NLCS Game 7 - They just played Miss Sarajevo at the start... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
The Fly
 
Kildare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 159
Local Time: 09:23 AM
NLCS Game 7 - They just played Miss Sarajevo at the start...

... over a montage of the players. Never thought I'd hear that one during a sports broadcast. Anyone else see that?
__________________

Kildare is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 09:23 AM
What the fuck?
__________________

Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
The Fly
 
Kildare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 159
Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
What the fuck?
Sorry - are you asking that in reference to their choice of song or my post?
Kildare is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kildare


Sorry - are you asking that in reference to their choice of song or my post?
Hehe the song. What an odd song to air. Was this an ESPN broadcast?
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,560
Local Time: 09:23 AM
It was Fox.
randhail is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:23 AM
They just played Elevation as I was about to write this post saying:

I hope Joe Buck followed that up with, "That was Miss Sarajevo, a song by Bono and U2 done under the name Passengers in 1995." with him mispronouncing Sarajevo and making Bono not a part of U2, followed by McCarver saying, "Now, a passenger is someone riding in a vehicle. For example, in a car the passengers are the people riding in the car. Also, in an airplane, it's the people riding the plane."
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,560
Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
They just played Elevation as I was about to write this post saying:

I hope Joe Buck followed that up with, "That was Miss Sarajevo, a song by Bono and U2 done under the name Passengers in 1995." with him mispronouncing Sarajevo and making Bono not a part of U2, followed by McCarver saying, "Now, a passenger is someone riding in a vehicle. For example, in a car the passengers are the people riding in the car. Also, in an airplane, it's the people riding the plane."
I don't think he was making Bono not a part of U2 - it was for the baseball fan who may not recognize U2 if he didn't mention Bono - sort of like when he says "Coming up next Ryan Howard and the Phillies against Pujols and the Cardinals." Give Buck a break. McCarver is fair game though.
randhail is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail


I don't think he was making Bono not a part of U2 - it was for the baseball fan who may not recognize U2 if he didn't mention Bono - sort of like when he says "Coming up next Ryan Howard and the Phillies against Pujols and the Cardinals." Give Buck a break. McCarver is fair game though.
I don't know if he did that, I'm just guessing he did. They always do.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
sue4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Posts: 6,628
Local Time: 08:23 AM
Oh my God... I'm glad I missed that..
sue4u2 is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 09:23 AM
Indeed
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,435
Local Time: 05:23 AM
Bill Simmons noticed, too. I hope it goes up on YouTube shortly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/061020
Quote:
5:01 -- Decent opening Goosebump Montage by Fox with that weird U2 song that features the classical singer. That's followed by Jeanne Zelasko calling Game 7 "one of the most magical nights in all of sports." Even with Jeff Suppan and Oliver Perez prominently involved? We might need a ruling on this.
mobvok is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I hope Joe Buck followed that up with, "That was Miss Sarajevo, a song by Bono and U2 done under the name Passengers in 1995." with him mispronouncing Sarajevo and making Bono not a part of U2, followed by McCarver saying, "Now, a passenger is someone riding in a vehicle. For example, in a car the passengers are the people riding in the car. Also, in an airplane, it's the people riding the plane."
Oh my god, that is too funny! (and sad)
coolian2 is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


I hope Joe Buck followed that up with, "That was Miss Sarajevo, a song by Bono and U2 done under the name Passengers in 1995." with him mispronouncing Sarajevo and making Bono not a part of U2, followed by McCarver saying, "Now, a passenger is someone riding in a vehicle. For example, in a car the passengers are the people riding in the car. Also, in an airplane, it's the people riding the plane."
And then Joe said that he heard from anonymous sources that Tony La Russa was a CIA operative in Sarajevo- that's why he keeps those shades on all the time, to hide his identity. Then Tim said- Hey, just like that Bowno guy does. Is there a secret connection between Bono and Tony LaRussa? Could they actually be the same person? Hey Kevin and Jeanne, what do you think?

That was the weirdest choice ever for a sports broadcast
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
New Yorker
 
The Disciple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,603
Local Time: 08:23 AM
Joe Buck is a fing idiot.
The Disciple is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,212
Local Time: 01:23 PM
I saw it... they were actually playing some really good background music during the game, I thought.
The_acrobat is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #16
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 108
Local Time: 08:23 AM
Do all you guys realize that Joe Buck never really said that? It was a joke by Phillyfan26!!

And I think Joe Buck is a great broadcast man.
randy5554 is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randy5554

And I think Joe Buck is a great broadcast man.
Do you want to touch his throat when he says "swing and a miss"?
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
The Fly
 
Kildare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 159
Local Time: 09:23 AM
Bill Simmons claims U2 is his favorite band and he doesn't know that its called Miss Sarajevo and Pavarotti is "that classical singer"? Oh well, he did write that cool "Who is the U2 of sports?" column a few years back.
Kildare is offline  
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kildare
Bill Simmons claims U2 is his favorite band and he doesn't know that its called Miss Sarajevo and Pavarotti is "that classical singer"? Oh well, he did write that cool "Who is the U2 of sports?" column a few years back.
Yes, it was Jack Nicklaus, because no major sport player had that long of a successful career. He said even that didn't do U2 justice.

And he's all about pop culture, so he's more of a "knows a little of everything" guy, and U2 is his favorite from that. I doubt he's diehard enough to know the name and the type of backup singer. Miss Sarajevo isn't THAT well known.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #20
The Fly
 
Kildare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 159
Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


Yes, it was Jack Nicklaus, because no major sport player had that long of a successful career. He said even that didn't do U2 justice.

And he's all about pop culture, so he's more of a "knows a little of everything" guy, and U2 is his favorite from that. I doubt he's diehard enough to know the name and the type of backup singer. Miss Sarajevo isn't THAT well known.
True, but Pavarotti is very well known, and as a borderline expert on pop culture as Simmons is, like you mentioned, you would think he would know that it was Pavarotti.
__________________

Kildare is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×