NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Bono sounds like he is doing a lot of whoa's which is cool as long as the vocals are strong enough.

Bono sounds like he is doing a lot of whoa's which is cool as long as the vocals are strong enough.

Like in Breathe. I really like Breathe. And Magnificent. But I wont keep repeating myself.

To tell you the truth...Pop is a good album...and I still listen to it...but the 'zealots' drive me...:coocoo:...not that I'm not already there...still...:crazy:

:doh:

Since we're talking all tiny, to tell you the truth, I can't even remember the last time I listened to a full U2 album. A couple of years?

Until I listened to the NLOTH clips 42 times today, that is. :topic: :wink:

Being Born sounds rad.
As of now, most excited for No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, and Breathe.

i still dont like the scratchy bono voice, its all-over these 30 sec clips.
but the music it self is the Sex!

you know Shaun, Bono's voice has NEVER been without a certain amount of scratchiness, roughness, etc, if for no other reason because he screamed so much.

I'm listening to Zoo Dublin and I'm sure with some of these songs, if he sang them like that today, it would be called out as "all over the place" or whatev.

It's not that Bono's voice is so very different now, but Bono of days gone by gets away with so much.

yeah seriously....wtf is up with Bono's voice...I mean it sounds great, better than Bomb, much more clear, and he hits the high notes effortlessly it seems....but there's a thinness to it that I was not expecting at all....it takes away the classic Bono epicness that we're so used to hearing...I don't know....I think these 30 second clips are veeeerrryyy deceiving in a lot of ways....I wouldn't be surprised if, when I hear the songs from start to finish, my opinion will be different. However, at this moment, Bono's vocals are not what Danny Lanois and others made it out to be...how many times did he say Bono was "singing like a bird" ?! I mean yeah it sounds great but where is the thickness and POWER that we're used to hearing....the last truly great record for Bono's voice specifically was AB, and every album after that actually got gradually a little worse each time it seems....But I was expecting NLOTH to be the next great one for BonBon....it's not happening so far....but I could very well just be fooled by these short little clips of seemingly completely random sections of each song...

on another note, a very random note......anyone notice the drum fill at the very end of NLOTH clip? sounds pretty cool, I'm lovin it :up:

I can't even remember the last time I listened to a full U2 album. A couple of years?

You know what, this reminds me....... I listened to Bullet The Blue Sky today...the original song, not from live performances or from any other recording and I forgot how much I like that song....that is after playing the complete JT album. I recommend it.

How many, and which, of these tunes makes the live set?

:hmm:

I won't listen to the clips (with 3 weeks to go), but one thing: is Moment of surrender worth the hype ?

He hasn't quite got the Axl twang?

oh please! i think bono is a better singer than axl(80's and achtung bono's voice was the best) just wish these new songs had that power and clarity he once had. but did i mention the music is the Sex.i like how the instruments are nice and clear.

I won't listen to the clips (with 3 weeks to go), but one thing: is Moment of surrender worth the hype ?

Not determinable from the 30seconds.
Could be great.

oh please! i think bono is a better singer than axl(80's and achtung bono's voice was the best) just wish these new songs had that power and clarity he once had. but did i mention the music is the Sex.i like how the instruments are nice and clear.

Hey man I was just messing with you! :wink: How come you become all serious and shit these days? :ohmy: lol.

you know Shaun, Bono's voice has NEVER been without a certain amount of scratchiness, roughness, etc, if for no other reason because he screamed so much.

I'm listening to Zoo Dublin and I'm sure with some of these songs, if he sang them like that today, it would be called out as "all over the place" or whatev.

It's not that Bono's voice is so very different now, but Bono of days gone by gets away with so much.

yeah, I think I agree with you here for the most part....but I think it's because when Bono used to sing with a scratchy or rough voice, it had a youthful sound attached to it that I'm not sure he has anymore. Obviously he's much older now, so that's pretty natural, but I think that's why it stands out more and it gets talked about more so than it did in the past. Before it got passed off as sounding more "cool" than it does now.

yeah, I think I agree with you here for the most part....but I think it's because when Bono used to sing with a scratchy or rough voice, it had a youthful sound attached to it that I'm not sure he has anymore. Obviously he's much older now, so that's pretty natural, but I think that's why it stands out more and it gets talked about more so than it did in the past. Before it got passed off as sounding more "cool" than it does now.
wtf

Exactly. But it's not as if the voice actually sounds any different (in many places it is, in many others it is not), it's just that when Bono was a tot, we think it's cute. Now, we all bite our nails and think ONOEZ! BONOZ ALL OALD N DECREPID OMG!11

whatevs:shrug:

AWESOME!!!!
Bono's Voice is absolutely amazing and Edge is fuckin' on fire!!!

My favorites so far:
DEFINITELY ALL!!!

Sledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom