.

I dont even know why I reply to these. I tell something I know or am pretty sure on and someone always has to challenge me on it.

Time for another break from here.

Am I reading properly ? U2 releasing a JT show in the Deluxe Edition ? Now that'd be a real deluxe thing ........

Is this like finally the beginning of really Awesome releases ?

Last edited:
I'd like to think that U2 would own their own 35mm film archives that were shot for Rattle and Hum. All they did was purchase 35mm film, it's not like Kodak would own them. That doesn't make sense.

Blue Room said:
Fan sites, not saying its not possible. But its not really being reported all over or anything.

We will see I guess. Just like that new album that is due next month, right? ;)

Fan sites quoting the band's label subsidiary. Plenty of time yet till november for more reports. :shrug:

Well, remember the "New U2 CD in Fall 2007" thread in Where the album has a name ? :hmm:

Blue Room said:
Never said they didnt have them. I said its possible they dont. Read my post again please. You are right about the Sony film crew.

Wouldn't the credits to the 80-90 VHS indicate who owns the R&H film outtakes?

Jesus, is anyone even reading what I'm saying. The Sony film crew footage is the jumbotron footage. THAT is what I'm referring to. Not the footage that was shot for Rattle and Hum. I swear, people on here sometimes are unbelieveble. READ before you post a response. PLEASE

Obviously U2 has the footage shot for Rattle and Hum. I NEVER said they didnt. I didnt even say they didnt have the Sony crew footage either (which again, is the jumbotron screen footage, not the R and H footage for those that dont read the post), I said it was possible they didnt. Even if they do I dont think they would use that footage for an official release.

WOW

"Videotape" and "film" being used interchangably seemed to cause all problems here. It doesn't help that "Sony Films" is the official name of u2'S jumbotron live feed 1987 video crew(Springsteen used "NFL Film" for his Jumbotron live video feeds in 1985)

What I know off the top of my head:

Concerts FILMED for R&H in Black & White: Denver(x2?), Tempe(Colour), Yuppies, Memphis, MSG(?)

Stadium shows VIDEOTAPED: Most large stadiums had jumbotrons, some may have been B&W screens, but the camera and mastertape would be in colour

Stadium shows VIDEOTAPED with extra video cameras: Paris(TV special?), Syracuse(Bono's "Lights, Camera, Action" line at the start of the gig indicate they are documenting the concert)

Most arena shows likely did not have a film or video crew.

Where it gets unknown is if U2 has multitrack live recordings of anything other than Paris/Syracuse/R&H concerts. We only know that u2 keeps soundboard recordings of shows from self-review the day after the show. Simple soundboards would be unfit for commercial release as they can't be "mixed", audience noise is usually almost inaudible and they have limited editing options.

We do know u2 should own everything R&H related.

We are not certain if u2 own the mastertapes from the Jumbotron videofeeds - or if the raw video exists from the individual camera angles.

The is a very small amount of semi-pro U2 video in private collections like News Stations. This includes the complete performance colour videotape(leaked to fans from CNN raw footage vault) of the "Save the Yuppies" and press access in the camera pit(alongside press still-photographers) for the first 3 songs of most concerts during the tour(uncut footage of the first 3 songs has leaked from one or two concerts). Some stations were given multi-camera videotape of the couple songs(Europe only?)if they did a u2 special.

I don't know who currently owns the mastertape of the MTV "Outside it's America" videotaped tv special.

Blue Room, does any of your knowledge vary from the above?

u2fp

Last edited:
I was under the impression that all the fall '87 gigs were shot. What I know was shot for R&H:

Boston Garden - color
Foxboro Stadium - B&W
Philly (The Vet) - b&w
MSG - b&w
Denver (both shows) - b&w
SF (Yuppies) - b&w
Fort Worth - b&w
Tempe (both shows) - color

Syracuse is possible I suppose...B's "Action! Roll camera!" during the Streets intro might well indicate that was filmes. Anyway assuming they wouldn't want to officially release the b&w stuff you're left with Tempe & Boston, or a show we don't know about.

In Europe the only shows I know were filmed were Paris & Dublin (first show). Dublin was for TV broadcast so I suppose they may or may not have the films, and it may or may not be to their standards. I don't know that anything from the first leg exists on film...it's rumored the partial Jersey soundboard is sourced from vhs but that might just be more Jumbotron stuff - at that point it's guesswork on my part.

Personally I'd rather they just release Tempe and when it comes time to re-release R&H (if they ever do - it's already been released on HD & Blu-Ray so who knows?), just give us a Lovetown gig (Sydney might be all they have).

U2FanPeter said:

Not sure there's a good enough tape out there to make it worthwhile. The recording I've got is decent, bit of hiss...the master tape is probably very nice but to my knowledge that's in the taper's attic/basement and not flying around the trading world. It's on the R&H outtakes dvd's and the soundboard sound is OK, but not great...they're not master tapes either, and the 'board is a bit dry.

CTU2fan said:

Not sure there's a good enough tape out there to make it worthwhile. The recording I've got is decent, bit of hiss...the master tape is probably very nice but to my knowledge that's in the taper's attic/basement and not flying around the trading world. It's on the R&H outtakes dvd's and the soundboard sound is OK, but not great...they're not master tapes either, and the 'board is a bit dry.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTiFKnLifCU

Admittadly, I had only seen this is youtube quality and wasn't sure if it were from the RH film crew or Jumbotron feed(one camera)

I just want to hear the audience go nuts when Bruce comes out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucuBimT-9m4

Dublin 1987 TV special clip. Film or Video? Ownership?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1qx9UlBqM

Boston Garden R&H colour film

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBZdEQXtk3A

Syracuse. Streets
1:48 = "Action Roll Camera".
4:48 = looks like a video camera to me
Film or Videotape?
Jumbotron feed or videotaped show for u2's archive?

u2fp

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
In Europe the only shows I know were filmed were Paris & Dublin (first show). Dublin was for TV broadcast so I suppose they may or may not have the films, and it may or may not be to their standards. I don't know that anything from the first leg exists on film...it's rumored the partial Jersey soundboard is sourced from vhs but that might just be more Jumbotron stuff - at that point it's guesswork on my part.

What 1st leg concerts had Jumbotrons?

Houston Summit has an in-house video team and screens. Don't know if U2 used it when there very early on in the JT tour. April 7/8 - first shows of the tour outside of arizona state.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
What 1st leg concerts had Jumbotrons?

As far as I know, none. They only used video screens for the stadium concerts on the 3rd leg. They didn't use them at all for the indoor shows.

martha said:

LA for both.

I thought the LA Stadium show has been leaked to U2 collectors?

Were you located infront of the soundboard?

I think the (single?)Jumbotron screen was located at the backside of the soundboard/spotlight tower area in the middle of the stadium field. Those seats furthest away from the group FAAAR away from the stage. LA Coliseum is HUUUGE.

u2fp

Well, I'm not sure why I'm responding as I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong.

But from what I have been told by "reputable" sources the video screens were used for every stadium show from Oakland up until Tempe. They werent used in Tempe obviously because they were filming the color footage for R and H. So most likely there isnt a ton of shows where that type of footage exists. A few other stadium shows prior to that also had some screens in use. Really depended on if the venue itself had built in screens prior to Oakland. Syracuse is an example of an earlier show where it was employed.

As far as every single third leg show being filmed. I was told this at one point also and believed that. Recently though I was told that not every single show was actually filmed. About 70 or 80% of them were shot in some fashion though for potential use in the movie. Some shows only a couple of cameras were employed and others obviously they used more extensive cameras.

Could they use the video footage? Sure. Do I think they will? No.

Anything is possible. Kiss recently released a bunch of their old video footage. U2 has enough stuff though that they shot with full production over the years where I dont think they will ever go that route.

My dream would be for the full production pro shot footage of the entire Nov. 18, 1989 Sydney Lovetown show be released. Hell will probably freeze over before that happens though.

I will still believe this Paris 87 or even this remastered disc when its officially listed somewhere. Not a fan site reporting they got it from U2's label.

U2's releases tend to disappoint - the really good, rare & exciting stuff often remains in the archives. So suggestions of a rarities CD & Paris DVD make me very suspicious.

However if it does happen I hope the rarities includes some genuine unreleased material, and the Paris DVD contains the more unusual tracks and cover versions.

Every other band in the world is releasing demo tracks and outtakes. It's about time U2 did the same.

We know in 1986 they recorded demos that didn't make the album (such as 'Poison Glen') plus we've had a bootleg of 'Be There' and the 'snippets' tape.

"the really good, rare & exciting stuff often remains in the archives"

And it doesn't make sense. Considering that to a lot of fans those years were the best. Especially the late 80's.

They released various studio outtakes and demos on The Complete U2 from iTunes, so I don't think it's that far-fetched to imagine some JT outtakes and demos on this reissue.

The DVD does seem odd though, because U2 seem to be really picky about what video footage gets released and I wonder if this Paris footage is really up to their standards.

chocky said:
We know in 1986 they recorded demos that didn't make the album (such as 'Poison Glen') plus we've had a bootleg of 'Be There' and the 'snippets' tape.
I thought "Be There" was recorded between October and War.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom