Next tour they better bring back Gone!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

What ya think?

Should they bring back Gone on the next tour????

It was super on Popmart.
It was :drool: on Elevation.

I think it definetly should make a return.
( just like The Electric Co:wink: )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

When I first bought Pop I used to listen to this song every single day I loved it so much, I still think its one of their very best. Edges soaring guitar, Bono's awesome lyrics and that brilliant middle eight, sends chills up my spine. I never liked the version they put on the Best of though, they should've left it as it was.

My favourite versions
Tibet 97 Great raw Bono vocals
Leeds 97 :drool:
Barcelona 97 Pretty intense stuff

I really hope they don't forget about it and give it a few airings next tour, it doesn't deserve to be another lost Pop song.

I was actually just listening to Gone the other day (Pop version). Song is really special. I think Pop would have done a bit better (sales wise) if Gone was the lead single.

I've always found it very bleh, personally. The guitar mostly is scratchy to me...I guess it's a good rock vocal. It's probably one of the best pop-rock songs they've done, but it bores me in that respect. Some days the lyrics seem boring, and sometimes they seem boring but a little more interesting if applied to a more...easily related to situation. I read someone describe it as a lounge-lizard song once, because of the piano, but really, I don't find the bridge that impressive. I appreciate it, but it's nothing special.

Not raw, just blatant, and I'm just rambling now.

Definitely one of their best songs. It's already the most performed song from Pop, but it still hasn't been played enough times.

Axver said:
Definitely one of their best songs. It's already the most performed song from Pop, but it still hasn't been played enough times.

Would you agree that it was one of the highlights of the Elevation tour, Axver? I actually prefer it to the Popmart version.

Scorpionac said:
Why is it so respected around here? Could somebody explain that to me?

• Great lyrics, and "you can keep this suit of lights/I'm not coming down" is a fan favorite
  • Awesome Edge guitar riff...he goes wild in that song
  • The piano adds a creepy contrast that I love

It's just a good song...what's to explain?

There are a couple of other songs on that POP album they should remind of, beside Gone, Please, Mofo, Discotheque or Last Night On Earth..................:uhoh:
Why do U2 always ignore Pop and Zooropa............
Ah, it's always the old story, we always will have the usual Bullet the blue sky, pride, with or without you and co. Songs which actually no longer work live. Time to bring back those top albums live

LemonMelon said:
Would you agree that it was one of the highlights of the Elevation tour, Axver? I actually prefer it to the Popmart version.

It's one of the reasons why I don't totally hate the first two legs of Elevation. Gone was scintillating on that tour and definitely topped the Popmart version. There's a performance from sometime in May 2001 ... the 6th, perhaps? that I think is the best Gone ever.

Scorpionac said:
Why is it so respected around here? Could somebody explain that to me?

As Lemel said, awesome lyrics, the intro, terrific edge, adam and larry, great vocal delivery from bono, and its also one of the few real rock songs i know of which are really quite emotional. the way bono sings it is amazing.

LemonMelon said:

• Great lyrics, and "you can keep this suit of lights/I'm not coming down" is a fan favorite
  • Awesome Edge guitar riff...he goes wild in that song
  • The piano adds a creepy contrast that I love

It's just a good song...what's to explain?
Don't forget the bass :drool:

I was just listening to my rip of the Elevation Boston one (complete with EDGE-SMASH!), and the bass sounded so good and loud and awesome :drool:

what's so good about this song? ...

Gone is too slow and bland for my taste... I mean.. they have better songs... you can't even jump up and down to this song :grumpy:

Even Better Than The Real Thing is 100 times better

babyman said:
There are a couple of other songs on that POP album they should remind of, beside Gone, Please, Mofo, Discotheque or Last Night On Earth..................:uhoh:
Why do U2 always ignore Pop and Zooropa............
Ah, it's always the old story, we always will have the usual Bullet the blue sky, pride, with or without you and co. Songs which actually no longer work live. Time to bring back those top albums live

"Dirty Day" live :drool:

Gone is one of the greatest rock songs ever! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'll never understand why it wasn't chosen for a single. It would have been huge. Also it's full of contrasts of emotions, it kind of creeps in on you.

"Haunting" is a perfect word for the whole song, europop!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom