Next single is All Because of You (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
If U2 was shooting the video for "All Because of You" today in NYC, is it safe to assume that we now know the next single? I thought I'd heard it was going to be "Sometimes You Can't Make It..." but apparently not? Curious as to what you guys think.

I think ABOY is a better second single. U2 has a rep right now of being a bit low key and soft. Hitting the ground running with Vertigo and ABOY is exactly what they need.

SYMOYO - 3
CFYT - 4
Miracle Drug - 5
OOTS - 6

It will vary depending on the market. Look for SYCMIOYO to be a single in Europe next, while ABOY here, then they'll swap … the usual deal. my guess anyway …

I'm not sure ABOY is radio material. If the Who came out nowadays they'd never get radio play. Sad but true.

p.s.- But DAMN, it's a great song isn't it? :drool:

Matthew_Page2000 said:
I'm not sure ABOY is radio material. If the Who came out nowadays they'd never get radio play. Sad but true.

p.s.- But DAMN, it's a great song isn't it? :drool:

I agree - but I think that might the point - I don't think U2 want to play it safe - SYCMOYO is a beautiful song heartbreakingly so but it would end up on the adult contemporary charts and I think that U2 are enjoying cracking into the modern rock charts

plus the song rocks:)

Before I heard the album, I saw a fair few negative jabs at ABOY, and now that I've got HTDAAB I am amazed at these people..just a great, great song, and one of U2's best rockers IMO.

This song is perfect for radio. It rocks, it's catchy and it's short.

U2 had great succes in 1991/92 releasing "The Fly" (a rocking song) followed by "Mysterious Ways" (another rocking song) then with "One" (a slow song). "Vertigo" is a far more radio-friendly song than "The Fly" and subsequently a bigger hit. If U2 follow this with "All Because of You", they'll be repeating the AB song release pattern, which could be a very good thing. Then after hearing two rocking songs, a song like "Something..." will be fantastic. It'll offer a great break from the rocking songs and possibly fly up the charts like "One".

So I think if "All Because of You" is the second single, it's not a bad thing. However, if "Something..." is released next, that could work too. :yes:

Dalton said:
I think ABOY is a better second single. U2 has a rep right now of being a bit low key and soft. Hitting the ground running with Vertigo and ABOY is exactly what they need.

SYMOYO - 3
CFYT - 4
Miracle Drug - 5
OOTS - 6

A Man and a Woman - 7
City Of Blinding Lights - 8
Yahweh - 9

Maybe?

Here's how I would release the singles after All Because of You:

3. Original of the Species
4. Miracle Drug
5. City of Blinding Lights
6. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Miracle Drug or Origional of the SPecies should be second single and sometimes you cant make it on your own should be third.

All because of you, the first chorus is the worst moment on the album...in my opinion

I really didnt wanna see ABOY as a single. Not yet anyway. They need to reach a different audience next. They've done the catchy rock number...next should be a ballad. SYCMIOYO or OOTS

Our radio station has been playing ABOY since last week & it sounds great on radio, & a little weird between songs by Green Day or Chevelle.

Fine by me, one of my faves.

As long as Sometimes... and Original of the species are singles, I am happy.

XRT in Chicago has been playing it consistently, along with Vertigo, since they got the album almost 2 weeks ago.

I think that in order to really "mix up" the rock world they have to grab attention in the first two singles (Vertigo and ABOY) and then once they have the attention, break everyone's hearts with Sometimes... Then to grab attention again, I'm thinking COBL or Love and Peace and then Original... to cap off the singles.

So, 5 singles in all.
(btw, I wish CFYT could be a single, I love that song, it's my fav on the album, but it won't happen.:( )

I bought the album today at Target, and a little sticker was on it that reads: "Featuring Vertigo & All Because of You". That seems to confirm that ABOY will be the next single.

I think the singles will be released like this:

1. Vertigo
2. All Because of You
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Miracle Drug
5. City of Blinding Lights

my opinion on the order of the singles...including average radio listener opinion:

1 Vertigo (crazy rockin punk song...is this u2?)
2 ABOY (classic rock tune...woh, this sounds different)
3 Miracle Drug (holy crap it IS u2!! -- coincides with 25 yrs of U2 thing)
4 COBL (holy crap they can still write anthems!)
5 OOTS (holy crap i'm crying!) <--for the ladies

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom