North Dakota shoots down a bill to honor Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sent the following to University of North Dakota officials this morning:

With all of the press North Dakota is getting by the legislature rejecting a bill honoring Bono of U2 for his advocacy of debt relief for Third World countries (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...7021600167.html), this would be a great opportunity to capitalize by trying to get him to be the commencement speaker at UND this spring. This would not be easy as he is one of the most sought after speakers in the world.

By the way; I have a vested interest in this as a former North Dakotan and alumni of UND. I consider U2 to be the greatest band in the world and my eldest daughter, Marie Kyle, who is also a huge U2 fan, is graduating from UND this spring.

The simple act of getting Bono to speak at UND would generate more national/international press than the university has generated since its founding.

Thanks for considering but you must act quick.

Sincerely,

Curt Murdy

UND Class of ‘84

cm said:
I sent the following to University of North Dakota officials this morning:

With all of the press North Dakota is getting by the legislature rejecting a bill honoring Bono of U2 for his advocacy of debt relief for Third World countries (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...7021600167.html), this would be a great opportunity to capitalize by trying to get him to be the commencement speaker at UND this spring. This would not be easy as he is one of the most sought after speakers in the world.

By the way; I have a vested interest in this as a former North Dakotan and alumni of UND. I consider U2 to be the greatest band in the world and my eldest daughter, Marie Kyle, who is also a huge U2 fan, is graduating from UND this spring.

The simple act of getting Bono to speak at UND would generate more national/international press than the university has generated since its founding.

Thanks for considering but you must act quick.

Sincerely,

Curt Murdy

UND Class of ‘84

That's cool of you to write to your alma mater! Working at a University, I appreciate when alumni keep in touch. However, you probably should've attached a fatty check with your letter. I've looked into bringing him to speak on campus, and the cost would START at $150,000. Can you believe that? The agency also said something about a private jet. :ohmy:

So...I'm not sure what kind of budget UND is working with...but for my school, I knew we couldn't afford him without getting a load of co-sponsorships.

redhotswami said:

That's cool of you to write to your alma mater! Working at a University, I appreciate when alumni keep in touch. However, you probably should've attached a fatty check with your letter. I've looked into bringing him to speak on campus, and the cost would START at $150,000. Can you believe that? The agency also said something about a private jet. :ohmy:

So...I'm not sure what kind of budget UND is working with...but for my school, I knew we couldn't afford him without getting a load of co-sponsorships.

Gulp! I never thought it would be that much! I know that UND has an aviation program so the private jet probably would not be a problem. ;) The 150k would be a problem! I've already donated my 150k to U2.

NORTH DAKOTA?!! WHAT?! I can't believe this! To think a powerful state such as ND would shoot down a bill to honor BONO... I just can't believe it. I'm sure Bono is VERY upset over this. I mean, holy crap... we're talking about NORTH ****ING DAKOTA, here! Stuff like the Roosevelt Garden and fish hunting...

****ing north dakota

Back
Top Bottom