New U2 Album in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
new talk from Bono, from u2.com interview.. nothing really new

Recent U2 studio albums have come roughly every four years… any clues on when the next one might arrive?

BONO: We don’t know yet but we’ve got three albums we’re working on. Our good friend Chris Martin says, ‘Well, why can’t you put the three of them together and put them out now?’ He makes a lot of sense but that’s just not how we work! I’d like to think that if things continue to go as well as they have with Brian Burton - aka Danger Mouse – then we’re going to shock some people with the new sounds and songs we’ve got.

also:

Are the changes in the digital landscape of music, from iTunes to Spotify and Facebook, informing the way the band are thinking about upcoming releases?

EDGE: There’s a lot of pressure to start thinking in terms of just one song because that’s the trend. Even on the big records people tend to just buy the one song. It’s a throw back to the period before the LP when everything was the 45. We’ve been kind of holding out against that because we love the album as a format, it’s what we grew up with, so for us it will still be album thinking for the next little while

BONO: But they better be good, we aren’t going to put one out unless we think every song on it is vital.

EDGE: And we’re greedy! We want to have impact on many levels. We want the impact of a collection of songs that people go away and live with, which get under their skin, but we also want the impact of a 45, the great single that reaches places and people that a long player wouldn’t.
We’ve been talking about PJ Harvey’s ‘England Shakes’ as one of the most important records of the year which shows that it’s still possible to make great albums, to allow the songs to go out there and fight for their own place in the culture. The ultimate of course is to have an album of tunes that are so compelling that they not only fit into what people are liking but actually change what people are liking – that’s our ambition.

new talk from Bono, from u2.com interview.. nothing really new

Recent U2 studio albums have come roughly every four years… any clues on when the next one might arrive?

BONO: We don’t know yet but we’ve got three albums we’re working on. Our good friend Chris Martin says, ‘Well, why can’t you put the three of them together and put them out now?’ He makes a lot of sense but that’s just not how we work! I’d like to think that if things continue to go as well as they have with Brian Burton - aka Danger Mouse – then we’re going to shock some people with the new sounds and songs we’ve got.

I like that quote!!!! I hope it will blow everything down and be a techno-rock album....:drool:

fuckssakes PJ Harvey's album is NOT called "England Shakes" - it's called "Let England Shake" - get it right boys! :angry:

also:

Are the changes in the digital landscape of music, from iTunes to Spotify and Facebook, informing the way the band are thinking about upcoming releases?

EDGE: There’s a lot of pressure to start thinking in terms of just one song because that’s the trend. Even on the big records people tend to just buy the one song. It’s a throw back to the period before the LP when everything was the 45. We’ve been kind of holding out against that because we love the album as a format, it’s what we grew up with, so for us it will still be album thinking for the next little while

BONO: But they better be good, we aren’t going to put one out unless we think every song on it is vital.

EDGE: And we’re greedy! We want to have impact on many levels. We want the impact of a collection of songs that people go away and live with, which get under their skin, but we also want the impact of a 45, the great single that reaches places and people that a long player wouldn’t.
We’ve been talking about PJ Harvey’s ‘England Shakes’ as one of the most important records of the year which shows that it’s still possible to make great albums, to allow the songs to go out there and fight for their own place in the culture. The ultimate of course is to have an album of tunes that are so compelling that they not only fit into what people are liking but actually change what people are liking – that’s our ambition.
I like what they're saying here. :up: Let England Shake is a good example of an album of an older established artist that succeeds at being an artistic success.

that Chris Martin idea is old I believe... pretty sure he suggested that to them at least a year ago.

Fall 2013 would be good, with a tour in 2014.

But I'd like to know all of this far ahead of time, so I can take what trips I want to take in 2013, and reserve my vacation time and money for U2 the next year. :wink:

I’d like to think that if things continue to go as well as they have with Brian Burton - aka Danger Mouse – then we’re going to shock some people with the new sounds and songs we’ve got.

Good. New is the key for them now.

Dont believe the hype! How good can U2 sound at the 50's? Seriously, i dont expect nothing better than Atyclb. They are too old, too rich, too acomplished to bring something really genious and fresh. No line is the best example: the best intentions, great ideas, good production but the lack of spark was really evident.

Dont believe the hype! How good can U2 sound at the 50's? Seriously, i dont expect nothing better than Atyclb. They are too old, too rich, too acomplished to bring something really genious and fresh. No line is the best example: the best intentions, great ideas, good production but the lack of spark was really evident.

Why do you still come here then? seriously thats the part that makes no sense here.

A whole lot better than they sounded in their 20s, or 40s even. Since NLOTH was so much better than ATYCLB. Heck, even Bomb was better.

A whole lot better than they sounded in their 20s, or 40s even. Since NLOTH was so much better than ATYCLB. Heck, even Bomb was better.

Agreed. I think that NLOTH is better than Boy, October, War, R&H, ATYCLB, Bomb, and is on the same level as TJT, Zooropa, and Pop for me, so I have reason to hope.

I didn't realize talent was allergic to success and passion for one's craft had an expiration date.

Bono did say the Chris Martin thing a long time ago, true, but he does like to repeat things in interviews, so he probably just said it again recently too.

I just re-read all of the feedback in the blog....good stuff. I am setting the over/under for the album at Fall 2013. I hope to be at at a concert with all of you by summer of 2014. What do you all think - over/under Fall 2013? :wave:

I just re-read all of the feedback in the blog....good stuff. I am setting the over/under for the album at Fall 2013. I hope to be at at a concert with all of you by summer of 2014. What do you all think - over/under Fall 2013? :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtk9ClbPK8Q

Sorry. :wink:

I think a Fall 2013 sounds likely for U2. Though I'd be much happier for something this year.

Listening to the Black Keys album "El Camino". Great record! Wouldn't it be great if U2... nah, wishful thinking. :crack:
:hi5:
That would be awesome, though I'd imagine that they're going for a more Broken Bells-ish direction (which would also be awesome, IMHO.)

My guess is that it'll come out at some point between fall 2012 and spring 2013, so...under.

I didn't realize talent was allergic to success and passion for one's craft had an expiration date.

My theory is that their best work (IMO) JT and AB came under times of intense pressure. JT living up to the standards they had set & we all know about what happened in Berlin.

Although they're still under pressure to deliver new material (they havent copped out by just playing the back catalogue) They know they've won the war whatever they record. And I think that's why their last three albums haven't been as critically acclaimed as the previous two I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom