No love for the fun songs...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XHendrix24

Refugee
Alright. So, after all the time I've spent reading this forum so far, I've noticed a fairly interesting pattern, and after I saw that it had been brought up in the Jesus Christ thread, I thought it deserved a thread of its own. Anyway, to get to the point, why is it that so many U2 fans tend to shun the fun songs in U2's catalogue? Vertigo, Elevation, Discotheque, Jesus Christ, Trip Through Your Wires, etc, etc. These are great songs that are often sadly overlooked. The only reason I can come up with for this is because they aren't the epic, deep songs that are often U2 favorites.

Well, either that or the majority of U2 fans are overly-serious twits. That's your decision. :wink:

But, I'm curious to see who else appreciates these kinds of songs and, if you don't, why not?

I love the fun songs you mention, particularly Jesus Christ and Trip Through Your Wires. It's wonderful to hear the band cut loose and enjoy themselves. Not every song has to be about spirituality or love or deep themes. Sometimes a song is just a song. :)

A lot of my favorite REM songs are always the poppy "silly" songs that most R.E.M. fans don't really see as the "classics". Such as Get Up, Bad Day, Shiney Happy People, Aftermath, I Believe, Imitation of Life, etc. U2 on the other hand...well, I just love everything, so I guess that includes the fun songs too.:)

Elevation is not a fun song,, This song is pure PAIN, for the listener :wink:

discothequeLP said:
hmmm. The Fly, Desire, Mysterious Ways, Streets, I Will Follow, Out of Control. . . not fun songs?

Obviously you're missing what I mean by a "fun" song. Just because a song is upbeat doesn't make it fun. :yes:

Lancemc said:
Woooooooooooo hoooooooooooo. Wooooooooo hoooooo woooo hooo hooo.

:wink:

Damn those woooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooos :wink:

Vertigo's ace! Elevation is just daft, but I do like it - my ears do protest at Bono's whooohoos though.

By those criteria, I don't think "Discotheque" is fun. It's very very very deep if you actually pay attention to the lyrics. Addiction, despair, all set to the happier music, yes, but not happy topics.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) is fun too...bet lots of people hate it...and Everlasting Love too.

I like Discotheque, Christmas, and Everlasting Love.

I'm not too fond of Elevation. Not because its "fun", but rather because its a bit bland for my liking.

beli said:
I like Discotheque, Christmas, and Everlasting Love.

I'm not too fond of Elevation. Not because its "fun", but rather because its a bit bland for my liking.

Heh. That's kind of funny, considering I'm fairly fond of Elevation myself, and yet I find most of the second half of ATYCLB too bland for my liking. Strange how things work out like that. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:

Heh. That's kind of funny, considering I'm fairly fond of Elevation myself, and yet I find most of the second half of ATYCLB too bland for my liking. Strange how things work out like that. :wink:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is on the second half and thats my favourite song onthe album. Work that one out. lol.

beli said:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is on the second half and thats my favourite song onthe album. Work that one out. lol.

Agree completelly! Ground Beneath Her Feet :drool:

Boom-cha, woooohoooo, Jesus Christ, *harmonica*

Yeah.

XHendrix24 said:

Obviously you're missing what I mean by a "fun" song. Just because a song is upbeat doesn't make it fun. :yes:

hmm. . . ok

XHendrix24 said:
Anyway, to get to the point, why is it that so many U2 fans tend to shun the fun songs in U2's catalogue?. . . The only reason I can come up with for this is because they aren't the epic, deep songs that are often U2 favorites.

Well, either that or the majority of U2 fans are overly-serious twits. That's your decision. :wink:

so a 'fun' song can't be an epic, or a fan favourite for that matter?

ok. i'll just stick with Spanish Eyes and Party Girl as 'fun' songs. . . oh wait, no fan favourites huh?

well i guess u2 hasn't made any fun songs

Elevation is great!!!! It's a great rock song!!
It's the damned tomb raider mix that screwed it up.
If you don't like elevation then you are a sad case...cos it's a happy kinda song...what's wrong with elevating your soul huh??
It was great live, you can't deny that now can you!!

stagman said:
Elevation is great!!!! It's a great rock song!!
It's the damned tomb raider mix that screwed it up.
If you don't like elevation then you are a sad case...cos it's a happy kinda song...what's wrong with elevating your soul huh??
It was great live, you can't deny that now can you!!

I often deny it :wink:

Damn Elevation,, Leave my soul alone

Axver said:

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, YEAH...

Elevation is crowd song, to lift the moral and atmosphere to another level, that's why Elevation and Vertigo should be openers.

Streets are similar song but far more better.
:drool:

Fun songs?what are fun songs????You said Trip which a piece of shit!!!no further discussion!!

Vertigo bores me now because i heard it a million times.

I will say that Sometimes is a fun song because it lifts me, mentally!!

the light, happy songs are just as great as the deep, touching ones.

Don't foget about Numb....I think they had some fun with that one as well. "Hey guys, lets make our first single as whacky as possible, people won't even be able to tell it's U2. Edge, why don't you mumble for 4 minutes.....while we're at it, let's make a video where we all get to shove our feet in Edge's face.":wink:

Back
Top Bottom