New U2 Album Title ("Hanover Quay") -- Did I Actually Call It?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it holds up, and I think it will, it's a great title! U2 fans would know what it is, but a lot of people would be :scratch: which is fine too, keeps people interested and leads to lots of good questions!

Yeah, where is Roug when we need him? (No, seriously, where is the old boy anyway?)

Back to this title, if U2 do indeed decide to use it, should I get some kind of royalties or at least credit on the album sleeve? I wouldn't ask for much in return, of course. I mean, even just a holiday with the band would suite me fine...;)

I'm impressed with the title, and also, if the studios do close down, then at least it'll be a way of remembering.... I love them studios!

reason # 19871230978 why I love Michael Griffiths!!!

Right on! Way to go, Michael. :D

*remembers the "bikini" days* lol.

That?s definitely cool Michael...it?s like when U2LA commented he wanted to see them playing 11 O?Clock Tick Tock again...and they did played it at Irving Plaza. Remember that?

:up:

Haven't the Beatles already used the studio as an album title with Abbey Road? U2 might get the kind of backlash they received with Rattle & Hum. It might seem like treading on sacred ground to some.
I know they never would, but what if they walked across the road apeing the Beatles cover! That would be scary. :barf:

Someone mentioned Windmill as a title once. That was pretty cool. It's a slight nod to the studo as well.

With titles like Achtung Baby & All That You Can't Leave Behind, I'd say it will be impossible to guess exactly what they will choose. I'm sure it will be interesting though....

Last edited:
YES! Michael! I remember you suggesting that! I read the working title at u2log this morning and immediately remembered someone on here had already brought it up, but I couldn't remember who. Ha! That's really funny.

Good job Michael!

It is starting to grow on me.

Yes David, I was thinking the same thing too.

congrats Michael!

if this will be the definitive title then I can't say I like it though

I absolutely love this title
I really hope they stick with it
it sounds completely different than any other of their albums.

I really like it!
*crosses fingers

Roland of Gilead said:
This certainly is a very fitting title. Hope it sticks.
:yes:

Hawkmoon are you saying people think just because the Beatles did it other bands can't?
I hate people who think like that. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :shrug: That's just my opinion though.

elevatedsoul2 said:

:yes:

Hawkmoon are you saying people think just because the Beatles did it other bands can't?
I hate people who think like that. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :shrug: That's just my opinion though.

That's not what I'm saying. IMHO U2 are at there best when they work with original ideas. I think their less successful moments are when they borrow ideas from the past, for example, some of the moments on, and in, Rattle And Hum. I love the song God Part II, but the title suggests, in a way, that U2 is writing the sequel to one of John Lennon's greatest songs. It's Lennon's statement on he feels about the end of the Beatles. It's pretty bold to attempt to write a Part II.

I feel similiarly about Hanover Quay. It's just my opinion. Hate me if you want. Abbey Road is one of the Beatles most popular albums. The studio is world famous. I would hate it if U2 got stick from the press again for seemigly aligning themselves with rock royalty so they can appear as heirs to the throne. They are heirs to the throne, they don't need to spell it out. Still, it's only a title, and I can see reasons why it would a nice tribute to the studio. All I'm saying is that it might be misconceived by some as U2 overreaching again. I did like the Let It Be-ish Streets video though. That was cool.

I'm just more in favor of some of their unique titles such as Achtung Baby & All That You Can't Leave Behind. When I first heard those, I was like, "Wow, that's different!" Perhaps many people won't make the Abbey Road connection & feel the same way about Hanover Quay.

Hawkmoon1021 said:

That's not what I'm saying. IMHO U2 are at there best when they work with original ideas. I think their less successful moments are when they borrow ideas from the past, for example, some of the moments on, and in, Rattle And Hum. I love the song God Part II, but the title suggests, in a way, that U2 is writing the sequel to one of John Lennon's greatest songs. It's Lennon's statement on he feels about the end of the Beatles. It's pretty bold to attempt to write a Part II.

I feel similiarly about Hanover Quay. It's just my opinion. Hate me if you want. Abbey Road is one of the Beatles most popular albums. The studio is world famous. I would hate it if U2 got stick from the press again for seemigly aligning themselves with rock royalty so they can appear as heirs to the throne. They are heirs to the throne, they don't need to spell it out. Still, it's only a title, and I can see reasons why it would a nice tribute to the studio. All I'm saying is that it might be misconceived by some as U2 overreaching again. I did like the Let It Be-ish Streets video though. That was cool.

I'm just more in favor of some of their unique titles such as Achtung Baby & All That You Can't Leave Behind. When I first heard those, I was like, "Wow, that's different!" Perhaps many people won't make the Abbey Road connection & feel the same way about Hanover Quay.

I get what you're saying about original ideas, but I don't really tie in album titles to the originality of the music on the album. I mean, Pop isn't exactly a wildly creative or original title, but the music certainly isn't your mainstream humdrum stuff. I don't think "Hanover Quay" really reveals anything of the type of music that's going to be on the album, and I doubt album sales will be hurt simply because of the title. But that's just me. :)

Hanover Quay would be a nice title, but I'd personally prefer something more descriptive, something that suggests the sound or mood of the new album - whatever that might be. I have a feeling they are just using Hanover Quay as a temporary or working title until the band has a grasp on what the new album is really going to be like.

Hawkmoon1021 said:

Point well taken. :yes: I don't hate you! You're very smart, you made some good points there!

Last edited:
elevatedsoul2 said:

Point well taken. :yes: I don't hate you! You're very smart, you made some good points there!

Oh, I know you don't hate me. Sorry if I came off a little defensive. :)

It seems like the majority of the people in this thread like Hanover Quay. I just thought I would present a senario on how some other people may perceive the title. Maybe they'll just call it U2?

Back
Top Bottom