"New York"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SunBloc said:
..agreed, ATYCLB is may be a little "sleepy" (Liked your adjective, Utoo) at the end. The scenario New York describes is kind of depressing too. It's about a mid-life crisis situation. Love the rest of the album, but I don't care for the gray picture of New York.

I always thought that was the point, though. The song shows the darker, more seductive side of the city. I wouldn't expect a wide-eyed paean to the city. Maybe on October or even War, when the band was still fairly new to America. But not in the year 2000.

There is nothing wrong in exploring the darker side of a situation. I think this is why we love U2's work - because we are realists and have many different emotions.. several at the same time, even. U2 has a great ability to paint a clear picture thru lyrics and music for people, and it is probably different from person to person. For me, this song brings about an emotion that I don't really want to hold on to. Interestingly, this has Nothing to do with New York, the city. Just seems a little like there's too much of a drifting hopelessness. The U2 songs I like best have some sense of hope, playfullness, or an intent to fight whatever wrong they're up against.

Sorry I rambled on. :D The band has not created a song that I dislike. Just like others better. :wave:

MsMofoGone said:
New York is my second fave off ATYCLB ... it totally rocks !! :bow: :bow:

Oh, how I :love: this song !! :applaud:

Me 2

It's not as poppy as the other ones..
And I like the drumming in the song.. the little jitter at the beginning leadin up to the first verse is brilliant.

:)

One of two songs (the other being WILATW) that rocks on an album full of otherwise cute and poppy songs.

New York is very energised and it wakes the album up towards the end. I actually think the lyrics are great.

It makes me want to see New York badly!

Back
Top Bottom