New U2 interviews: Schedules and discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono's comments regarding SOE being "experimental" sounded more defensive than anything else.

I do agree with his general sentiment that writing pop songs, for them, is more difficult than doing something "experimental". Being experimental pretty much gives you leave to do whatever you'd like...writing a catchy pop or rock song requires discipline because there are some broad rules that you need to follow. And of course something being "experimental" is not guarantee that it will be good.

Most people who say they want U2 to be "experimental" don't really mean it. And the stuff they think is "experimental" (e.g. Pop) really isn't, it's actually quite derivative. Look at the rankings on here for the one time U2 was truly experimental, Passengers, to see how people really feel about U2 being experimental.

In any event, it's very unlikely that anything "experimental" will come out of sessions with Burton, Epworth and Tedder.

Listened to about half the Fanning interview.

1. Surprised when Bono said that only 4 people on earth can write so gs as good as those on SOI. "And I probably know them all." I won't say he's wrong, but that's some chutzpah.

2. He's very, very good at impressions and accents

Sent from

Listened to about half the Fanning interview.

1. Surprised when Bono said that only 4 people on earth can write so gs as good as those on SOI. "And I probably know them all." I won't say he's wrong, but that's some chutzpah.

Ha! I'm surprised bloggers haven't shouted out blasphemy.

In the interview Bono also said he went and checked fan sites to see the reaction to the album. I wonder if he got into forums as well. Scary thought.

Hopefully he saw my apology for calling him fat.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was actually thinking about that too. LOL. He's probably pushing away the snacks at the pub now because of you!! :wink:

If I decide to go to a concert on their next tour I'm thinking about bringing a sign that says "Bono, I'm sorry for all the fat jokes". If he acknowledges me, not only will it confirm that he reads Interference, he cares about my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Fanning interview was done with Bono at his house, all the others were phoned in, that's a whole different situation. With the phone interviews it seems Bono has his notes somewhere where he's written down the phrases he's saying over and over again. The Fanning one was certainly more relaxed, it was also longer, more in-depth and brought out a little emotion with Bono. I liked the defensiveness and little aggression that some of the questions seem to trigger.

Hopefully he saw my apology for calling him fat.

Just think he would mention that during an interview. I guess he's back on his fitness routine and diet now. :lol:

Don't think so.

Apple, U2 to Debut New Music File Format | Billboard
In Time's forthcoming cover story, Bono hints that the band's next record is "about 18 months away" and will be released under the new file format. "I think it’s going to get very exciting for the music business," Bono tells Time, "[it will be] an audiovisual interactive format for music that can’t be pirated and will bring back album artwork in the most powerful way, where you can play with the lyrics and get behind the songs when you’re sitting on the subway with your iPad or on these big flat screens. You can see photography like you’ve never seen it before."

There's also some radio interview in which Bono says SOE is about a year or a year and a half away, but then says he realizes he's not reliable with release dates.

I think SOE will follow the Songs of Ascent timeline but not as bad. I would say two years if we're lucky.

There's also some radio interview in which Bono says SOE is about a year or a year and a half away, but then says he realizes he's not reliable with release dates.

I think SOE will follow the Songs of Ascent timeline but not as bad. I would say two years if we're lucky.

Songs of Ascent timeline??? I.e Never?

Bono's comments regarding SOE being "experimental" sounded more defensive than anything else.

I do agree with his general sentiment that writing pop songs, for them, is more difficult than doing something "experimental". Being experimental pretty much gives you leave to do whatever you'd like...writing a catchy pop or rock song requires discipline because there are some broad rules that you need to follow. And of course something being "experimental" is not guarantee that it will be good.

Most people who say they want U2 to be "experimental" don't really mean it. And the stuff they think is "experimental" (e.g. Pop) really isn't, it's actually quite derivative. Look at the rankings on here for the one time U2 was truly experimental, Passengers, to see how people really feel about U2 being experimental.

In any event, it's very unlikely that anything "experimental" will come out of sessions with Burton, Epworth and Tedder.

There is a difference between experimental music and experimental music made by rock bands. Rock bands and experimental musicians operate in different worlds, and most people (including Bono) are aware of that. When I think of U2 being experimental I consider that to mean doing something daring for them, not making a Tim Hecker record.

All of the great experimental rock albums by mainstream artists - Sgt Pepper, Low, Zooropa, Kid A - are derivative of real experimental music, but they still manage to be utterly unique because it's being played by a rock band. You can say Pop is derivative, but there were no rock records that sounded like that at the time.

Passengers is their least experimental record of the 90s mainly because they were mainly in an ambient setting, and that seems to be a natural place for them to be.

I think that Rattle and Hum is U2's most experimental record because it's the farthest outside of their natural sound and tendencies.

Damn, Fanning has such annoying fast diction and accent...

Nevertheless, a good interview. I understood what he was talking about when he was missing some sonic experiments. While it is very unusual sounding record for U2, it´s a mixture of punk, 70´s, current pop sound. So, for U2 songs it is something new and fresh, for rest of the people it can sound pretty ordinary. Nevertheless, the record works and those songs are amazing.

Bono On The Air Monday At 5:30pm! « Alice@97.3
I still can’t believe that Bono called into the station this morning… the guy at the beginning of the phone call saying “OK, Jayn, I have Bono on the line for you” is pretty much the craziest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.

Bono did call, though… it happened, I know ’cause I just got done editing the interview… and I’m gonna play it back Monday evening!

Put an alarm in your phone now, to make sure you’re listening at 5:30pm (Pacific) Monday – Bono talks about different tracks on “Songs of Innocence, ” the start of U2, their intense intertwining with The Ramones, and ends the interview by singing a Slade song to me (true story.)

Monday, 5:30pm (Pacific).

Bono.

I’m freakin’ out.

x Jayn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom