New York show was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladywithspinninghead

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Can't write much as I'm at some internet cafe in Times Square and my ears are still ringing!!

However, a few highlights to hold you all over:

- Bono picked out a woman to play his guitar!!!
(I"ve met her a few times and she's an absolute fanatic so really deserves it! She was right on the tip of the heart and held up a sign which had the chords for Knocking on Heaven's Door then it said: "Chicks can play guitar, too!"
Bono said: "Americans know it pays to advertise!"
It was great...her and Edge were strumming away...(Bono got her to sing and she sang something about "we don't want a war...New York is the greatest city....Knockin' on Heaven's Door" - Bono's wide grin reflected his approval!

- They ended the first part of the show with New York...however, right near the end this woman climbed onto the catwalk. She had a t-shirt which read "I LOVE N.Y." so the crowd went berserk! She was attempting to dirty dance with Bono - he gave in for a few mins. but then took her, flipped her over his shoulders and brought her to the main stage...then it gets fuzzy because I was on the tip of the heart but from my angle, it looks like he turns her so he's still holding her but with her legs wrapped around his waist! (he's standing up, too)..then of course she starts gyrating...well Bono then put her back into the crowd and said something about knowing not to mess with New York women!

- He muttered something at one point about the "greatest band on earth in the greatest city on earth"
(he made a lot of references to New York city during the show which garnered lots of cheers as you can imagine)

- The second encore ended with Pride and actually they showed the footage of MLK they used to use in their previous tour where he talks about not knowing if he can get there with them, but "we as a people will get to the promised land"...very touching...

- He made a lot of references to the fact that today the IRA has decided to decommission and probably means the greatest achievement for Ireland the peace process. He showed his pleasure over this a few times by referring to it in SBS at the end...(and also during "One"). (Actually during SBS, just before they start up again, Bono gave the others the signal to stop playing..so Bono started talking about the IRA's decision to decommission, well when he was done he motioned for them to start up that last half - however, by that point, Edge and Adam had already changed their guitars and basses so it sounded extremely strange and the crowd hardly sang along as a result...Bono was laughing about it later)...

Okay, I'll let you guys read this while I think of other stuff!

Another touching moment was right at the beginning...before he really even started singing Elevation (I think), he said "Didn't think we'd return did you??" ...

He alluded to this again near the end of the show when he said he was "proud of the fact that" we went ahead with the show or something like that...

He was on top, top form tonight...

wow!!!
eek.gif
my God what a night, wish I had been there...

great re-cap (and so few typos!)

so now how can you be in NY and not go to night 2?!?!

Damn, I missed a great concert tonight. I really wanted to go to the 1st show but could only get tix for the 10/25 show. I wanted to ask you about how the security was at MSG? Did they allow any bags, purses, cameras and did they make one go through metal detectors etc.? I just wanted to know beforehand so that I don't bring any of this stuff tommorrow. Thanks

Yes, Wanderer...I'm wondering the same myself!!!!

Anyways, Lise...first of all, of all the places I've queued up for G.A., this was def. the best - no barricades...access to all the shops, restaurants (some guy was writing the number at the beginning of the queue...extremely, extremely orderly and everyone respected it!) The looks of all the New Yorker's faces seeing us queued up in Midtown Manhattan was too funny! (One asked if the show itself was going to be on the sidewalk! The best however was one who asked if we were queueing up for auditions!!!!!lol!!!)

Anyways, this woman (Trish, loud blonde woman) who works for MSG came out at about 17:00 and explained all the rules...She said "no knifes, no guns, nothing that can be construed as a weapon, no napsack, no CAMERAS, no anthrax" (she actually said this!!)
However, they said small ladies' purses were allowed...well we all got rid of our cameras but in the end, security was kind of slack!
They didn't check for cameras at all!!!
(which really pisses me off because this was the best spot I've ever had!)
So, yes, definitely - I say go for it..no problem with bringing a camera! (although the woman will tell you time and time again that you can't!)

Thanks for the info Lady! I guess I'll bring a small purse. I was getting worried since I heard that security was going to be tight and that absolutely NO bags were allowed. So there were no metal detectors one had to go through? Can't wait till tomorrow. Thanks again

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Can't write much as I'm at some internet cafe in Times Square and my ears are still ringing!!

However, a few highlights to hold you all over:

- Bono picked out a woman to play his guitar!!!
(I"ve met her a few times and she's an absolute fanatic so really deserves it! She was right on the tip of the heart and held up a sign which had the chords for Knocking on Heaven's Door then it said: "Chicks can play guitar, too!"
Bono said: "Americans know it pays to advertise!"
It was great...her and Edge were strumming away...(Bono got her to sing and she sang something about "we don't want a war...New York is the greatest city....Knockin' on Heaven's Door" - Bono's wide grin reflected his approval!

- They ended the first part of the show with New York...however, right near the end this woman climbed onto the catwalk. She had a t-shirt which read "I LOVE N.Y." so the crowd went berserk! She was attempting to dirty dance with Bono - he gave in for a few mins. but then took her, flipped her over his shoulders and brought her to the main stage...then it gets fuzzy because I was on the tip of the heart but from my angle, it looks like he turns her so he's still holding her but with her legs wrapped around his waist! (he's standing up, too)..then of course she starts gyrating...well Bono then put her back into the crowd and said something about knowing not to mess with New York women!

- He muttered something at one point about the "greatest band on earth in the greatest city on earth"
(he made a lot of references to New York city during the show which garnered lots of cheers as you can imagine)

- The second encore ended with Pride and actually they showed the footage of MLK they used to use in their previous tour where he talks about not knowing if he can get there with them, but "we as a people will get to the promised land"...very touching...

- He made a lot of references to the fact that today the IRA has decided to decommission and probably means the greatest achievement for Ireland the peace process. He showed his pleasure over this a few times by referring to it in SBS at the end...(and also during "One"). (Actually during SBS, just before they start up again, Bono gave the others the signal to stop playing..so Bono started talking about the IRA's decision to decommission, well when he was done he motioned for them to start up that last half - however, by that point, Edge and Adam had already changed their guitars and basses so it sounded extremely strange and the crowd hardly sang along as a result...Bono was laughing about it later)...

Okay, I'll let you guys read this while I think of other stuff!
[/QUOTe
HI;
THERE WAS THIS GIRL NAMED JULIE AT CHICAGO 2 THAT HAD A SIGN THAT READ THIS CHICK PLAYS A MEAN GUITAR. SHE WAS FROM ONTARIO. I WONDER IF THIS WAS THE SAME GIRL? SHE WAS PRETTY COOL. SHE HUNG OUT W/ US SOME OF THE DAY AND WAS REALLY WANTING TO GET ON STAGE AND PLAY. I HOPE SHE FINALLY GOT HER WISH. SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT GOING TO NY BUT NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT GOING TO THE SHOW. WELL HATS OFF TO WINDSOR IF SHE FINALLY GOT HER WISH!

thats awesome Julie!

you are just the travel bunny, arent you?
*sigh*
Damn these people who keep getting on stage!

Hope you found a way to go again tonight
smile.gif

-------------
Bebe:
Bono's Dancing Queen

It was an absolutely amazing night. I got there at 3:30 and Starr and I were 219 and 220 in line. Couple extra things:

-if you in line today, keep your eyes peeled. Around 4:30, these black Cadillacs start driving by. I look over at and said "Hmm...that guy in the back looks familiarohmygod its Larry! LARRY!" he smiled and waved. a couple people in line didn't even realize he drove by.

-met Ruth in line-- she was there with Ally and showed me her sign. Before Bono pulled her up to play guitar, he was mouthing to her "Promise? Promise?" I guess he wanted to make sure chicks could really play guitar. she was great!

-Was about 15 people from the tip of the heart on the outside, closer to Edge's side. After Until the End, Bono was laying on the catwalk right in front of me. AHHHHHHH!!!!!

-WTSHNN- "see the dust cloud disappear without a trace" got a huge cheer

-during One they ran the names of those who were killed on the terrorist flights then NYPD and FDNY who were killed which got a huge response. And while that was going on, they were running the names of WTC victims all over the crowd and the ceiling. I cried. It was amazing.

anyways, a really great show. when they were walking off stage, Edge stopped one last time and threw his fist in the air. as Bono was walking down the stairs, he did the same thing sort of-- almost a fist up in triumph.

i'm glad it was a great show for all of you. new york deserves the best, and nothing's better then U2!!!!!

smile.gif

------------------
?Hard as it is to keep it together, it is still possible to have those moments when it?s just the four of you being able to keep the rest of the world out... and that?s what it?s all about.?
-Adam

Love,
Emily

She wore lemon, but never in the daylight...

thefly74, I saw the girl with the "chicks play a mean guitar" sign in Chicago also, and my first thought was also to wonder if it was the same girl. . . that may be what Bono meant when he said it pays to advertise - because that's exactly what Bono said to the guy who got on stage to play piano for Stay in Chicago 5/12/01 - this guy (Jonathan, I think) said he showed Bono the same sign in Milwaukee and Indianapolis before finally being allowed to do it in Chicago.

Thanks for the wonderful reviews!!!!!!

------------------
Ready for the Laughing Gas

And tonight is my night... can't wait.

And they even have No Doubt as an opener, not bad, not bad.

It's done. I won't be able to work today.

that's awesome ladywithspinninghead!! great review, now i really can't wait for tonight..

thanks for the info bout cameras too cos i was hoping to get one in

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

Sad Eyed Lady (aka Ruth) was also at Chicago#2. It was her birthday in fact, and she had a rather lengthy sign saying that it was her b-day and she wanted to play Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Unfortunately, we were at the front of the stage rather than the tip, so she didn't get her wish that night. Knowing that she was going to more shows, we suggested that she keep trying, but at the tip of the heart (like Jonathan did). I also told her that I knew a sign she could use that would guarantee her getting up there as well..."Chicks can play guitar, too!" (a slight dig at the fact that the only female I can remember Bono ever bringing on stage to play guitar was Maria McKee back in '89?, who was the lead singer of Lone Justice...U2's opening act). Way to go Ruth!!! Whooohooo!!!!
biggrin.gif

Well after writing this review last night I went and saw Ruth. She was on Cloud 9 to say the least! She also had the fortune of meeting Larry after the show and her friend said "Out of Control was great" and Ruth said "You don't have to guess which was my favourite song tonight" to which he laughed. (He also autographed the sign she had held up)

Hmm...if you think her U2 stories are good, ask her about her Bruce Springsteen ones!!!

p.s.: During "Walk On", he sang "Home is where New York is"...
And during "One", he talked about everyone belonging in New York...whether muslims, black, jewish, weirdoes, rock stars (pointing at himself!). How growing up it was difficult being Irish and going to Britain...but in New York it wasn't like that...Everyone was welcome and felt like they belonged...

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 10-25-2001).]

Thanks Lady and sharky, I love to read all these great reviews.

For U2@NYC,
Pablo dear, I hope you have the time of your life tonight
wink.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Okay, I'm a self-professed Bonoholic...
and er, well, to be honest..Larry was always my least favourite member...

Well not anymore!!!!!

Move over Bono!!!

All 3 band members came out after the show tonight separately (Adam only waved from his car).

Well Larry stayed about 25 mins signing autographs and getting photos...well, he didn't have anything to write with or on so during the ENTIRE time he was there, he used my pen and my book. So during that time, I had to hold the book while he signed..i.e., I got to stand right next to him for this time...and the one time where I moved so he could be in a photo, he exclaimed "where's that book, girl!"...we chatted a bit..he was so incredibly lovely....so incredibly patient with everyone...stayed until every person got their autograph and photo. I had told him at one point that I wanted a photo before he left so he said "well, I think that's about it..." then turned to me and said "so, you want a photo now?"...Oh sorry about all the details but it was just so wonderful..He was so incredibly polite, too...

Anyways, I was so completely mesmerized that when Edge and Bono came out later, I was a bit blase about it!!!!

Weird...never thought I'd see the day!

It was incredible Amanda...I've met Bono and Edge a few times before but this was different...I just didn't expect Larry to be this well, um, er, nice!!! So incredibly accommodating...so incredibly polite!

When Bono came out, I kind of hovered in the background, still in shock...To be kind of indifferent about Bono's presence surprises me - and for Larry to be the reason shocks me more!

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 10-25-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom