NFL scrub officials- what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumn454

War Child
Today was the first day of the NFL season, and the league is using 'scrub' officials because of the strike. I saw some bad calls today, some very bad calls, but the regular officials make terrible calls too, so maybe it doesn't matter who is in that Zebra suit. Those of you who watched the games, what do you think? Should the NFL get the real officials back or tell them to take a hike and hire others? I could do just as good as them! Opinions please!

Baseball dumped the umps after their mass resignation, and they're doing just fine. I've only seen parts of a couple of games (NY Jets-Indianapolis, KC-Oakland, St Louis-Philly), and for the most part the calls seem to be fine. There were a few questionable calls, but not really any more than usual. I think they'll do just as good a job as the regular refs.

------------------
Change is the only constant

They SUCK!!
The main official calling the Dallas/Tampa Bay game didn't appear to know what planet he was on! And they gave 3 HORRIBLE calls against dallas in a row which was very costly in time of possession for them. However, they didn't seem to notice dallas' defense encroachment 2x so I won't complain there!

They cost my Packers a touchdown today.

Bernardo Harris recovered a fumble and wasn't touched by a Detroit player. So he got up and ran for a touchdown, but the refs blew the damn whistle!

It's not like the Packers needed that touchdown anyway cause they kicked ass!

There was a bad call in the Indianapolis/Jets game, but it turned out to be insignificant. Edgerrin James clearly broke the plane of the goal twice on a second down play, but he was not given a touchdown. On third down, he bulled clearly into the end zone and got the touchdown. The Colts ended up winning by so much it didn't matter, but what if that touchdown had been denied and held the team to a field goal, and they lost the game by two points? That could make a difference.

In the Minnesota/Carolina game, there was a deadly call. A Panther punched a Viking, who retaliated and was called half the distance to the goal, even though it should have been offsetting. On the next play, Culpepper, backed up to his own end zone because of the bad call, threw a costy interception in his own territory. This disaster sent the Vikings into a position it was too late to recover from and they lost. If not for that call, they may have scored and eventually won.

If they have some bad calls, it will be the same for both teams. Keep the refs I say. If they want to work, pay them. Ditch those commie union louses.

Yeah, they pretty much suck ass. They gave the Eagles a gift touchdown against my Rams today in a game that should have been won by the start of the 4th quarter. I thought there had to be INDISPUTABLE evidence to reverse a call after a review?? To me, there just wasn't any way to assume that the ball had broken the plane of the goal line and scored. They gave them the touchdown anyway, but my Rams pulled it out in the end!
Warner to Bruce and a Wilkins FG in OT.

I saw some bad calls on NFL Primetime, but the game I watched, Bears vs Ravens, was called very well for the most part...Unfortunately, the players didnt do their job...GO BEARS !!

aaron

Originally posted by Dreamboat Annie:
In the Minnesota/Carolina game, there was a deadly call. A Panther punched a Viking, who retaliated and was called half the distance to the goal, even though it should have been offsetting. On the next play, Culpepper, backed up to his own end zone because of the bad call, threw a costy interception in his own territory. This disaster sent the Vikings into a position it was too late to recover from and they lost. If not for that call, they may have scored and eventually won.

sounds like a good call to me...

aaron

Originally posted by edge22:
Yeah, they pretty much suck ass. They gave the Eagles a gift touchdown against my Rams today in a game that should have been won by the start of the 4th quarter. I thought there had to be INDISPUTABLE evidence to reverse a call after a review?? To me, there just wasn't any way to assume that the ball had broken the plane of the goal line and scored. They gave them the touchdown anyway, but my Rams pulled it out in the end!
Warner to Bruce and a Wilkins FG in OT.
Have to disagree with you there. The Rams have been my fave team for 22 years, but I must admit that it looked plainly like a touchdown to me. I couldn't see the ball (the guy's back was to the camera), but based on his body's position, you know where the football was.

the_rehersal, what happened was the Panther punched the Viking and the Viking threw the football at him. They were both guity, but it should have been offsetting penalties. It isn't fair for the one who started the fight to get away with it. The only way you could think that was fair is if you are a Panthers fan, are you?

------------------
"Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage."

Back
Top Bottom