"New" vs. "Old" U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Last night I was watching Rattle and Hum and then Elevation right after. I could not get over how much better live they are now. I never realy noticed it until now. The songs are so much more "structured" and flawless Edge's guitar is sooo much better and he is a much better player now(14 years). But I noticed the difference in thier youthfull vibrance and Bono's voice was like fire works exploding in the night back then. So if you could pick a time, excluding songs or tour, would you rather listen to the "old" or the "new" U2 based on thier sound?

Hey gherman I see in one more post you will be an acrobat. Which guy do you want us to post hot pics of in your honor?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
LMAO!

This is an interesting question. I love 'old' U2 very much, and I think Bono's voice, though it has lost some range, has a precious and sweet tender quality that draws me in. But, when I watch the old 80's tapes, I know that is the U2 I loved and always will. Sometimes, it is weird, and really hard to believe they are the same people. It's, for me, like the 'young U2' were somebody I used to know, but they are locked in the past, and 'old' U2 are different guys, but no, they are the same! It's weird and hard to explain. I wonder if even the other time experienced fans here will know what I mean.

I love old U2, I love young U2. But not in the same way, because as much as I'd like to believe they are the same guys, they aren't. But they are! Sometimes it blows my mind.

------------------
~*"I DO go on, don't I?"~*-Bono, after making a speech, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001~

I liked the seriousness of the late mid to late 80's U2. But I think I'd take the Achtung Baby era U2. They were kings of the world and they knew it. But they had fun with it. They poked fun at themselves while poking fun at the media.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I think popmart was their best at least they were being creative and reconstructed old songs.

I definetly go with the New U2, more artistic, focused and complex. Just a better band now. Don't get me wrong, I love all their stuff, Boy and JT are Great albums but they will never match Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Old Kicks Ass...i'll take Rattle & Hum over Popmart anyday

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

To think of U2 without their last 10 yrs of work-One, Zooropa, Stay, Acrobat, Gone, Kite, HMTMKMKM, BD, Walk On, actually, too many to mention-leaves the band feeling incomplete. Ya need it all to get the whole picture. I can't seperate the music into eras, the image maybe, but not the music.

------------------
Fuck, the cooler's empty!

Well, as I'm an ATYCLB-era fan, all the previous U2 incarnations are "old" U2 to me, but as far as 80s vs. 90s go, I find something to like and dislike in both eras and I can't really pick between them. I love the fact that they contrast each other so much and that each era and "mini-era" has it's own sharply defined sound and imagery. Even if I'm not crazy about some particular directions, I realise that somehow the whole picture wouldn't be as complete without them.

I'm sort of all over the place on this issue. I've seen them live in person for Elevation and Popmart, and I liked Popmart better (but they were both AMAZING, of course!). But still, a part of me wishes I could beam myself back to the late 70s-early 80s to catch them in a club!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Even if you exclude songs or tour, still I'd rather listen to the 'new' U2 sound. I agree with you that they sound so much better than the 80's. Especially the guitar, its sound is so 'rich'... And also, I don't know why but I like how Bono sounds right now. Although he cannot reach some of the high notes which he could back then, but he sounds much more emotional and touching...

Well... maybe that's just me...
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 04-26-2002).]

I noticed that a lot of the songs are played slower now than they were. Sunday Bloody Sunday is much faster on Red Rocks than how they play it now.

------------------
Cheers!
Meringue

Originally posted by gherman:
I like your personality stormy
smile.gif

Thank you! I'm glad someone around here does!
smile.gif

------------------
~*"I DO go on, don't I?"~*-Bono, after making a speech, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001~

One of these days I want to make a U2 live songs tape from all different eras. That would be fun. I love making mixed tapes! And the weirder the combinations, the better!

------------------

I have made my own 'greatest hits' compilations from my own CD's. I print cute pics to put on it. I love old U2, from the old days, but old U2, as in they are old now, are cool too. Remember I'm old too, no offense!

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

hehe...Well, I don't think of them as old. I think "old" isn't really a number. It has to do with how you feel and how you live. Don't know why I'm saying this, but anyway...

------------------

I personally can't choose.

However, many people I've talked to like U2's older stuff. I talked to a friend of mine the other day, and he said he has U2's 80's albums and loves them all...even "October"...but he doesn't like their 90's material.

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

Originally posted by wertsie:
hehe...Well, I don't think of them as old. I think "old" isn't really a number. It has to do with how you feel and how you live. Don't know why I'm saying this, but anyway...

Oh I don't really think me and U2 are old, just joking. Old age at 40, or even 35, is an old joke around here. There were some young whippersnappers who used to believe it, then others joked, now all the old ones get joked on and joke each other. There was a thread you must've missed when you were unregistered, it was called 'the shock of AB' or something like that. It's a good example of how old age jokes go here.

BY THE WAY DOCTORWHO IS THE OLDEST and most grizzled fart here, and he owes me a new rascal.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

I sometimes play my live U2 music in a row:
- first the New Years Eve
- then the Zoo TV songs
- and the Elevation songs

And there's something to be said for each period i think.

Back
Top Bottom