New U2 albums and what will our reactions be.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Let's be honest here, how many of you are expecting a similar sound to ATYCLB? What are most of you expecting sound and production wise on this album. What are your wishes with this album and tour...let's talk.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that the new album will rock as promised. Even considering Bono's penchant for hyperbole, calling Full Metal Jacket (or whatever it's called) 'the mother of rock songs' sounds promising to me.

I think the album will be great no matter what, but for the tour, I hope more then anything else that it will be general admission again. I really just think thats the best way to go.

One thing's for sure, and that's that it won't sound like ATYCLB. I don't think U2 are going to be repeating that.

I want them to begin their tour in Australia, play my backyard, and then take them with me to design their setlists. I'm a setlist nut.

I think half the album will be heavy rock and the other half will be sort of like Atyclb but more happy slow songs not sad songs like Atyclb. Just like Jim said he heard about it being a cross between Zooropa and AB, sort of experimental heavy stuff. There will be 2 songs that are all out psychotic heavy (think something like the distortion in Mofo but with that crazy wicked end part in Exit.) A couple of ballads that will take us all by storm because all we talk about is the heavy songs. :wink:

I think it will sound like U2, a couple of songs will sound familiar, and the rest will be very different than what we are used to. It's a great formula that they guys have come up with. They do it just about every album...sans Zooropa which was a trip from start to finish.

:hmm:

I think the only similarity with ATYCLB will be the album will focus on songwriting again. IMO it will be a darker album, with Sep 11/new war and Bono's father's death surely an influence.

Soundwise and rumor-wise (and producing team-wise), I'm expecting something closer to 90's U2 sound -ABish in particular, ES-like but more punch, and faster. More Edge&effects than the last time around, at least those 4 or 5 rumored harder songs might be like that (lots of solos, possibly). The couple of ballads could be follow ups to such songs like WOWY, AIWIY, WGRYWH, Stay and GBHF. You know, big bittersweet love songs. And, obvoiusly some mid-tempo songs too.

Last edited:
Oh, you asked about the tour, too.
Apart from hoping they will visit the new EU members :D I think they will use stadiums this time. Running to stand still will be played, I dare say. Hopefully the ticket prices aren't :yikes: too high.

I'm 99% U2 won't go for the ATYCLB sound. U2 always comes up with something new. Plus, it will 4 years since ATYCLB, U2 has changed within that time.

As for what the new sound will be like...??? Bono has been talking about this heavy rock sound for a while now. Whatever it sounds like it will be great. U2 doesn't put out crap records.

once again, i think it will be all Creed covers, in remembrance of that great piece of shit.

mikal said:
once again, i think it will be all Creed covers, in remembrance of that great piece of shit.

:lmao:

I don't know why that cracked me up so much....

:hmm:
On the other hand, all the "raw, primary sound of guitar, bass and drums" and even the "it's like our first record more so than the last one" comments could mean it will be more like the earliest 80's stuff. :shrug:

what counts is that they're coming back, in a so poor music panorama we just need the return of the best band in the world! to be honest i would get very pissed off if they'd produce an album similar to atyclb, i don't dislike it, but it wasn't good enough. i'm waiting for their hardest album ever, i want tough rock, solos, i want a hard guitar, rumbling drums and a very strong bass...why not, u2's first hard rock album! this is the moment where u2 have to show that they reached a higher level, after 4 years you expect the best, and after 25 years of their career you expect that they'll show their absolute leadership in music! the tour will be huge and massive, i'm sure of this, what i really really wish is that they gonna perform minimum 2h 30 min maximum 3 hours!!

i think that u2 will tour both arenas and stadiums, arenas first. im recalling that about a year ago there were reports that U2 was working with a sound company that aims the sounds much like a spotlight. back then they said the technology was a few years away from being used. with that said i think we will get some of this by the time u2 tours the stadiums so the sound is at its greatest.

im hoping we will get a second dose of new U2 songs during the tour, along the lines of the U2 7 album from target, but completely new songs that will make the stadium tour. i believe the band has collected alot of great music, maybe too much to release on one album, but not enough for a 2cd set. i read on our 'u2 news' forum in the lanois interview that the band held onto alot of the material from this past winter, so lots of potential leftovers to get more work if you ask me

I'm looking forward to using these words

1. Sellout
2. Pop/Rock
3. Adult Contemporary (I still dont know what that is though)

ishkash said:

1. Sellout
2. Pop/Rock

My best guess is that you'll get to use all these quite a bit.

Number 1. = The Tour
Number 2. = The Singles
Number 3. = The Ballads

The rest will pretty much rock!!

I have no idea what 'adult contemporary' means but it was used to describe a couple of ATYCLB's crapper songs, so please no...

well if ATYCLB is adult/contemporary rock, then i really like adult/contemporary rock. that album had more heart, soul, and passion than anything on the radio these days.

There is some really good Adult Contemporary music, it's just not the type of stuff that gets much airplay, whereas Celine Dion is really popular. ATYCLB was a mix of rock and pop and just about any pop rock album could be considered Adult Contemporary.

It's just a manner in which the audience recieves it. The people who listen to Adult Contemporary radio are probably old enough to be casual U2 fans, which might mean a song like Stuck or IALW would fit the format.

Really it's arguing about semantics. It's a pop-rock record. A good record, not the reocrd that some of us wanted, but a good record nonetheless. It's not one of my favs, but noone can deny the impact it had on U2's fanbase.

I just think that some of us who loved the 80's U2 AND the 90's U2 didnt want to see U2 abandon the way they had progressed.
And they didnt forget how to write songs like MOFO or Acrobat, tehy were just in a different creative space, whereas some of us fans were in a different space in our lives and maybe we wanted a different album.

I would expect #11 to sound like ATYCLB and Achtung hybrid.
Strong songs, deeper lyrics, melodies, more Edge.

ishkash said:

1. Sellout
2. Pop/Rock

Let's not forget

4. Boring setlists
5. Bono can't sing anymore
6. Band plays their songs too slow
7. Bono is a musician not an activist
8. U2 didn't do anything good music-wise since POP

:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom