No Surprise - U2 to be inducted in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chazman151

War Child
U2, O'Jays Are Rock Hall of Fame Inductees

NEW YORK - Irish rockers U2, R&B singers The O'Jays and soul balladeer Percy Sledge are among five musical legends to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame during the foundation's 20th annual induction ceremony next year, the organization announced Monday.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation will hold its induction ceremony March 14 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan.

U2, which became one of the planet's most popular bands in the 1980s with their megahit "The Joshua Tree," is still making the charts: Their November release, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," is the No. 2 album according to Billboard.

The O'Jays had eight No. 1 R&B hits during the 1970s and '80s, including "Love Train" and "Use Ta Be My Girl." Sledge will forever be associated with "When a Man Loves a Woman," one of the songs that made him a figure in deep Southern Soul in the late 1960s.

The Pretenders and blues guitarist Buddy Guy will also join the organization's Class of 2005.

The artists beat out an impressive list of nominees including Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, which would have been the first rap group to be inducted; "Centerfold" singers the J. Geils Band, and the late country singer Conway Twitty.

Also, Frank Barsalona and Seymour Stein will be inducted in the non-performer category.

Barsalona is credited with creating the first legitimate rock and roll booking agency. His roster included acts like Led Zepplin, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and The Who.

Stein, who is chairman and co-founder of Sire Records, is noted as one of the most successful executives in the recording industry. He is known for signing artists like Madonna, The Ramones and The Talking Heads.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the nominations, which were announced in September. Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.

Link

I don't remember the others who were up for this but I know other than U2 and the Pretenders none of the ones I wanted made it. The O'Jays are pretty cool but I don't care for the other 2, it would have been fun to have more rock bands for U2 to jam with in the finale. Oh well at least they're in.

Congrats to U2! :applaud:

I don't know how many acts have been inducted the year the first year that they've been eligible, lol.

As far as who can induct them: not sure. They might want a newer act who's been influenced by U2 (for instance, Coldplay) or one of their peers (REM), or maybe someone whom they've inducted (Springsteen)...

top 4 guesses for inductor:

1. Bruce
2. Stipe
3. Vedder
4. Chris Martin

David Bowie or Sting would take the event very seriously...I'd like to see and hear one of them talk about U2 and handle the induction.

Any one have any details on whether the lil' people can buy tickets for this?

I had read something about $1500 a plate for the ceremony a couple years ago, so I am thinking it is not really geared for the fans which is a big joke if you ask me. They should hold the ceremony AT the RRHF not at the Waldorf... :madspit:

Last edited:
:hmm: Let's see...

Coldplay have an album coming out next year and have cited U2 as a musical influence. However, I've only heard a few Chris Martin interviews and those made him seem kinda dull when he wasn't sticking his foot in his mouth. I have visions of him giving a snoozer of a speech.

Bono has stated that REM are like family, I suppose I can see Mr. Stipe up there giving a speech, or all 3 sharing the duty.

I read somewhere that Eddie Vedder was a U2 fanatic at one point, but you don't really see the bands hanging out very much...

Now, I don't know how popular the person giving the induction speech has to be but Gavin Friday would give a kick ass speech, complete with drama and theatrics.

Need a date Chris? :wink:

No, but seriously, that is the amount of money I would envision as MAXIMUM for me to spend next year to go to as many shows as possible so I just could not justify that for the ceremony :|

But you could definitely report for us! :wink:

I can't see it being Chris Martin... him and Bono aren't really friends in the way that U2 is friends with someone like Michael Stipe.

No doubt Bono won't see this as cause for celebration - he wasn't too enthralled about the UK Music Hall Of Fame either, was he?

haha, U2 beat out the J.Geils band (no surprises) but I recalled reading there was tension between the 2 bands when U2 supported them back in 1982 so I did some research and found this blurb:

"The band U2 opened for the band during the Freeze-Frame Tour and ignited the crowd so much that it is lore that Peter Wolf pulled the plug on them to get them offstage."

(and if my memory serves me correctly, in response to this U2 covered their rooms in champagne or something like that...)

Found this from last year

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

ROCK HALL HOSTS EXCLUSIVE LIVE BROADCAST OF THE 19TH ANNUAL ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CEREMONY

Cleveland Museum is the only place outside of New York’s Waldorf-Astoria to see the entire, unedited Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
CLEVELAND (February 11, 2004) – The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will host an exclusive live broadcast of the 19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Monday, March 15, 2004. The broadcast will begin at 8:00 p.m. (Doors open at 7:00 p.m.).

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions will be held at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City on March 15. Tickets to the black tie event in New York are $2,500. Visitors to the Museum in Cleveland will be able to witness the entire length of the 2004 Induction Ceremony for only $10. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will broadcast the entire four-hour ceremony, including the unedited performances and all of the comments that are cut from the television broadcast. This one-time showing will be seen on several large screens throughout the Museum.

Previous Induction Ceremonies have been rich with colorful commentary, Inductee performances and celebrity cameos. “There’s really no way that you can squeeze all of that into a one hour television broadcast,” said Todd Mesek, Director of Marketing and Communications at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. “We’re extremely excited to bring this rare viewing opportunity to visitors at the Museum. You really won’t be able to see this anywhere else…ever,” he added.

The Museum will also unveil the 2004 Inductee exhibit earlier that same day. March 15 will be the first opportunity for Museum visitors to see the 2004 Inductee Exhibit and listen to their music on the Rock Hall’s Inductee jukeboxes. All exhibits will be open to tour during the event.

Tickets are $10 and go on sale Monday, February 16. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster at 216.241.5555 or the Museum box office.

Crap... why is this thing on a Monday. Though if it starts at 8:00 I could probably make it since it is a 2+ hour drive. Back to my house by 3:00 am or so... hmmmm. Guess we'll have to see....

Last edited:
My vote is for either half a Who (Pete and Rog) or just Pete. Especially since U2 has been giving a lot kudos to the Who lately (intro for ABOY at NY gig) and "The Who is everything U2 wanted to be"...Bono 2004 - Jonathan Ross Show.

Not to even mention that U2 inducted the Who into RnR Hall of Fame.

starsgoblue said:
Maybe me and the other poor raggedy fans can just camp outside the Waldorf for a glimpse...:madspit:

I'm too poor and raggedy to even afford the trip to NYC even if do sleep in the street :grumpy:

starsgoblue said:

:madspit: those rich folks always denying for others what they demand for themselves :( If you do camp out maybe you can wait on the crumbs from their table :sigh:

Good to see they are getting inducted nobody deserved it more on the list of people.

Henry Rollins would be a funny person to induct them....waving the black flag haha

Back
Top Bottom