NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone did their own review article thingy about the 30 second clips. Might as well post it :lol:

Put On Your Boots most upbeat
Tue, February 10, 2009
CD REVIEW: Wal-Mart let its website users in on a sampling of U2's No Line on the Horizon -- for a short while at least

Cedars of Lebanon
"Woke up in my clothes in a dirty heap," Bono rasps over the umpteenth smoky, ambient soundscape. After all those ballads, you'd think they'd go out with a bang, not a whimper. Apparently not -- but time will tell.

A review of 30 second clips?

"Until Bono announces "I wasn't going to buy just anyone's cockatoo, so why would I invite a complete stranger into my home? Would you?" What the . . . ? "

Hey stupid reviewer: if you paid attention to U2 over the years like the rest of us here, you'd know that Bono is saying, in other words, "I'm a wary guy and I don't trust what any repetitious singer tells me to do, without a lot of thought first -- why would I let a singer promising truth and salvation into my world? Would you?" It's a self-deprecating line.

so i saw "Taken" this past weekend. it's really well-made, even if it's politics are shockingly reactionary.

but one of the very, very minor subplots is that Liam Neeson's fatuous 17 year old daughter is sneaking off to Paris to follow U2 around for their European Tour.

the idea of rich-idiot 17 year old girls from LA jetting off to Europe so they can follow U2 around for the summer was probably the most unrealistic part of that movie. yet ... could it have been a plant?

Sure but it could be just as much for the movie to get free press from the U2 name dropping than U2 getting attention. Over the last several years name dropping U2 or Bono guarantees the story spreading globally. Since 90% of news stories these days are recycled from other outlets they are a good bet for getting global coverage. The movie Shooter threw in a Bono reference for seemingly no reason at all but it had the effect of propagating the reviews all over the globe. I think that is part of the cult of Bono bashing as well because nothing gets you free press like taking shots at Bono.

As for that being unrealistic there are some fairly young fans on this very board who would beg to differ with you. :wink:

Dana

so i saw "Taken" this past weekend. it's really well-made, even if it's politics are shockingly reactionary.

but one of the very, very minor subplots is that Liam Neeson's fatuous 17 year old daughter is sneaking off to Paris to follow U2 around for their European Tour.

the idea of rich-idiot 17 year old girls from LA jetting off to Europe so they can follow U2 around for the summer was probably the most unrealistic part of that movie. yet ... could it have been a plant?

i don't think it's that unrealistic to be totally honest.

Bono references in my favorite show 30 Rock.

Jack's Brother Eddie: "Meet Bono and Sandra Day O'Connor!!!" (introducing his fists to Jack)

Liz: "Jenna, have you read your interview yet?"
Jenna: "Uh, no. Did I come off as interesting? Because I tried to mention Bono as much as possible…"

4) Drive by pop culture buzz – small things here and there like their appearance on Entourage last time around, or a general increase of late in allowing the use of their music on other tv shows (it was a big fucking deal in the mid 90s when U2 allowed Friends to use With or Without You, but in the ATYCLB/HTDAAB era its happened quite a lot), and I’d expect to see more cuddling up to much younger acts and celebrities in general. Expect it to get more clever as well. U2 name dropping more frequently, but less of them themselves. So maybe not actual concert footage on Entourage, but maybe U2 weaving somehow into, say, a Gossip Girl story, whether in a big way (The 'I need front row U2 tickets or she won’t sleep with me!' episode) or small (casual name dropping 'oh U2, I loooove them'). Introduce some Teens/Tweens to U2, which, just quietly, they have been doing surprisingly well at this decade.

Or like the Liam Neeson flick Taken, which advertised their 2008 European tour.

I wish they had considered the NLOTH bookends idea.

But maybe COL is just that good of a closer...

Question about Magnificent: Is it "Only love can leave such a scar...leave such a mark...reset your mind"? Is it only one of those or do they all appear in the song? Journalists have reported 3 so i assume they all appear in different parts of the song.

A lot of people on IMDB agree with you, apparently U2 aren't popular anymore and anyone who follows them around deserves to be kidnapped

They should come here :hyper:

Its def the ambient one... There is no way its punkish/ bow wow wow.

Id say NLOTH 2 is the punkish one

unless that version goes completely nuts later on...........i would have to agree. its the more atmospheric one. though it still sounds kinda rocking right at the end of the 30 second clip

unless that version goes completely nuts later on...........i would have to agree. its the more atmospheric one. though it still sounds kinda rocking right at the end of the 30 second clip

listen their cover of Beat on the Brat for punk.

By no definition is this punk, uit is VERY atmospheric. Just because its loud doesnt mean its punk.

I am certain that this is the atmospheric one. Nowhere did they say that the atmospheric one wasn't loud, they just said it was layered

It's on the "what do really do know about NLOTH" thread

Actually, I remember reading a review which said that NLOTH was pretty atmospheric until the final 30 seconds, when there was this massive punk breakdown. So...looks like you hit the nail on the head, Yenlard! :D

From the 30 sec clips

Track 1 sounds good
Track 2 sounds immense
Track 3 sounds Poplike
Track 4 sounds classic U2 like = JT era
Track 5 sounds a bit crap
Track 6 sounds, well you know what it is like - but sounds good in line with other tracks
Track 7 sounds like a filler
Track 8 sounds ok - mentions let me in the sound again
Track 9 sounds amazing
Track 10 sounds like a generic rocker/filler
Track 11 sounds like Please from Pop a little bit

"Until Bono announces "I wasn't going to buy just anyone's cockatoo, so why would I invite a complete stranger into my home? Would you?" What the . . . ? "

Hey stupid reviewer: if you paid attention to U2 over the years like the rest of us here, you'd know that Bono is saying, in other words, "I'm a wary guy and I don't trust what any repetitious singer tells me to do, without a lot of thought first -- why would I let a singer promising truth and salvation into my world? Would you?" It's a self-deprecating line.

Don't be so defensive.

Back
Top Bottom