New U2 recording with Leonard Cohen to be released in July on I'm Your Man soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halup

Refugee
Billboard.com today reported that U2's recording with Leonard Cohen on his song Tower Of Song will be released on the soundtrack album of the new film about Cohen. Here is their article:

U2, Wainwright Rock Cohen Film Soundtrack

June 16, 2006, 10:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
U2, Rufus Wainwright, Nick Cave, Beth Orton, Jarvis Cocker and Antony are among the artists paying tribute to legendary singer/songwriter Leonard Cohen on the soundtrack to the new Cohen documentary "I'm Your Man." The film opens July 14 in U.S. theaters, while the soundtrack arrives July 25 via Verve Forecast.

The bulk of the performances here were captured at a January 2005 tribute concert for Cohen in Sydney, Australia, staged by industry vet Hal Willner. At the show, Wainwright belted out "Chelsea Hotel No. 2" and "Everybody Knows," while Cave tackled the classic "Suzanne" and Pulp's Jarvis Cocker reimagined "I Can't Forget."

U2's collaboration with Cohen, "Tower of Song," was recorded separately at the tiny club the Slipper Room on New York's Lower East Side. Interviews with a number of the musicians from the concerts are also interspersed in the film with conversations with Cohen.

"I couldn't make this film without including him because I really wanted these songs to sort of be chapters in his life and blend him into the film in that way," director Lian Lunson told the Hollywood Reporter. "It was the challenge of trying to make that work with a concert with all of these performers and to bring him into the picture, as well, and include this sort of collage, so to speak, of his life through his poetry and his artwork."

Here is the track list for "I'm Your Man":

"I'm Your Man," Nick Cave
"Chelsea Hotel No. 2," Rufus Wainwright
"Everybody Knows," Rufus Wainwright
"The Guests," Laurie Anderson
"If It Be Your Will," Antony
"Sisters of Mercy," Beth Orton
"The Future," Teddy Thompson
"Winter Lady," Kate and Anna McGarrigle
"The Traitor," Martha Wainwright
"Famous Blue Raincoat," the Handsome Family
"Suzanne," Nick Cave
"Bird on a Wire," Perla Batalla
"I Can't Forget," Jarvis Cocker
"Alexandra Leaving," Linda Thompson
"Tonight Will Be Fine," Teddy Thompson
"Tower of Song," Leonard Cohen and U2

I saw a screening of I'm Your Man tonight (actually opens here in NY on Wednesday)...the instrumentation/sound on this version of Tower of Song is in the same vein as The Wanderer and their cover of Don't Take Your Guns to Town. Cohen (rightfully so) has most of the vocals but Bono comes in the second half. Nice Edgeguitar though. Actually very restrained and subtle vocals from the B-man, it was nice. Just don't expect U2 in big letters on this one.

As far as the film, it was OK...doesn't get real deep on Cohen's life - nice old footage of him though and a lot of focus on his songs. Rufus Wainwright did Hallelujah - that song is always stunning, I am surprised not to see it on the soundtrack! For some reason there were a couple of people who giggled loudly every time Bono and Edge were talking (they each appear briefly 3-4 times before the song, which comes near the end). I have to say though that Bono was very imitatable in the film...I don't think that is a good thing. :wink: I had to giggle a little myself though when Bono was making a comment, talking about something being on the edge of something and he paused on "...the edge..." :)

Hey, it was free... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom