NLCS Game 7 - They just played Miss Sarajevo at the start...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kildare

The Fly
... over a montage of the players. Never thought I'd hear that one during a sports broadcast. Anyone else see that?

Kildare said:

Sorry - are you asking that in reference to their choice of song or my post?
Hehe the song. What an odd song to air. Was this an ESPN broadcast?

They just played Elevation as I was about to write this post saying:

I hope Joe Buck followed that up with, "That was Miss Sarajevo, a song by Bono and U2 done under the name Passengers in 1995." with him mispronouncing Sarajevo and making Bono not a part of U2, followed by McCarver saying, "Now, a passenger is someone riding in a vehicle. For example, in a car the passengers are the people riding in the car. Also, in an airplane, it's the people riding the plane."

phillyfan26 said:
They just played Elevation as I was about to write this post saying:

I hope Joe Buck followed that up with, "That was Miss Sarajevo, a song by Bono and U2 done under the name Passengers in 1995." with him mispronouncing Sarajevo and making Bono not a part of U2, followed by McCarver saying, "Now, a passenger is someone riding in a vehicle. For example, in a car the passengers are the people riding in the car. Also, in an airplane, it's the people riding the plane."

I don't think he was making Bono not a part of U2 - it was for the baseball fan who may not recognize U2 if he didn't mention Bono - sort of like when he says "Coming up next Ryan Howard and the Phillies against Pujols and the Cardinals." Give Buck a break. McCarver is fair game though.

randhail said:

I don't think he was making Bono not a part of U2 - it was for the baseball fan who may not recognize U2 if he didn't mention Bono - sort of like when he says "Coming up next Ryan Howard and the Phillies against Pujols and the Cardinals." Give Buck a break. McCarver is fair game though.

I don't know if he did that, I'm just guessing he did. They always do.

Bill Simmons noticed, too. I hope it goes up on YouTube shortly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061020
5:01 -- Decent opening Goosebump Montage by Fox with that weird U2 song that features the classical singer. That's followed by Jeanne Zelasko calling Game 7 "one of the most magical nights in all of sports." Even with Jeff Suppan and Oliver Perez prominently involved? We might need a ruling on this.

phillyfan26 said:

Oh my god, that is too funny! (and sad)

phillyfan26 said:

And then Joe said that he heard from anonymous sources that Tony La Russa was a CIA operative in Sarajevo- that's why he keeps those shades on all the time, to hide his identity. Then Tim said- Hey, just like that Bowno guy does. Is there a secret connection between Bono and Tony LaRussa? Could they actually be the same person? Hey Kevin and Jeanne, what do you think?

That was the weirdest choice ever for a sports broadcast :huh:

I saw it... they were actually playing some really good background music during the game, I thought.

Do all you guys realize that Joe Buck never really said that? It was a joke by Phillyfan26!!

And I think Joe Buck is a great broadcast man.

Bill Simmons claims U2 is his favorite band and he doesn't know that its called Miss Sarajevo and Pavarotti is "that classical singer"? Oh well, he did write that cool "Who is the U2 of sports?" column a few years back.

Kildare said:
Bill Simmons claims U2 is his favorite band and he doesn't know that its called Miss Sarajevo and Pavarotti is "that classical singer"? Oh well, he did write that cool "Who is the U2 of sports?" column a few years back.

Yes, it was Jack Nicklaus, because no major sport player had that long of a successful career. He said even that didn't do U2 justice.

And he's all about pop culture, so he's more of a "knows a little of everything" guy, and U2 is his favorite from that. I doubt he's diehard enough to know the name and the type of backup singer. Miss Sarajevo isn't THAT well known.

phillyfan26 said:

Yes, it was Jack Nicklaus, because no major sport player had that long of a successful career. He said even that didn't do U2 justice.

And he's all about pop culture, so he's more of a "knows a little of everything" guy, and U2 is his favorite from that. I doubt he's diehard enough to know the name and the type of backup singer. Miss Sarajevo isn't THAT well known.

True, but Pavarotti is very well known, and as a borderline expert on pop culture as Simmons is, like you mentioned, you would think he would know that it was Pavarotti.

There are lots of U2 fans who have no idea about the Passengers, and though Simmons probably heard Miss Sarajevo on tour or on the 90-00 greatest hits disc, it may be he didn't know it was Pavarotti.

Back
Top Bottom