Night and Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Cat Gav

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Night and day

This song is without doubt my favourite U2 cover version, I'd even go as far as to say that it's one of my favourite songs of all time. It came out at a pivotal time for U2, just after the magnificent Lovetown tour, after they decided they needed to go and "dream it all up again" and were now searching for a new direction. I was a little concerned, I was 15 and waiting anxiously for the next U2 album, I'd liked Rattle and Hum but I was a little disappointed by it too, not living up to the promise of TUF and TJT, what would be coming next?? When i heard Night and Day I was so relieved!! As part of the Cole Porter Aids benefit album, Red Hot and Blue, I first saw it on Channel 4, an hour long show featuring many if not all of the albums video, each video directed by a famous director, Night and Day was of course directed by the legendary Wim Wenders. On a personal note, I had heard that day that a good schoolfriend of mine had slit his wrists and killed himself, as you can imagine that was devastating, my head was all over the place, i didnt return to school that afternoon and just wandered around questioning what's the point of life and all the rest of that teenage angst stuff. So anyway, I get home and eventually the Red Hot and Blue show comes on and almost immediately I get hit with Night and Day, the nightmarish video and sounds coming at me blew me away. This tale of obsession to the point of murder-suicide totally hit home with me, my friend had committed suicide partly because of being dumped by a girl he was obsessed with, the part in the video with the razorblade was eerily relevent. Having gone through a few heartbreaks myself since then I can empathise more and more with that song, it totally hits the nail on the head with regard to unrequited love bordering on obsession, and how unhealthy this can become. Even now, I am happily married I still get taken back to that sense of lonliness and obsession whenever I hear that song. For U2 it also pointed them in a new direction, not just sonically and thematically too. In my humble opinion this song is an absolute masterpiece, and the video too.
Big shame it wasn't released as a single :-((

Anybody else like it?

I have the same thoughts about the song.
It was a long wait between Rattle and Hum and AB. And it was the first new thing from U2 in a while.. I was also 15 years and although I already had Rattle and hum and UABRS, it was the first time I was really waiting for something new from U2. And 2-3 years was in those days a long time..

And I absolutely adored the track.
It is by far their best cover. (I am not really a fan of the covers U2 did)

This is one of my favorites songs (not)by U2, I think Bono's voice is brilliant on this song, also I think this song got one of the highest falsetto he ever have hit :)

Their best cover, amazing song and the live 2003 version is incredible.

They did such a great job on this song, I feel it almost become their own. I was completely blown away when I heard this in 1990. Throw in "Wild Irish Rose" around the same time and you have two of the most atmospheric U2 songs ever. I would love for them to get back to a sound similar to this (obviously updated) on their next album.

yeah. that live version is pretty good. i was worried before i listened to it, thinking bono's voice, circa 2003, wouldn't be able to pull it off. but he did so nicely.

Great song. A real message to the fans about what was to come. Very exciting for me personally.

kingofsorrow said:

somebody educate me. what is this? is it a link? what do i do?

you copy and paste it into the url bar in your internet browser and eliminate the spaces between "you send it"

kingofsorrow said:

somebody educate me. what is this? is it a link? what do i do?

copy and paste to your brouser and remove the spaces between you send it , the link will then take you to download the song .

When U2 released Night and Day in 1990, it let me know that whatever U2 were working on in the studio was going to be fuckin' awesome.

MrBrau1 said:
thay actually made the tone of the song obsessive and ominous.

Yeah, I mean they did so much with that song it still amazes me today. It's their best cover, and on somedays I would say it's the best cover...but that's only somedays.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom