Non-album songs in Rate The Song series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
I need everyone's help in making a decision for the Rate The Song series. The The Boy/October/War era produced an enormous number of songs that weren't on albums. All of the song titles I could dig up were:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Speed Of Life
Saturday Night
Things To Make And Do
Boy/Girl
Stories For Boys
Another Day
Cartoon World
A Celebration
J. Swallo
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Angels Too Tied To The Ground (I realize that this is actually largely from 2008, so maybe it could even go with the 2000s songs?)
Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)
Street Mission
Life On A Distant Planet (?)
Trevor (?)
The Speed Of Life (?)
The Fool (?)
Pete The Chop (?)
Jack In A Box (?)
Father Is An Elephant (?)
Concentration Cramp (?)

Or about two-three albums worth of songs. Now, I honestly think that this is too many to have polls for, lest Interference get totally bored with my little game, but I also want this to be a fair contest for every song. The songs with question marks in particular I'm not sure about. I personally have never even listened to any of those, and to be honest, I'm not even totally sure that even bootleg recordings of them exist (they certainly have never been officially released in any form). Could anyone who is more familiar with early U2 help me out (Axver, if you ever read this forum anymore, I'm looking at you)? There's part of me that wants to cut this list down to something like:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Saturday Night
Things To Make And Do
Boy/Girl
Stories For Boys
Cartoon World
A Celebration
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Angels Too Tied To The Ground

Although this may cut too much. To everyone, even if you are as unfamiliar with early U2 as I am: what is your opinion on this?

Also, if I've missed any songs, please let me know.

Also, if Concentration Cramp wins this contest, I'm officially quitting Interference.

I'd cut it down like this:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Saturday Night
Things To Make And Do
Boy/Girl
Stories For Boys
Another Day
Cartoon World
A Celebration
J. Swallow
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Street Mission
Life On A Distant Planet
Pete The Chop

Only because those are the songs I am familiar with.

Even then, some of them should be eliminated. What you should do is just work off of official or major releases. I'd just go with some subjective decision making, because otherwise it might diminish the process. I mean really, if you poll everyone on 'Things to Make And Do' you're going to get plenty of question marks, uncertainties, and the sort.

Plus, it'd just make a mess. I'd say:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Boy/Girl
Stories For Boys
Another Day
J. Swallow
Party Girl
Endless Deep

Is all we really need. I mean, I'm largely insecure of what I know versus what I should know though. I might happen to know random songs but not more obvious ones. Maybe just doing U2 - 3 and UABRS would do it justice?

All I know is that 11 O'clock Tick Tock better be on here.

As for later non-album tracks...

The Sweetest Thing
Lady With The Spinning Head (UV1)
Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
No Line on the Horizon 2
Spanish Eyes
Blow Your House Down
Walk On (Single Vesion, ya know, the one from the "7" EP)
Heaven and Hell
Down all the Days
Oh Berlin
Everybody Loves a Winner
Electrical Storm
The Hands That Built America
The Saints are Coming
Window in the Skies

All these songs have been officially released, though.

this is what i'd go with:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Speed Of Life
Saturday Night
Things To Make And Do
Boy/Girl
Another Day
A Celebration
J. Swallo
Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl
Endless Deep

KhanadaRhodes said:
this is what i'd go with:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Speed Of Life
Saturday Night
Things To Make And Do
Boy/Girl
Another Day
A Celebration
J. Swallo
Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl
Endless Deep

I like this. Barring strenuous objection, I may go with this.

Barring any objections, I think I'll use this list of songs for the TUF-R&H era non-album songs:

Disappearing Act
Love Comes Tubling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Walk to the Water
Spanish Eyes
Silver and Gold
Sweetest Thing (original version)
Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
She's a Mystery To Me

I object. Where is Drunk Chicken?

If you seriously want Drunk Chicken, I can put it in there. But I can't realistically put every not-overly-well-known TUF/TJT b-side in there or we'll spend a ridiculous amount of time on songs that everyone knows won't do very well anyway.

(although it would be hilarious if Drunk Chicken won)

The lists look good Digitize. Though I agree, please add the Boomerangs. Both will score well from me.

I think Rise Up, Desert of Our Love and Deep In The Heart are far far more worthy of consideration than alot of these listed, frankly. Especially filler like Boomerang and Bass Trap. Those are only very barely songs imo..probably the only reason people know them is because they've been kicking around so long.

So yeah that's my objection. :wink:

I think Rise Up, Desert of Our Love and Deep In The Heart are far far more worthy of consideration than alot of these listed, frankly. Especially filler like Boomerang and Bass Trap. Those are only very barely songs imo..probably the only reason people know them is because they've been kicking around so long.

So yeah that's my objection. :wink:

Choose one and I'll add it. I can't open up 11 polls two days from now.

There is also two more 'early' songs - 'Be There' and 'False Profit' that could possibly be included in the Non-Album voting sector. The quality of False Profit (mainly the case being that it was an early demo and was never released) isn't that great and it isn't that long, but it's better than J. Swallow. Hell, anything is better than J. Swallow...

'Be There' is a little better, longer, and has a little more quality about it. According to some people it is from 1983 (TUF Era). These songs are both on Youtube, btw.

flybabe said:
There is also two more 'early' songs - 'Be There' and 'False Profit' that could possibly be included in the Non-Album voting sector. The quality of False Profit (mainly the case being that it was an early demo and was never released) isn't that great and it isn't that long, but it's better than J. Swallow. Hell, anything is better than J. Swallow...

'Be There' is a little better, longer, and has a little more quality about it. According to some people it is from 1983 (TUF Era). These songs are both on Youtube, btw.

The problem is that I really cannot include every song - I have to stick to the more well-known songs so that we don't spend forever rating songs that few of us have ever heard of.

the tourist said:
Oh wait, the covers aren't going to be in the rating?

Nope.

TUF "b-sides", along with those from JT, are the best of their kind in U2's career, and in fact the 2nd disc to the 80/90 compilation album is better than half U2's studio catalogue. This is fairly non-debatable.

Great idea including them in this series.

Man having to vote for all these 80s bsides is forcing me to relisten to the majority of them. Haven't listened in years. :lol: Though I guess I won't listen to them in the next few years either, cause my opinion hasn't changed much.

The problem is that I really cannot include every song - I have to stick to the more well-known songs so that we don't spend forever rating songs that few of us have ever heard of.

I understand. You're really putting alot of thought behind this whole series, and that is commendable, mainly because you don't see most people putting thought behind much of anything around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom