New Window in the Skies video!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, one of the main things I love about this video is that it comes off as a very humble and genuine appreciation of all these artists. The subtlety used here in just showing glimpses of Bono, Larry, Edge & Adam is such a refreshing change from say, the (cringeworthy) Vertigo video or any album cover, liner notes or video from the 00s. No mouth-wide-open, extremely overcome by emotion, jesus christ poses. Just happy faces in the crowd. Very very nice.

After watching it again with fresh eyes, I have to say..........

Very sweet, charming video. It fits the song well. I'm impressed. :)

btw there are 2 crowd shots from a Guster DVD in there, one if of 2 people kissing and another is of someone jumping into someone elses arms

so i dont know if that counts as Guster being in the video or not

Zootlesque said:
You know, one of the main things I love about this video is that it comes off as a very humble and genuine appreciation of all these artists. The subtlety used here in just showing glimpses of Bono, Larry, Edge & Adam is such a refreshing change from say, the (cringeworthy) Vertigo video or any album cover, liner notes or video from the 00s. No mouth-wide-open, extremely overcome by emotion, jesus christ poses. Just happy faces in the crowd. Very very nice.

Agreed. It was very beautiful!! Put the song in a totally higher light for me (even though I didn't think it was possible before)!!

Wow, I clicked on this thread sure that there would be page after page of bitching ... maybe I've been spending too much time letting teh internets make me cynical. :wink:

Off to watch it now - can't wait!

Most of the 00s videos were performance videos though (as are, in fact, most of U2 videos). Kind of hard not to do posing or wide open mouth shots.

I think BD, Euro Stuck and OOTS are better than this.
It does beat their other 00s videos. :yes:

i think its great to have a video where bono isnt humping the camera in some way or another for once.

U2girl said:
Most of the 00s videos were performance videos though (as are, in fact, most of U2 videos). Kind of hard not to do posing or wide open mouth shots.

You mean you don't like the Madden Stuck video???

The Edge falls down a flight of stairs!

U2girl said:

NA Stuck In A Moment is the only 2000's video that is not better than this crap...
Even the poor ABOY is better than this.

I think there might be a indirect, subtle Beatle reference in it after all.
After the bomb goes off, you can see black and white shots of audience, girls screaming. Could that be a Beatlemania-era shot and they're saying "they're the ultimate band, the atomic bomb that set us (pop music) off"?
Bono always used to say John Lennon was the first singer that really tought him music can change the world...

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I think it's Ronnie Spector.

I'm with you - I'm pretty sure that's not Tina Turner. My guess was Darlene Love, but after seeing this post, I have to say Ronnie. :wink:

Also, I think the older woman after Bjork at the beginning is Ella Fitzgerald? (oops, I think someone already beat me to that ID.)

I've only watched the 1.57 clip on youtube and I love the feel to it but it does look a bit cheap in places...

Plus I'm also a bit confused by some of the people who ended up in the video and those who got left out. :eyebrow:

But overall it's a nice enough video. :up:

I'm so glad it wasn't just a performance based video, I think what they've done does the song justice. Maybe it's just my crappo laptop, but it doesn't look very professional in places, I'll just have to wait see if it looks the same on TV I guess :wink:

i loved this video. but i think it'll probably change before it hits the video channels, think one by mark pellington.

Ladera Heights said:

This video made me cry tonight. It reminded me why I love music.

bingo.

that's what the song, and the video, are all about.

i think it's pretty brilliant, though it smacks a bit of R&H era U2 -- look at all these legends singing our song.

but what i think it's supposed to be saying is that, we're fans too, and there's a glue (the veins) that links us all.

and props to them to putting up new artist who, yes, are going to be remembered as giants, legends in the future, like Kanye and Mary J.

though, i wonder, where's Bruce?

Last edited:
Awesome vid! I just showed it to my dad and now I can hear him downstairs whistling WITS...something that didn't happen with just hearing the song without the video (which he has been forced to do for weeks). I feel like this video will leave a big mark because of the connection it makes to the older generations who can name every one of the acts in that video.

woooo!

coach said:
i loved this video. but i think it'll probably change before it hits the video channels, think one by mark pellington.

Anton Corbijn shot a video when they were at Abbey Rd. wich is also the picture used for WITS on U218.com

and I sincerely hope there'll be a 2nd video.

Did anyone else see the use of what looks like Vertigo tour arena crowd shots for a few seconds? There were those signature bright yellow lights flooding over a shot of a packed arena and I could have sworn that was from Vertigo Chicago or the Elevation DVD...

gabrielvox said:

LOL

And what that might be, exactly?

I think the video perfectly fits the song and explains it perectly. Think about the lyric. Think about what music/love has done. In that context the African kids make perfect sense also.

I really was disappointed with the song when it first came out.

Now I absolutely love it. All Because of this video.

That means it's one powerful video, if it's not theirs they better hire the person fast.

:up:

I'm not a fan of this video, because I interpeted this song as a reflection on a 30 plus year friendship between 4 guys. I'm not saying that the video should be a bunch clips of those last 30 years (Countless groups have killed that theme). It doesn't have to be chalk full of U2 either, but it could be done, if they gave it some thought. Like where was the clip of that person walking through the grass from? was it original for the video?

This video looks all mashed up, if it wasn't for the official U2 on Youtube stuff next to it, it looks like another fan made video on Youtube (that's what I thought it was for the first minute or 2).

I totally get the 'U2 are fans' interpetation, but maybe U2 will make a second video for the fans, with just a bit more U2 in it.

I bet some people got left out because 1) they weren't able to get a good edit in order to keep in meter with the song or 2) U2 couldn't get permission to use them in the video.

phillyfan26 said:
mullen%5Fwindowskies.jpg

OH MY GOD LARRY SMILED
hahahahah i knoww!!! yeahhhh =) =)

<3

i LOVE this video. what they've done here is obviously very well thought out and cleverly executed. it's so brilliant.
instead of having themselves on stage, they're in the crowd, celebrating music history, being the audience to all their influences. it's not just about them. This, coupled with the idea that "love left a window in the skies". even when things get rough, you can count on love to open up another perspective for you. it's beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom