New Video on U2.com Pt.2 (new 01/11/2009)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it bizarre and pretty hard to believe that listening to the beach clips ruined HTDAAB for you. Don't you think it was because you just didn't like the songs?

No. They did.

When I heard the beach clips (which weren't exactly very clear) I kind of filled in the gaps of sound that I couldn't hear with my own expectations of what they would sound like. I got really excited for some of the songs, but was actually quite dissapointed when I heard the final product. It took me along time to kind of get over the fact that my initial impressions of the songs wasn't what was on the final album. I actually kind of imagined the songs being different from what they eventually were.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it clearly, but trust me....it didn't help. I'm not the only one. Plenty of people said the same thing when the album was released.

No. They did.

When I heard the beach clips (which weren't exactly very clear) I kind of filled in the gaps of sound that I couldn't hear with my own expectations of what they would sound like. I got really excited for some of the songs, but was actually quite dissapointed when I heard the final product. It took me along time to kind of get over the fact that my initial impressions of the songs wasn't what was on the final album. I actually kind of imagined the songs being different from what they eventually were.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it clearly, but trust me....it didn't help. I'm not the only one. Plenty of people said the same thing when the album was released.

I'm not going to be disappointed if this beach 4 clip sounds like something different on the album....if it's a great song I'm going to like it regardless of whether it aligned with my imagination or not....The only way I could be disappointed was if the song simply wasn't that great :shrug:

Question, is 'For Your Love' the same song as the one we are referring to as 'Only Love'? And is there any proof as to the correct answer?

No. For Your Love is probably the Mysterious Ways-sounding song that was recorded by someone when it was played loudly at HQ in Dublin (in May or something like that).

"Only Love" is the beach clip 4 from the summer 2008 Eze clips.

Sounds like a "lovey" album (snore).

No. They did.

Fair enough, but if the songs were truly great, then you probably wouldn't have been disappointed. This time, I highly doubt something similar would happen if you listened to these clips.

jeez..I cannot believe some people on here have been able to refrain from listening to these beach clips....with all the hype they're getting on here, deservedly so, it's insane how anyone could hold back! :shocked:

No. For Your Love is probably the Mysterious Ways-sounding song that was recorded by someone when it was played loudly at HQ in Dublin (in May or something like that).

"Only Love" is the beach clip 4 from the summer 2008 Eze clips.

Sounds like a "lovey" album (snore).
Cool, thanks. Edge said that 'For Your Love' had one of the most amazing riffs ever in a U2 song. It's just that you could say Clip 4 ("Only Love") could also fit that description! This song is massive.

Cool, thanks. Edge said that 'For Your Love' had one of the most amazing riffs ever in a U2 song. It's just that you could say Clip 4 ("Only Love") could also fit that description! This song is massive.

Edge said that? really? hmm....must've missed that :hmm:

jeez..I cannot believe some people on here have been able to refrain from listening to these beach clips....with all the hype they're getting on here, deservedly so, it's insane how anyone could hold back! :shocked:

I usually just lurk around (with only the occasional comment), but I had to
respond to this, Rob. Believe it or not, I have not touched the beach clips. :reject:
I don't know why; I just haven't listened.

I think that riff is the one that we have in the studio of the band jamming. We've seen it twice (edgeback clip) and then the one with the watch. I'm 95% sure that song is For Your Love.

I usually just lurk around (with only the occasional comment), but I had to
respond to this, Rob. Believe it or not, I have not touched the beach clips. :reject:
I don't know why; I just haven't listened.

incredible.....I suggest you do....:wink:

Although I like 'Only Love', it's not a departure from their 00's sound. That's why I'm not that excited about it.

Although I like 'Only Love', it's not a departure from their 00's sound. That's why I'm not that excited about it.

of course it is....have you listened to beach clip 4? Like somebody already said, the drums alone are a major departure if I'm hearing that beach clip correctly....

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Really, no! They should totally have their U2 fan licence revoked!!!!!!!!1

I haven't listened to the beachclips either. I made a decision a long time ago, that after a certain point, I wouldn't listen to anymore beachclips, and I've kept that promise. I listened to the ones from last spring, but none from the new batch over the summer.

No. They did.

I can actually relate to this. The songs get a more "mystical" touch because of the bad quality. Your mind tries to fill in all the gaps. And probably does that differently then U2 did it ;)

On the beach, "only love" (or whatever it is called) didn't strike me as being a great song and all. The mix was fair, maybe still a bit "back to basic". But, listening back to the clips, they grow on me and I really like what I hear.

Only time will tell whether my mind filled the gaps better or worse than U2 did :)

Fair enough, but if the songs were truly great, then you probably wouldn't have been disappointed. This time, I highly doubt something similar would happen if you listened to these clips.

Maybe.

I remember listening to some of the official clips from the ATYCLB sessions that were being released from U2.com.

I initially had the same thing happen with a couple of the songs. Some songs that sounded horrible in the 30 second clips sounded great on the album, and vice versa. Example: New York, horrible 30 second clip, phenonemal sleeper song on the album and eventually on tour. Another example, Stuck in a Moment, great 30 second clip, dissapointing song all in all on the album and on tour.

Did the clips really change my opinions on the songs? maybe and maybe not. You are right, a great song is a great song even if you hear a quick snippet of it. But, there's no doubt that you do indeed build expectations about a complete song based on snippets that you may hear. Sometimes those expectations may be quite large and don't live up to the actual thing.

So yeah, maybe it won't happen on this next album. But I'm not talking the chance. Not to mention the fact that there is something really great about hearing a song for the first time without any prior snippets or clips to influence your intial listen. I haven't had that experience since Zooropa and Achtung Baby; two of my favorite albums of all time.

I hope that I'll have that experience again with THIS next album.

No. They did.

I will agree that this was the case with "Miracle Drug" with me, too.

Yes, I definitely agree on Miracle Drug.

But I suspect I would have liked it a lot at first even if the album was my very first listen...and then I would have quickly grown tired of it anyway. I guess I believe that in the end, how you feel about a song down the road is probably not related to beach clip/small clip spoilerage...but I will agree that it probably takes away from the magic of the first listen.

Miracle Drug and All Because of You are the two songs that I got so excited about on the first initial listen of the beach clips. I still liked them alot on the album, but since then I've grown bored with those two songs. I'm still trying to realize why that happened the way it did. Usually its the other way around. I hear a particular U2 song and end up kind of hating it (examples: Numb, Dirty Day, New York) then after more listens I accept it, then after a couple of thousand listens I love it.

Weird....very weird.

I listened to the previous beach clips (All My Life, Thank You, etc) heavily for a while and have not listened to them in some time. The new 2008 clips got one listen apiece, and I haven't touched them since.

I'd rather be excited by a crisp, new, unheard song on an album, played through some nice headphones and in excellent quality, than excited by fuzzy beach clips and then only 75% excited by hearing crisp versions of already-heard songs. :shrug:

i Listened To The Previous Beach Clips (all My Life, Thank You, Etc) Heavily For A While And Have Not Listened To Them In Some Time. The New 2008 Clips Got One Listen Apiece, And I Haven't Touched Them Since.

I'd Rather Be Excited By A Crisp, New, Unheard Song On An Album, Played Through Some Nice Headphones And In Excellent Quality, Than Excited By Fuzzy Beach Clips And Then Only 75% Excited By Hearing Crisp Versions Of Already-heard Songs. :shrug:

Bingo.

I listened to the previous beach clips (All My Life, Thank You, etc) heavily for a while and have not listened to them in some time. The new 2008 clips got one listen apiece, and I haven't touched them since.

I'd rather be excited by a crisp, new, unheard song on an album, played through some nice headphones and in excellent quality, than excited by fuzzy beach clips and then only 75% excited by hearing crisp versions of already-heard songs. :shrug:

This is a good point, but I'm in it for the long haul first and foremost. I want a record I can listen to repeatedly for years. While having a magical first listen is great (and I treasure those from the last 2 albums), it's nothing compared to receiving a lasting masterpiece. And the long-term, masterpiece status of an album is not remotely determined by whether you listen to beach clips 500 times or never at all. You were either destined to love an album/songs or not.

I listen through a couple hundred albums, start to finish, per year. But generally there are only a handful that I touch weeks, months, or years later.

That said, rarely does a song like "Only Love" grab me like it has. None of the 2004 clips (and certainly not the 2006 clips) had the same effect as that track.

I agree; I listened to the 08 clips maybe 2-3 times each and then deleted them.

I wasn't impressed, but realized it's just a lousy bootleg.

I'll wait.

i figure if we here 4 or 5 songs from the album in poor quality beforehand, it whets the appetite, and w still have magical first listens to all the other songs, and the cohesive nature of the album as a whole. I listened so i didnt go crazy pver the next few months. its already been way too long

Just thought I should add some simple thoughts.

I have most, if not all, of the beach clips. I've listened to them once or twice each, specifically the newest(newer) ones. These video clips (all conveniently located in this thread, thanks!) have made me really excited again. Sometimes it looks like the recording atmosphere is a bit... I don't know... scattered? But there are a lot of promising sounds coming out of these clips, and since I hadn't seen the majority of them until this thread was posted, I sat and watched them all and am excited.

I think we as fans, patient and (mostly) true, are due a treat from the band. No clips, no beach listening parties... we need a song. These clips are great and all, but there's only so much to get excited about watching the band dick around or record part of a song... as exciting as those respective clips may be (I'll stop my self-contradiction).

Just thought I should add some simple thoughts.

I have most, if not all, of the beach clips. I've listened to them once or twice each, specifically the newest(newer) ones. These video clips (all conveniently located in this thread, thanks!) have made me really excited again. Sometimes it looks like the recording atmosphere is a bit... I don't know... scattered? But there are a lot of promising sounds coming out of these clips, and since I hadn't seen the majority of them until this thread was posted, I sat and watched them all and am excited.

I think we as fans, patient and (mostly) true, are due a treat from the band. No clips, no beach listening parties... we need a song. These clips are great and all, but there's only so much to get excited about watching the band dick around or record part of a song... as exciting as those respective clips may be (I'll stop my self-contradiction).

I don't think we'll suddenly see a complete song, but I think we'll hear more and more complete-sounding clips in the near future. As it should be, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom