NME Originals: U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone pick up this magazine? I got it last night, it was ten dollars and well worth it. It's basically chock full of NME articles, live reviews, interviews with the band dating back frmo 1980 until recently I suppose. I'm right now reading an interview that was from Feb of 1983 around the time of the WAR album and it's so great reading stuff like this. A lot of things said in these early interviews really put where the band went in it's 20 year history into perspective.

Plus besides the articles and stuff there are tons of photos of the band, some I've never seen before. I recommend picking it up, it's a magazine, but it's almost like a book.

Last edited:
david- Where did you find it??? Which store? Here in San Jose I have been to Borders and B&N with no luck....again as of this morning! :banghead: :scream:

Thanks for that link flamingjune.... I figure that I will wait another week or so to see if it arrives to a store around here?! They have the regular NME at Borders but it is last months, and I ask and they say they have never seen any "Originals" series! They all seemed clueless:huh: so anyways, I will definitely buy it there if I don't find it soon!

david said:

Well, actually, it's me. It was a photo taken by my girlfriend. I wanted an avatar reflective of myself I guess, so I just used myself heh.

:eek: :ohmy: You could be a model. :yes:

I ordered mine online last week, like U2SJ I gave up on waiting, the online bookstore from where I buy my magazines regularly never heard of this NME Originals one. It will be alike my very own Christmas present along with the Best Of DVD. :up:

There's a whole ton of 'em at my Barnes & Noble...I got mine yesterday. I didn't even know about it...I was glancin' through mags, and I saw them on the cover. I thought, oooh! Cover story! Then I realized the whole magazine was about U2, and I was like ------> :hyper:

Hello,

I found this magazine a few weeks ago and of course bought it. Only yesterday did I read the last few articles (hey, don't read too many U2 interviews from too many periods too fast or it wil mess with your head). Like they said in the introduction, it is a very honest collection of NME articles. With honest I mean that they published all (?) articles they had about U2, both the praising ones as the flaming ones (anyone read their opinion about the Zoo TV/Zooropa Tour yet?). After reading through all this, I have a few observations.

- In their War interview U2 said they wanted to have their album (War, that is) remixed by Francois Kevorkian (sp?). That should have sounded interesting, especially with regard to the remixes of the Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop period (Kevorkian did remix Two Hearts Beat As One and New Year's Day, BTW).

- In the same interview (I think) U2 said they were working on a ballet score for a stage performance later that year. Does anyone know if it was ever realised?

- In an October 1987 article NME writes that Island Records say that a proposed live double album will not be released before Christmas. OK, a year later Rattle And Hum was released and that double album was half live. But still... Is there a double live album of the Joshua Tree Tour lying somewhere in Island's vaults.

- Steven Wells' blasting of Zoo TV/Zooropa really deserved the axe Bono send to the offices of NME. I haven't seen many articles that are as poorly written and as poorly documented as that one. A definite lowpoint.

- On the other hand, the report by NME of the Sarajevo concert is a high. Even reading it made me emotional (I think I'm going to play that concert again soon. Don't know if I can keep my eyes dry then). Interestingly, they say that for that concert alone U2 did accept corporate sponsorship (by Coca Cola and a local GSM company), but for Sarajevo they are forgiven.

- I became a fan in 1991, just before Achtung Baby. I grew up in the 'ironic U2' era. But reading the early interviews (up to The Unforgettable Fire) I now know where that opinion of U2 as humourless rockers comes from. Because, while you can read the passion in the early interviews, they are often also so much devoid of relativation (and yes, humour) that the strong focus of the members becomes a negative aspect. I don't think it's just the attitude of the interviewer (as most of the early interviews were made by people who seemed to be supportive of U2), but I think U2 also did not realise enough how they would come over in the media (as Bono said later, their image was not having an image).

In short, I find this collection very interesting and a very nice read (not everything, but I think you guessed that by now). Highly recommended!

C ya!

Marty

I've gone to a couple of places and they don't have this month's yet. I might go and do some checking this afternoon. Can't wait to get a chance to see it!:sexywink:

Last time I was at borders (a few weeks ago) they still had the Oasis one. The one released in June. I'm hoping they just didn't put out the one for the Manics cos no one here has even HEARD of the Manic Street Preachers... maybe I'll brave the cold and walk down there again sometime this week.

They already have it at Barnes & Noble. I hate myself for being impatient and ordering online! It cost $4-5 more.

I got mine last night at Borders as well, but it is called Uncut presents U2, but almost exactly as the NME Originals U2. Uncut appears to be a new magazine in the UK if I'm correct. By the way, this magazine is a must have for all U2 fans. Great articles and pictures of the band.

Chris

I ordered a copy from the NME Originals website (www.nmeoriginals.com) on November 20th and it came in the mail today! (Nov.9th) That took less than 3 weeks to ship from London,UK to BC, Canada. Plus, this is high traffic mail season now! I have some great reading material for the next few nights. Oh, who are we kidding! Once I start reading this, I will not want to put it down until I am done. It is going to be a late night! :happy:

spanisheyes said:
I got mine last night at Borders as well, but it is called Uncut presents U2, but almost exactly as the NME Originals U2. Uncut appears to be a new magazine in the UK if I'm correct. By the way, this magazine is a must have for all U2 fans. Great articles and pictures of the band.

Chris

yeah, it says at the top "original interviews & photos from the archives of NME"
so maybe it just has a name change in the US? anyway, Borders had it today. I only walked what, 1.5 miles from here to get it. A pittance :sexywink:

Popmartijn said:
- I became a fan in 1991, just before Achtung Baby. I grew up in the 'ironic U2' era. But reading the early interviews (up to The Unforgettable Fire) I now know where that opinion of U2 as humourless rockers comes from. Because, while you can read the passion in the early interviews, they are often also so much devoid of relativation (and yes, humour) that the strong focus of the members becomes a negative aspect. I don't think it's just the attitude of the interviewer (as most of the early interviews were made by people who seemed to be supportive of U2), but I think U2 also did not realise enough how they would come over in the media (as Bono said later, their image was not having an image).

In short, I find this collection very interesting and a very nice read (not everything, but I think you guessed that by now). Highly recommended!

C ya!

Marty

I know what you mean. It happens the same with the collection of early Hot Press interviews you can find in the book The U2 File, not an easy reading but all worth for fans.

Great review of the magazine Popmartijn, thanks. :up:

So after work I was on a mission and I went to 2 Borders and then B&N again, and I FOUND It!!!! :D:D:D
Roland, you got it right, I too will be up all night reading this!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom