New York live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge

The Fly
I just got the Boston Elevation Dvd. very impressive. And I think New York is an absolutely stunning live song. quite possibly the best one on the dvd and that's saying a lot. just the whole environment of black and white and Edge's awesome twist in the refrain and Bono's zombie walk near the end. just the majesty of it all. Oh, it's too much!

so I was wondering if anyone else shares this appreciation or is it some quark of mine?

GREAT live tune. Ok on the record, the it gains so much more muscle live. Really reminds me of "old" Boy, October era U2 style of songs.

I don't love "New York" as a song, but I think it does play well live. They did the song on David Letterman, and I remembering thinking at the time that it was a great live version.

(Edit to add that I love the sound of "New York". It's the lyrics that I don't really care for.)

Last edited:
I love it, especially on the Boston DVD with the strobelight effects.

Fun to watch in the dark. :)

I would not be disappointed if the new album has a New York-ish sound.

It does sound like a Boy tune. Never thought of that. I remember seeing the Elevation tour for the first time and the effects they used for New York. The shadows with the long curtains. Very simple but stunning. It was cool seeing Edge and Adam in the backdrop while the New York beat begins.

yeah, they really play the song great live

but during the 3rd leg of Elevation, what happened to the "ba da ba ba da!"? that was the coolest part of the song!

i hope the song returns for the next tour!

Studio version, one of my least favorite U2 songs of all time...because of the lyrics, I think Bono dropped the ball on that one, or maybe he just let one of his children write them, I can't tell.

I did get a little bit more of an appreciation for it live though.

I think New York is full on heavy metal during the chorus!! :evil: I think that solo (that unfortunately isn't on the record) is one of Edge's best, it's one of his most melodic solos and it?s very Edge-like!!! Because that song comes right after the moment where Edge smashes his guitar on the DVD the beginning just feels weird for me cause I get the feeling that Edge just wants to step down from the stage, get in a car and go to his hotel (even though he seems to enjoy the song). The black and white was a good move but the director could have used the colors during the chorus! I honestly wish U2 plays that song again, at least when they go back to NYC! :yes:

discothequeLP said:
yeah, they really play the song great live

but during the 3rd leg of Elevation, what happened to the "ba da ba ba da!"? that was the coolest part of the song!

i hope the song returns for the next tour!
I really liked that too, but it probably didn't seem appropriate anymore after the lyrics were changed as a tribute.

26 October 2000, KROQ radio = best New York ever. It rocks so much; I love it.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Perhaps they'll play it again next year but I sort of doubt it as it is the kind of song that they play as new stuff from the new album but doesn't get played after the album's tour.

Great live song and really fun to play as well!!! It's in our set and it get's the crowd going.

Lyrics-yeah not the greatest Bono lyrics but they can't all be so deep. He was probably just amp'd on his recent purchase of his NY apartment when he wrote it and possibly a bit tipsy.

Bono B. Jones said:
Lyrics-yeah not the greatest Bono lyrics but they can't all be so deep. He was probably just amp'd on his recent purchase of his NY apartment when he wrote it and possibly a bit tipsy.

What? Are you kidding me? I love those lyrics, I think it's one of the best on the album.

Irish, Italians, Jews and Hispanics
Religious nuts, political fanatics in the stew
Living happily not like me and you
That's where I lost you, New York

And I also love the last part:

In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering
Come away now, to New York!

Of course he has better but to me those are awesome! :yes:

FullonEdge said:
Perhaps they'll play it again next year but I sort of doubt it as it is the kind of song that they play as new stuff from the new album but doesn't get played after the album's tour.

Hm, I think we will be hearing it. If the new album's a rocker, I can definitely see it hanging around (though not played often), though even if it's not, I'd be quite surprised if they didn't play it in New York. Especially now seeing it's a tribute song, I can see it being performed.

One thing I've sort of noticed as well is that their selections from the back catalog seem to balance out the selections from the album (If the album's songs are sort of softies than they choose to play more rockers from the back catalog and vice versa. Not that this is always true, but I think they really do strive for musical diversity on their tours now a days. So if this album is supposed to be more of a rocker, will we hear much of their previous rockers. you know what I'm saying?

Back
Top Bottom