North and South of the River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
This is a song that I often overlook when listening to my mp3 on the bus, because I feel like listening to others. And then it gets neglected. But the other night, on a train home, I put it on and was blown away again by the beauty of it. Bono's vocals are so haunting and gorgeous, and then Edge joins in at the end. It's got lovely lyrics and it's a perfect song for late at night listening, just to immerse yourself in it. I'm happy I rediscovered it, so to speak.

Does anyone else love this song?

i dont relly like the studio version, but i looooove the live version

Amazing song, but I agree with chizip, the live version is so much better, especially the Omagh tribute. :drool:

I like both versions for different reasons, although the horns (or synth horns) on the live version really put this one over the top.

The studio version just illustrates how moving U2 can still be while going for a modern/experimental sound.

To me this blows every other B-side out of the water, as most are novelty or "fun" songs that never come close to packing the emotional punch of their respective album tracks.

I love both versions. It's just a :drool: song, one of U2 best b-sides.

Takes you to another dimension... perfect while travelling or when you're going to bed

lazarus said:
I like both versions for different reasons, although the horns (or synth horns) on the live version really put this one over the top.

The studio version just illustrates how moving U2 can still be while going for a modern/experimental sound.

To me this blows every other B-side out of the water, as most are novelty or "fun" songs that never come close to packing the emotional punch of their respective album tracks.

right on!
this is one of my very favorite u2 songs. i feel like it's one of those truly, truly special compositions. big human themes, melodies lifted from our collective consciousness. u2 on autopilot, barely trying, merely channelling and then connecting. a highlight of the pop era, and the rearranged omagh version is stunning. i really love both versions, won't choose between them...

the live version is amazing... I was listening to it the other day and i was blown away by it... it is a very beautiful song:drool:

the christy moore version is also very good.....anyone know where can i get the live version?

Round 3....
http://s24.....com/d.aspx?id=3VNHB0N66CYPM0ZFZ5JENWL4BW

put you know what in the spaces between 24. and .com.
this should work (i tried it). if it doesn't, leave your email address and i'll forward.
the link was getting screwed up with the ... that the message generated as a placesaver in the post... sorry for the trouble...:huh:

Last edited:
This song is absolutely brilliant in every form. Just good solid songwriting all around. I like each version for different reasons.

Hoodlem said:
This song is absolutely brilliant in every form. Just good solid songwriting all around. I like each version for different reasons.

right on.:up:

my sentiments EXACTLY.

Back
Top Bottom