"no regrets...no tears goodbye..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i know there was already a thread stared on this, but i can't find it right now, and i must know about the SNL performance. at the end of Sometimes, what song is Bono quoting? (No regrets, no tears goodbye, i don't want you back)

I was wrong! Midge Ure recorded the song years ago but according to a U2 interview I just read No Regrets is a Tom Rush song.

And I just read the liner notes in my Midge Ure CD, it is a Tom Rush song.

This is personally quite an eye opener for me and a little unnerving cause I thought Midge was such a sensitive man to write a song like that. Very humble.

But he didnt write it :scream:

*Wanders off to fall in love with this Tom Rush person instead...... *

Yes it is a Tom Rush song, and Scot Walker has covered it also, and that is the version that inspired Bono to sing it the first time on SNL.

thanks for clearing that up EP.
now it is all making sense.
i have just recently listened to the scott walker version for the first time after hearing the boys mention his influence on the song.
it's worth checking out just to see what a good impersonator bono can be. :)

I would love to hear this! :yes:

Is there somewhere to download it or would you mind sending it my way. :bow:

walktothewater (at) gmail.com

I just listened to the Scott Walker version of this song and OH MY GOD! Its 'So Cruel'. You can totally see where that song came from now.

I didn't have the fortune to see SNL (i live in the uk) but Bono did the same thing at the end of Somtimes on the Jonathan Ross show and it was a great touch, really emotional :sad:

I know the song well but never knew who sung it before!

EPandAmerica said:
I love it! I may have to get a Scott Walker cd. Are his other songs good? I like his voice! :yes:

Check out 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More' by The Walker Brothers (before he went solo) Great song. Big sounding, kind of a Phil Spector vibe going on

Back
Top Bottom